You are not logged in.

#2951 2013-01-17 06:41:42

RaviSa

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hey All,
            I am from India. I am using Ubuntu on my systems. But just recently I bought a Raspberry Pi board. I decided I must give a try to Arch Linux and give a break to Debain based OS. I am looking forward to meet all who are interested in Raspberry Pi and Linux wink

Regards,
RaviSa

#2952 2013-01-17 08:06:19

x33a
Forum Fellow

@ RaviSa, welcome to the forums. Please note that you won't find support for the raspberry pi here, there's a separate project for that.

http://archlinuxarm.org/

#2953 2013-01-17 16:00:31

dmcampbell

Hello all!

So a little background... I'm new to Linux as a "desktop environment", but I've worked with Linux from a enterprise server standpoint for several years (SLES and RHEL).  Finally got to the point where I have some stuff that I want to do for myself, so I decided last night to try Arch Linux at home since I'm pretty familiar with the other two products.  Now I just have to figure out the window manager/desktop manager thing to see what is what (have twm installed currently as was in the X installation testing).

I look forwarded to seeing y'all around the boards!

#2954 2013-01-18 06:15:05

mrknify

line input a$ "hello world"
_ hello?
? a$

lols. been into linux for a few years now. first pc was a trs-80......

enjoying the struggle to set up arch on my netbook (winxp/oz_unity1.0/ultimate_edition....)
my lan on it is busted so I'm working on wireless, and (blah blah blah) installing to a 8g sd card.

figure i'll jump in with both feet.... must remember to backup my files... eventually.

I like the philosophy of Arch, but when it comes down to it I am really just another new face.  you wont see any other posts until its set up.

lg x110 swapped oit stock hd for a 650g.... used.... so many fun issues managed to partition around the bad spota... I hope knock on wood.

Last edited by mrknify (2014-02-03 00:21:39)

LG x110-L.a7b2a9 16g sd card, Arch Linux.(he has xp, oz unity, oz ultimate.)
Asus U36JC plan for duel boot w7 with Arch

#2955 2013-01-18 14:29:57

nomorewindows

mrknify wrote:

line input a$ "hello world"

?SN ERROR
OK

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2956 2013-01-18 15:24:18

Midasx

First let me tell you a bit about myself, I am 18 and currently trying to decide between going to University and getting full time employment. I have been using Linux for the last three years, mostly debian based distros but I did have a 6 month affair with FreeBSD and then later a similar fling with Arch. In that time I have taught myself some C, Perl and PHP; I've also played with C#, Pascal, Python, Ruby, Bash CSS and JavaScript, but they didn't really captivate me. I don't think that my skills are that amazing here is a half finished project for example!

As for community experience I ran a MyBB forum with 1000+ members for 6 months and I volunteer my time every Saturday at The National Museum of Computing and help out with the wonderful Young Rewired State. But now I want to help in any way I can with Linux, Perl and Arch; my long term plan is to become a trusted user, submit a package to CPAN and hopefully one day contribute code to the Linux kernel!

Whilst I was setting up my new UEFI (Thanks so much for supporting it!) laptop I was getting some great help from the IRC channel and the Wiki so I plan on trying to help out there when possible. I've already had a look at how to get involved which prompted me to post here. I've also had a look at some AUR packages and think that with some learning it is the sort of thing I could help out with.

So hello there, thanks for reading this, and if you see anything that you think might be good for me to read or get to work on give us a shout!

Midasx

#2957 2013-01-18 15:35:39

milo64
Banned
Website

hi, welcome to the forum.

That's all i got to say.

milo64.
Registered Linux User: #555436
My Blog @ http://milo64.blogspot.com/

#2958 2013-01-18 16:23:20

CrashLog

Why didn't you post this in the stickied thread for these kinds of posts?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=32421

"There are no problems, only opportunities for solutions."

#2959 2013-01-18 16:30:50

Midasx

CrashLog wrote:

Why didn't you post this in the stickied thread for these kinds of posts?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=32421

Because I am a tool who failed to read the Stickied threads. I did look for an introductions sub-forum, but clearly not hard enough!

Mods do as you please.

#2960 2013-01-18 17:09:21

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

merging...

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2961 2013-01-21 21:35:11

satori

Hello!

I've been using Linux as a primary system for about 3 years now. It's time to look deeper, understand it better and be able to tailor it a bit more to my own needs, so here I am smile

I decided to revive my old notebook by installing Arch on it. It is capable of running recent popular distros with lxde or xfce, however they're a bit too slow to work comfortably.
Although I'm aware of distros dedicated for older hardware, I think using Arch with awesome wm and just a handful of applications I need for that notebook could speed it up. If not, it is going to act as a testing ground before I put Arch on my newer PC.

#2962 2013-01-25 09:55:14

Taspel

Greetings everyone.

I just recently registered, but have been using Linux in personal manner for a good 12 years and proffessionaly for 7. 
Work as a senior linux admin (Ubuntu lts servers) in Oslo, Norway where i also live.

Been using Arch for a few years at home, but only been registered in the aur section. Since im a bit bored today, i decided to finally register in the forums as well.

Not big on posting, but who knows, maybe ill change my ways.

#2963 2013-01-25 18:44:12

dura

Hello. I am quite new to Arch, but always been interested in the Arch philosophy and the idea of learning through creativity rather than learning through consumption and surplus. I have been using Linux for only a year and half, but have completed my doctorate on it. I research organizational creativity and learning, at postdoctorate level. My experience of Linux is simultaneous with my research, and in the future may write some autoethnography of my experience. Only been on Arch a couple of weeks, but have learnt a lot, and enjoyed this time. I hope to be here a while.

Regards.

#2964 2013-01-26 02:19:14

Pacopag

Hi dura.  Welcome to Arch!  Any chance you'd post a link to your thesis?  I'd like to read it.

#2965 2013-01-26 19:44:13

Xlaits

Hey, everyone! I'm here to learn about Arch, and because I'm taking classes that will soon involve Linux! I'm a great guy to work alongside, and emphasize teamwork wherever I go. I don't get mad quickly, I just bottle it up for later.
I'm a HEAVY gamer, mainly for PC, so I doubt I'l' be using Linux much, but I'll use it as often as I can... assuming I can get pacman to work... (see my topic here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156909 )

#2966 2013-01-27 00:25:18

pdxken

Hi folks.

About 3.5 years ago I tried Arch Linux on my old desktop rig. Upgrades broke it twice in 2 weeks. That was discouraging so I went back to Kubuntu.

Couple weeks ago I decided to try it again on my old laptop. So far daily upgrades have caused no problems. Using LXDE works great on this oldy. After a few glasses of encouragement I decided to venture into the land of AUR and install Razor-qt. FAR OUT!! It works! Far out? Yea, I know, that dates me. Age 66.

If this hangs in there I may try Arch KDE on my newer desktop unit. Should be fairly painless as I keep all my stuff on a separate /data partition with several OS partitions to play with.

Special thanks to the ArchWiki. What seemed interesting previously was that stuff I needed to Google showed a high percentage of links to ArchWiki.

Thanks.
Ken.

#2967 2013-01-28 01:24:31

CyberNhull

Hello people. I'm totally new to arch been using fedora for 1 year after cannonical killed ubuntu (at least for me). Decided to try arch since i was already familiar with linux and to take a step forward on my knowledge about linux xD. I'm loving the experience so far nothing compares to it. Still have some doubts and questions xD please bear it with me ^^

If it does not kill you....It will make you smarter

#2968 2013-01-28 19:32:24

dura

@Pacopag: Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I wrote my doctorate on Linux based machines. I used them. The actual research is on musical organizations in North West England. I would like to write some research papers in the future on Linux. I think forums as an opening into the nature of knowledge and learning in Linux is an interesting topic. Who knows...

#2969 2013-01-29 16:57:09

distronicon

Hi everybody,

nice to see you all here. My first touch with Linux was SuSe, then going over to Ubuntu, from there to Debian (stable -> testing -> sid)... and now I'm here. Let's have a good time! smile

#2970 2013-01-30 06:12:11

jlb5710

Pretty basic story here:  I've used many different distros (Debian, Ubuntu, LinuxMint, and others) over the past few years but never felt like I really understood the system behind the DE. I am working to repurpose a couple of desktops as servers and reclaim a laptop, so Arch is a great way for me to accomplish those things and learn along the way.

#2971 2013-01-30 13:54:53

gary_tuxhat
Banned
Website

Hello! look who is back wink

Please do not banned me >.<

Last edited by gary_tuxhat (2013-01-30 13:57:06)

Keep It Simple Stupid

#2972 2013-01-30 21:18:04

kar

Hello everyone,

I'm from Berlin in Germany. I'm using Kubuntu for 4 years, but now I haven't anymore the patience to wait for new software versions (e.g. KDE 4.10 is only for Kubuntu 12.10/13.04 and not for the LTS-Version of Kubuntu 12.04) and make every 6 month a big upgrade to get new versions of some software (not of every software has a PPA).

Kubuntu was my first and only Linux-Distri so far. Before I'm starting to using Kubuntu I was Windows-User.

Because of that and because of my interest in a Rolling-Release-Distri, I had decided to install Arch and it was easier than I thought. Most of my hardware works Out-Of-The-Box and after a few days with Arch I never want go back to a distri like (K)Ubuntu. pacman and yaourt (AUR) are really amazing. The performance of my system and especially of KDE (4.9.5) is better than with Kubuntu 12.04. 

Only my printer isn't working with Arch (but it works with Kubuntu), but this is the wrong place to discussion about it. At the moment I have only a thread in the german forum of Arch, but I haven't yet a solution for my printer. My english isn't very well, but maybe I will open a thread in the hardware section forum about the problem with my printer.

Last edited by kar (2013-01-30 21:19:34)

#2973 2013-02-02 19:48:24

ManceRayder

Hello,

Yet another convert from Ubuntu, here. I've been using various distros for 6-7 years now, mainly Fedora for about a year and then Ubuntu for a few years after that. I've been steadily growing dissatisfied with that distro over the past 2 years or so, first with the introduction of Unity (dock? what is this, MacOS!?) and the recent introduction of spyware in 12.10 was the last straw for me. And I've been ready for something more hands-on anyway. I'm not a power user by any means, but I felt competent enough, so last month I built Arch on my machine. It's already my favorite of all the the distros I have tried. I went with XFCE because I want to manage my system resources carefully ( some stuff still overheats the machine, tho, such as the game 0AD -_- ). Pacman is just great, a pleasure, in fact. I probably will not be a very prominent user, but in time I hope to contribute some packages in the AUR.

See you around.

#2974 2013-02-02 22:01:13

KoreanTux

Hello, my name is John Kim, a 16 years old junior in high school and Linux newbie. 

For a year, I've been an Ubuntu user.  But after learning more about Linux over the months, I wanted an extra challenge and experience a purer Linux experience, one without a GUI. Thus, I found ArchLinux.  At a hacker meetup too, I met an ArchLinux user who enjoys the system because the DIY experience is beneficial in becoming one with the machine.

I decided to coexist and experience both communities.  Currently, I am setting up an ArchLinux desktop.  By my side, I have an Ubuntu raring laptop.

#2975 2013-02-03 00:30:43

gupti

Hello! I've been a Linux user since using Ubuntu 9.10, but only recently did I switch to Arch. I've been browsing the forums for a couple of months now, and decided to make an account.

I have two Linux machines, a laptop and a desktop. Arch Linux was recommended to me by a friend, and decided to use it after a failed Ubuntu install (GRUB no longer worked after a couple of boots, graphics drivers weren't working properly, etc). It was difficult installing the first time but now I think I've got the hang of it. I was running Ubuntu on my desktop, but after upgrading XP to 7, I could no longer boot into Ubuntu and my computer did not want to boot Live CDs. The only distros that it would accept were Arch, Debian and Haiku. I tried Debian, but again, graphics did not work properly, and my wired connection was very unstable. Arch seems to work very well on it now, and I love that the repositories are so large and constantly updating. I've also become slightly less of a Linux noob due to Arch. Both of my computers still have  functionality problems that I still need to fix, but nothing critical. Hopefully can learn more in the future!

Last edited by gupti (2013-02-03 00:32:21)

Board footer