You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-21 09:32:16

wolfdogg

[solved} vlc fails to stream password protected user@filename.avi

see this thread for reference https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=145225 

so now i think i am finally to the bottom of what may have happened because the problem is back, and i think i know what is causing it now.

the issue im having in a nutshell is im not able to play files on vlc, or basically any media player on my laptop DE, over a samba share accessing media files from a windows 7 file server. 

the setting that breaks it, i believe, is when i turn on "password protected sharing" in the windows 7 advanced sharing features.  Obviously this is a coveted feature in a multi user environment to keep other users from deleting/altering anothers files.

the symptom is when this setting is turned on, when a media player accesses the files using samba, one needs to enter user credentials to access file, so the new filename now becomes username@servername/filename.avi, which breaks vlc.  it doesnt appear to know what to do with a file that begins with a username and an @ symbol.

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'smb://wolfdogg@redtail/UserFiles/PublicArchive/Downloads/dl_torrents/completed/Jackass-Number.2%5B2006%5D%5BUnrated.Edition%5DDvDrip%5BEng%5D-aXXo/Jackass-Number.2%5B2006%5D%5BUnrated.Edition%5DDvDrip%5BEng%5D-aXXo.avi'. Check the log for details.

when password protected sharing is turned off, samba is able to access the file normally as servername/filename.avi and vlc has no problem streaming this one.

is there some setting for smbclient i need to adjust to get it to handle this? i had samba installed, but i removed it until i can get this problem resolved. 

edit, i normally dont have to mount anything (related to samba) separately,  but IS this a case where i need to actually mount it with user credentials if i have the share set up this way?  Im thinking if its mounted with user credentials it wont have the username@ portion in the file path anymore.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2013-09-30 04:51:30)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2013-03-24 07:45:43

wolfdogg

Re: [solved} vlc fails to stream password protected user@filename.avi

so nobody has seen samba access files with the username prepending the filename?  is this just a simple mount issue?

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#3 2013-03-28 09:10:58

wolfdogg

Re: [solved} vlc fails to stream password protected user@filename.avi

i drafted the solution here,
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Us … ows_shares

why is it i seem to get no comments on most of my posts, do i just do wierd stuff, or have i offended someone?  :-| 
If your not sure if i do wierd stuff, read the link above, lol.

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer