You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-30 16:11:09

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Can't have access to my apache installed computer remotely

armb78, we are getting off on a tangent here.  No matter what, you need to set your router up to allow a port from the public Internet to reach your local computer.

This Wikipedia article describes what we are trying to do.  WorMzy's suggestion is for remote forwarding; I do not think it is what you need for a basic setup.

Assume, for a moment, that your Internet address assigned your router by your ISP is 66.211.214.131.  (It isn't, that is an Archlinux address)  If someone where to browse to 66.211.214.131 and hit your router at port 80, it would have no clue what to do with the request, so your router will politely deny the request, or impolitely, quietly drop the request.  In this way, the router acts as a firewall protecting your network.  If you want to do something with those requests, you have to tell your router to forward those requests to a computer on your private network.  In this case,  192.168.1.35 , port 8081.  In other words, you are forwarding from 66.211.214.131 port 80 to 192.168.1.35 , port 8081.  I think you found the correct screen in your router setup page.  Unfortunately, we cannot help you much with your router.  Maybe if you told is the make and model, someone might be able to chime in. 

A couple last things.  Some brain-dead defective-by-design routers do not let you change port numbers; for example, the stock firmware on my Netgear router would not let me forward from port 8080 on the Internet side to port 80 of a local computer; you could only forward to the same port number.  (BTW, I 'fixed' that by running DD-WRT firmware on the router and trashing the Netgear firmware, but I digress).  Also, as a moderator, I can obtain the IP of your router.  When you get this set up, at your request, I would be happy to discretely look up that address and tell you if I can see your server through your firewall.

Edit typo.  s/touter/router/

Last edited by ewaller (2013-03-30 16:12:01)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#27 2013-03-31 08:32:36

armb78

Thanks for the information
I searched, but there's no guide for my router. It's a wixfmm-130, and it's not a famous one. I tried what I thought would work, but it didn't. It wants an IP, I gave it 192.168.1.35, and it wants a beginning and ending port, and I gave Apache's default port. Then I rebooted the router. but it still doesn't work.

#28 2013-03-31 14:10:31

ewaller
Administrator

I sounds as if you cannot change the port number.  If you set the router to port 80, then move the Apache configuration back down to port 80 also.  Either that, or tell the router to use port 8081, but then people browsing to your site will have to use the non-standard port number.

One last question, some ISPs block port 80, do you know for sure if your's does or does not?  You could be forced to use a non-standard port.  This is where remote port forwarding comes in to play.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#29 2013-03-31 16:56:14

armb78

Standard port or non-standard port, it doesn't work

#30 2013-04-02 12:03:47

armb78

ok, now, I have a D-link DSL-2640T, and there's a guide for it on the website that WorMzy told. I tried, but it still doesn't work

#31 2013-04-02 14:24:23

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

What doesn't work?

All your posts seem to have the same theme. Show us the steps that you took. Simply saying it doesn't work doesn't help anyone here to help you. Show us the errorr or at least the steps you take.

We cant just sit here and assyme that you did things correctly. It might sound harsh, but you need to learn how to ask questions the smart way.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#32 2013-04-02 15:44:34

armb78

I did whatever this page told me to do:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/ … Apache.htm

I set all the ports as 8081. Then I rebooted the router, and typed my IP in. But it still gives the error "Unable to connect"

Board footer