You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-10 14:55:15

sPHERE
Website

DLNA streaming interrupted

Hi,

not sure if this is a networking or laptop issue, so Im posting it here anyway. Feel free to move the thread.

I recently have set up my laptop as a Minidlna server to stream videos etc. to my SmartTV.

However, everything works great, but when Im watching a movie (with AC power), after about 20minutes, the streaming just stops and disconnects from the streaming.

However, I can reconnect to my PC if I press the refresh button on my TV to scan after new devices (but I have to fast-forward to where I was when the connection was interrupted, a pretty tedious task...)

Also, everything seems normal when I open my laptop-lid again - Im still connected to the wireless network and everything, and the minidlna-daemon is still running.
(And yes, I have the laptop set up so that nothing happens when I close the lid. The same thing happen if I dont close the lid)

Not sure if this is an issue with my PC going in some sort of powersaving? I have disabled all of the wireless powersavings in laptop-mode-tools (/etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/), but this doesn't help. Maybe something that has to do with udev?

The laptop is a Asus K55VJ.

This does not happen in Windows.

#2 2013-04-10 15:22:06

sPHERE
Website

Re: DLNA streaming interrupted

Actually, this just happened when I tried with another laptop which have Windows 8 on it.

Guess the problem is not my PC then.

Thread can be closed.

#3 2013-04-10 15:26:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

maybe you routers dropping connections ? Make sure you have static ip assigned to your tv and your computer.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2013-04-10 15:42:51

jakobcreutzfeldt

For what it's worth, I have the same problem with MiniDLNA (on a ARM device running Debian) and a Samsung SmartTV. Since you're also having the problem with Windows, I'm leaning towards it being a router or TV problem.

note: I know my Debian device is not eligible for help here; I'm not asking for help, just confirming behavior

#5 2013-04-10 16:32:30

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

For what it's worth, I have the same problem with MiniDLNA (on a ARM device running Debian) and a Samsung SmartTV. Since you're also having the problem with Windows, I'm leaning towards it being a router or TV problem.

note: I know my Debian device is not eligible for help here; I'm not asking for help, just confirming behavior

I use minidlna on my desktop with my Samsung TV. Never had any disconnects. maybe you should use Arch instead of Debian too wink

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2013-04-10 17:58:08

sPHERE
Website

Inxsible wrote:

maybe you routers dropping connections ? Make sure you have static ip assigned to your tv and your computer.

Im going to try this again now, just assigned static ip's.

#7 2013-04-10 20:16:42

defears

I have the same thing happen on second gen Roku. I found out the firmware can't handle high VFR very well. Cuts out on certain videos. It's a long standing known bug and I stopped using it. But all other devices in house work without problems.

Maybe try to update the TV. What make and model?

#8 2013-04-10 20:26:47

jakobcreutzfeldt

Inxsible wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

I use minidlna on my desktop with my Samsung TV. Never had any disconnects. maybe you should use Arch instead of Debian too wink

I would if I could. Unfortunately, thanks to the joys of ARM computers, I'm stuck on an ancient kernel provided by the hardware vendor. It's not compatible with recent udev versions, hence incompatible with Systemd, hence incompatible with Arch Linux ARM and its rolling release ways...on paper at least. One day when I have free time and an extra SD card, I'll give it a try.

Board footer