You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-12 09:00:16

swordfish

[Gnome 3.8] Recommended way for upgrade? [SOLVED]

Hi folks,

upgrading Gnome from version 3.6 to 3.8 by using "pacman -Syu" doesn't seem to be the best way to do this. When I gave it a try yesterday, pacman asked me on a lot of packages (Gnome 3.6) if I want to replace them with different packages from Gnome 3.8 (looks as if the packages are arranged/renamed in a new way). In the end, pacman stopped because of some conflicting dependencies.

So, would it be better to re-install Gnome using

# pacman -S gnome gnome-extra

although Gnome is already installed on my system?

Or do you know any other appropriate way to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8?

Thanks wink

Last edited by swordfish (2013-04-12 20:35:45)

Arch_x64 on Thinkpad Edge E520 (Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD) + ITX-Desktop (Asrock H77M-ITX, Intel Core i3-2120T, 8GB RAM, 64 GB Samsung 830 SSD)

#2 2013-04-12 09:10:48

sidneyk

Re: [Gnome 3.8] Recommended way for upgrade? [SOLVED]

swordfish wrote:

Hi folks,

upgrading Gnome from version 3.6 to 3.8 by using "pacman -Syu" doesn't seem to be the best way to do this. When I gave it a try yesterday, pacman asked me on a lot of packages (Gnome 3.6) if I want to replace them with different packages from Gnome 3.8 (looks as if the packages are arranged/renamed in a new way). In the end, pacman stopped because of some conflicting dependencies.

So, would it be better to re-install Gnome using

# pacman -S gnome gnome-extra

although Gnome is already installed on my system?

Or do you know any other appropriate way to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.8?

Thanks wink

You may want to try :

# pacman -S testing/gnome testing/gnome-extra

Although you may still need to resolve any conflicts. It seemed like it was mostly the gnome games being replaced with ones that had slightly different names and I had to remove gnome-games-extra-data first.

#3 2013-04-12 14:38:56

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

WRONG! !

pacman -Syu is the only way you should be upgrading. Remember, partial upgrades are not supported and will lead to a clusterfuck

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2013-04-12 15:22:35

hadrons123

Another way of doing is removing all gnome, gnome-extra 3.6 versions. Enable testing repo install gnome, gnome-extra 3.8 versions. Worked for me without any problems.

Last edited by hadrons123 (2013-04-12 15:23:08)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#5 2013-04-12 15:38:27

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

hadrons123 wrote:

Another way of doing is removing all gnome, gnome-extra 3.6 versions. Enable testing repo install gnome, gnome-extra 3.8 versions. Worked for me without any problems.

This would actually be the preferred way of doing it (making sure to install using -Syu). Cherry-picking from the testing repos is a bad idea.

All the best,

-HG

#6 2013-04-12 15:38:55

tomk
Forum Fellow

swordfish wrote:

When I gave it a try yesterday, pacman asked me on a lot of packages (Gnome 3.6) if I want to replace them with different packages from Gnome 3.8 (looks as if the packages are arranged/renamed in a new way). In the end, pacman stopped because of some conflicting dependencies.

If that's all you're going to post, you should just wait till it hits extra. The testing repo is called that for a reason - by using it, you're effectively volunteering to test, and as a tester, the very least you need to do is post detailed accurate error messages, not vague descriptions.

If you want to help, run your -Syu again, read the output carefully, and then post it here.

#7 2013-04-12 16:25:22

sidneyk

Inxsible wrote:

WRONG! !

pacman -Syu is the only way you should be upgrading. Remember, partial upgrades are not supported and will lead to a clusterfuck

Actually, like the OP, I originally tried #pacman -Syu, which because of at least some Gnome 3.8 packages hitting testing, which I have enabled, would not succeed mainly because of the changes made within gnome-games and it's dependency with gnome-games-extra-data. I had to manually remove gnome-games-extra-data first before running #pacman -Syu again and answering yes to all the name changed gnome-games to be replaced by the new counterparts. I rebooted after that and ran the pacman upgrade command again which came up clean. I was still experiencing some little issues here and there and it didn't seem like everything 3.8 got pulled in and subsequent pacman runs were wanting to downgrade some of the packages I just upgraded. I read in this thread below, where folks had been testing gnome 3.8 from unstable, a suggestion after it hit testing, that running #pacman -S testing/gnome-extra was necessary to get everything working:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1257391

When I later ran #pacman -S testing/gnome testing/gnome-extra, it wasn't really a matter of cherry-picking anything anymore than running that without testing enabled would be. In this case, it was merely reinstalling all the gnome and gnome-extra newest stuff (and maybe pulling in anything that somehow got missed) because of the quirks I was seeing with pacman's behavior. Normally, pacman seems to pull from testing fine if something newer is there. I keep the testing repos enabled and, at least once a day, run #pacman -Syu to obtain my updates / upgrades. I also install packages that are new to my system with #pacman -S pkgname, normally allowing pacman to pull in whatever it decides per it's conf file. I wasn't recommending that the OP turn on testing, grab what he wanted without doing a full upgrade first, then turn off testing, because I know that will quickly lead to a borked system.

Last edited by sidneyk (2013-04-12 16:27:40)

#8 2013-04-12 20:34:50

swordfish

Okay folks, I've got Gnome 3.8 up and running smile . I did it the way hadrons123 described in posting #4. I've removed all of gnome and gnome-extra 3.6 version and then I made a clean Gnome 3.8 install.

As far as I can see, everything is okay. The extensions I've installed under Gnome 3.6 are gone, but I've expected this.

The original problem with "pacman -Syu" from my opening post resulted - as described by sidneyk - from the split of gnome-games and its dependency with gnome-games-extra-data.

Arch_x64 on Thinkpad Edge E520 (Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD) + ITX-Desktop (Asrock H77M-ITX, Intel Core i3-2120T, 8GB RAM, 64 GB Samsung 830 SSD)

#9 2013-04-12 21:40:46

archBSD

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone who has tried the new gnome 3.8 been able to use the classic mode? When I try to switch from the login screen it's missing. Thanks!

#10 2013-04-13 02:31:09

hadrons123

there is hack for bringing the classic mode in gdm https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159425 . But for some reason fallback mode is crashing on my system.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#11 2013-04-13 03:30:35

sidneyk

archBSD wrote:

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone who has tried the new gnome 3.8 been able to use the classic mode? When I try to switch from the login screen it's missing. Thanks!

Gnome 3.8 Classic mode requires this:

# pacman -S gnome-shell-extensions

Then you will be able to choose the classic mode session from the gdm login screen. Be aware that this is NOT the same as fallback mode, but rather a defined collection of extensions configured to make Gnome Shell look more like classic gnome 2.

Last edited by sidneyk (2013-04-13 03:32:30)

#12 2013-04-13 06:59:03

archBSD

sidneyk wrote:
archBSD wrote:

Gnome 3.8 Classic mode requires this:

# pacman -S gnome-shell-extensions

Then you will be able to choose the classic mode session from the gdm login screen. Be aware that this is NOT the same as fallback mode, but rather a defined collection of extensions configured to make Gnome Shell look more like classic gnome 2.

Thanks a lot. Writing this message from Classic mode. Looks very delicious. The shell consumes somewhat less memory, I noticed. Now if they only would tweak it to consume around 150mb like KDE and Cinnamon.

#13 2013-04-17 17:36:59

felipense

can you tweak gnome 3.8 panel to look like cinnamon?

#14 2013-04-17 17:41:34

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

felipense wrote:

can you tweak gnome 3.8 panel to look like cinnamon?

If you can apply a user theme. You can make it look like whatever you want. Even Windows 8, ostensibly…

All the best,

-HG

#15 2013-04-18 02:41:45

jjshinobi

I believe I got it working. I removed all of gnome, and because of some dependencies I had to remove other things to remove gnome's extras. So I ended up doing:

sudo pacman -Rns gnome-icon-theme-symbolic alacarte evince gnome-
color-manager gnome-documents gnome-desktop sushi gnome-screensaver gnome-settings-daemon nautilus gnome-control-center gnome-icon-theme epiphany gdm gnome-panel gnome-shell libgweather gnome-icon-theme-extras totem totem-plugin 

I enabled testing by removing # in:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf 

Then I ran:

sudo pacman -S testing/gnome testing/gnome-extra 

Then:

sudo pacman -Syu 
sudo packer -Syu

Then:

sudo pacman -S gdm

I did a reboot. It worked but USB Ethernet, PCI Ethernet, and wifi card names are not showing up. At first I couldn't connect to the Internet but dhpcd -k solved it. I've gotten the oh no something went wrong error, and logged out, it asked me for keyring permissions and that was it...Rebooting it the third time, I've noticed it takes a whole minute to load gnome now. Now I'm off to another thread to decrease this load time. Thanks.

Last edited by jjshinobi (2013-05-02 18:19:32)

#16 2013-04-23 05:40:36

donniezazen
Website

Inxsible wrote:

WRONG! !

If there is a conflict, when I run pacman -Syu, that can be resolved by either removing it or updating package individually is still not recommended. In this case I should report it to forum or wait.

Board footer