You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-14 02:09:45

edumstpu

VirtualBox on ArchLinuxARM

Hi.

I wonder if it's possible to run VirtualBox on ArchLinuxARM. I checked and it's not available on the official packages. If so, would the current ARM devices, such as Raspberry PI or CubieBoard, be enough to virtualize a windows environment?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2013-05-14 03:08:22

ewaller
Administrator

Re: VirtualBox on ArchLinuxARM

No.
Virtual Machines are not emulators.  They create an artificial machine that creates simulated I/O, *but* the programs themselves run native code directly on the host processor.  Emulators, on the other hand, simulate the guest CPU.

VirtualBox and VMWare are virtualization.
Things like Linapple (An Apple ][ emulator) actually simulates a 6502 processor.

An ARM processor cannot virtualize X86 / X86_64.

Also, be aware, these forums are not the right place to be looking for ArcLinuxARM help; that is a different distribution by a different organization.

Last edited by ewaller (2013-05-14 04:50:27)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-05-14 04:31:42

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

FWIW, qemu can emulate architectures other than what it is running on, although performance in these setups is... lacking....   I would be surprised if you could get Windows to run in any usable way under it.

#4 2013-05-15 11:35:23

edumstpu

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I need some specific software that is made for X86, so I won't be able to migrate to an ARM platform so soon.

#5 2013-06-29 16:12:54

hobarrera
Website

ewaller wrote:

No.
Virtual Machines are not emulators.  They create an artificial machine that creates simulated I/O, *but* the programs themselves run native code directly on the host processor.  Emulators, on the other hand, simulate the guest CPU.

VirtualBox and VMWare are virtualization.
Things like Linapple (An Apple ][ emulator) actually simulates a 6502 processor.

An ARM processor cannot virtualize X86 / X86_64.

Also, be aware, these forums are not the right place to be looking for ArcLinuxARM help; that is a different distribution by a different organization.

As far as I understand, the latest windows version (windows rt) runs on ARM, so virtualization should work.

#6 2013-06-29 16:21:57

ewaller
Administrator

hobarrera wrote:

As far as I understand, the latest windows version (windows rt) runs on ARM, so virtualization should work.

That makes my head swim tongue

Perhaps -- If you want to run Windows 8 RT, and if Virtualbox is available for Arch ARM and if you can deal with all of the restricted boot issues.

On a related note, I actually saw Windows 8 in the wild yesterday for the first time.  My mom always taught me that if you cannot say something nice, don't say anything at all.  Full stop.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer