You are not logged in.

#2301 2013-08-26 15:59:59

oi_wtf

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

gadelat wrote:

What is best way to uninstall unity without reinstalling whole system (gnome etc)?

Untested, but it should be as easy as this:

remove all unity-related packages, especially those that depend on *-ubuntu packages...

pacman -R hud unity indicator-XXX ...

reinstall all -ubuntu packages that replace arch packages, like gtk, glib2, ...  using arch packages, like this

pacman -S glib2 gtk2 gtk3 ... 

Last edited by oi_wtf (2013-08-26 16:00:33)

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2302 2013-08-26 16:04:46

chenxiaolong

Sorry about the broken Unity package. I compile my own packages and forgot to rebuild Unity against the new Compiz on the build server.

It should be ready in a little bit: http://cxl.epac.to:8091/job/UFA-2.0-Bui … 52/console

#2303 2013-08-30 07:00:23

divansantana

divansantana wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
divansantana wrote:

Ok I believe the only thing hanging the unity panel and sometimes causing a complete desktop freeze is the pidgin integration into the panel.
If I remove pidgin-libnotify-ubuntu and restart pidgin the intermittent problem goes away.

I'll see if I can provide more info. It could be when there is some sort of network issue pidgin hangs the panel.

It seems that there was a new version of pidgin-libnotify. I've updated the package. Hopefully this will fix your freezing issues smile

Ok unfortunately my desktop and unity panel still freezes everynow and then (at least once a day) when using pidgin and unity together even without pidgin-libnotify-ubuntu installed, and with and various other things I've tried.
Not sure how to debug this further to send a bug report?

But for now I can confirm that pidgin creates issues and when using empathy the unity panel is stable so far.
But I really don't like empathy and it's lacking a lot of features so I'll try to get pidgin working somehow.

Ok pidgin still causes issues with latest version, I should report this as a bug at unity or pidgin...
Unity panel stops responding and the menu in unity gets stuck showing the pidgin chat menubar even when other windows are in the foreground. The entire unity panel gets frozen and sometimes the desktop too.
Workaround for the issue - finally, launch pidgin via the indicator-messages menu. This launches pidgin without any menubar and scrollbar integration which looks uglier but doesn't freeze anything. smile

#2304 2013-09-02 22:07:04

divansantana

Heads up to all - libreoffice 4.1.1 update seems to crash quite a bit and break unity-panel with it. Suggest sticking with 4.0.5 for now.

#2305 2013-09-04 15:12:08

divansantana

divansantana wrote:

Heads up to all - libreoffice 4.1.1 update seems to crash quite a bit and break unity-panel with it. Suggest sticking with 4.0.5 for now.

Woops. It was a combination of having libreoffice 4.1.1 and aur/libreoffice-extension-menubar installed.

#2306 2013-09-04 15:56:32

chenxiaolong

divansantana wrote:
divansantana wrote:

Woops. It was a combination of having libreoffice 4.1.1 and aur/libreoffice-extension-menubar installed.

Thanks for letting us know smile As far as I know, lo-menubar's development stopped about a year ago due to Libreoffice supporting the global menubar natively.

#2307 2013-09-04 17:41:36

Thaodan

chenxiaolong wrote:
divansantana wrote:
divansantana wrote:

Thanks for letting us know smile As far as I know, lo-menubar's development stopped about a year ago due to Libreoffice supporting the global menubar natively.

With every backend?

Linux odin 3.13.1-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 5 21:47:28 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#2308 2013-09-06 04:58:40

philux

Is there any way to add the drawers application in Arch.
https://launchpad.net/drawers

I've tried to add it to PKGBuild, but I cant get it to build; that or I am just too much of an Arch noob yet.
It would be awesome if it could get added to the Unity for Arch Extras Repo...

Last edited by philux (2013-09-06 04:59:53)

#2309 2013-09-06 12:52:16

chenxiaolong

Thaodan wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
divansantana wrote:

With every backend?

What do you mean by backend? I just do "pacman -Syu libreoffice libreoffice-gnome" and the global menubar works.

#2310 2013-09-06 12:55:59

Thaodan

chenxiaolong wrote:
Thaodan wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:

With every backend?

What do you mean by backend? I just do "pacman -Syu libreoffice libreoffice-gnome" and the global menubar works.

That I mean with backend, its the backend for VCL. libreoffice-kde is the qt one  libreoffice-gnome contains the gtk and gtk3 one.
I asked cause I want to use the qt backend and as dbus-menu should be DE indepent....
EDIT: Even if I enable the GTK backend I get no menus. (using the KDE dbus menubar plasmoid).

Last edited by Thaodan (2013-09-06 13:01:21)

Linux odin 3.13.1-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 5 21:47:28 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#2311 2013-09-15 04:19:21

chenxiaolong

Thaodan wrote:
chenxiaolong wrote:
Thaodan wrote:

With every backend?

That I mean with backend, its the backend for VCL. libreoffice-kde is the qt one  libreoffice-gnome contains the gtk and gtk3 one.
I asked cause I want to use the qt backend and as dbus-menu should be DE indepent....
EDIT: Even if I enable the GTK backend I get no menus. (using the KDE dbus menubar plasmoid).

I just tried in KDE and I wasn't able to get it to work either sad

#2312 2013-09-18 22:27:16

divansantana

I can't seem to configure a screensaver lock any more. Searching lock finds nothing in dash and it's no where to be found in gnome-control-center. Anyone else have this issue?
gnome-control-center-ubuntu 3.8.3-101
gnome-control-center-unity 1.3daily13.06.14.1-1
gnome-screensaver-ubuntu 3.6.1-8

#2313 2013-09-19 02:29:57

sollidsnake

I'm having some trouble with the global menus. In Qt applications they're shown correctly, but if try to browse them using the arrow keys, eventually it goes to the first indicator, instead of the next menu.
(*press alt+10* file *press right* edit *press right* network indicator instead of next menu)
I'm not sure if I made it clear. I can record a video if necessary.

And in GTK applications I have no globalmenu at all - it's locally integrated with the window.

I already tried to all Unity-for-Arch packages, but didn't seem to solve anything. I also made sure the menu-mode in dconf-editor is set to global.

What am I missing?

Non serviam

#2314 2013-09-22 12:00:45

shiznix

How are you guys handling packages introducing hardcoded dependencies on their upstart init system for Saucy ?
It seems Canonical are now doing with upstart what Redhat are doing with systemd (ie. develop your own init system then hardcode any core applications developed to directly depend on that init system) neutral

BTW, if you haven't hit this yet - it gets introduced by way of url-dispatcher needing upstart and at time of writing, indicator-power needs url-dispatcher.

Up until now it's just been a bunch of packages that install upstart service files and these I've easily ported back into xinitrc.d, but their source now directly calls on library functions provided by upstart.

Last edited by shiznix (2013-09-22 12:04:25)

#2315 2013-09-23 03:36:53

chenxiaolong

shiznix wrote:

How are you guys handling packages introducing hardcoded dependencies on their upstart init system for Saucy ?
It seems Canonical are now doing with upstart what Redhat are doing with systemd (ie. develop your own init system then hardcode any core applications developed to directly depend on that init system) neutral

BTW, if you haven't hit this yet - it gets introduced by way of url-dispatcher needing upstart and at time of writing, indicator-power needs url-dispatcher.

Up until now it's just been a bunch of packages that install upstart service files and these I've easily ported back into xinitrc.d, but their source now directly calls on library functions provided by upstart.

Well that kinda sucks. systemd's services and libraries can at least be used without the systemd init binary, but I don't think that's true for upstart sad I've also readded the xinitrc.d scripts instead of the upstart service files. I've tried using systemd's user services, but it was too inconvenient. Upstart wants to start everything by default and systemd starts nothing by default.

Thanks for the info on url-dispatcher though! Judging from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/URLDispatcher, it's used to open URLs inside another container. That seems like something that would only be used on Ubuntu Touch, so I'll probably just replace the calls to url-dispatcher with what they were before.

By the way, have you experimented with Mir on Gentoo yet? So far, I've been unsuccessful at getting any Mir clients to run other than the bundled demos.

#2316 2013-09-23 04:08:41

sb56637

Thanks very much to chenxiaolong (and any other collaborators) for the incredible feat of making Unity run on Arch! I got it working today, and I'm pretty excited. I used the Dropbox testing repo on a fresh and updated install of Archbang. Overall, it works incredibly well. But I do have a few bugs to report:

1. There is sometimes a long delay (about 15 seconds) after entering my password on the Gnome lock screen. It is not consistent. Other times it is instant. This is the biggest bug for me, because I frequently suspend / resume my laptop.

2. Every time after returning to the desktop from the lock screen the Unity search overlay is open.

3. For some reason, Nautilus and Unity Tweak tool have icon problems. I'm using the Radiance theme with ubuntu-mono-light icons. I used the original themes that chenxiaolong packaged, and I also tried copying them over from my Ubuntu 13.04 installation. Both of them result in the stated apps not having icons. Here's a screenshot:
http://s11.postimg.org/s8tjvzp0x/Screen … _48_04.png
All other icon themes except the ugly "Awoken" theme have the same problem.

4. I know it's not an Arch bug, but is there any way to make this new version of Unity open files with a left click instead of opening a preview? I only want a preview on right click.

5. Initially, Unity was locking up on me every time I opened the search overlay. I suspected that it might have something to do with the "suggested" apps or the web apps integration prompts, since they're tied to Ubuntu. So I installed Unity Tweak Tool, opened it in an openbox session and disabled those features. That seems to have fixed the freezing.

6. How do I disable the screen from locking after 10 minutes of inactivity? I only want it to lock when I resume from suspend. Ubuntu has a "Brightness and Lock" applet in the Gnome Control Center, but it doesn't seem to be here in Arch.

7. I had to install zeitgeist-datahub to make the Unity file search work. But with that installed, it works beautifully.

8. "Show my name" in the panel option in Unity Tweak Tool doesn't work.

I also noted A few REALLY fantastic tweaks that chenxiaolong and/or Arch made:
1. Unlike Ubuntu, the list of Gnome startup apps is not hidden. They all show up, just the way it should be.
2. Likewise, the system tray indicators whitelist in dconf is available, and doesn't require me to install a hacked package like in Ubuntu to regain that functionality.

So again, fantastic job, and I hope there might be a solution for a few of the bugs I found.

Cheers.

Last edited by sb56637 (2013-09-23 04:12:35)

#2317 2013-09-25 15:32:22

shiznix

chenxiaolong wrote:

Well that kinda sucks. systemd's services and libraries can at least be used without the systemd init binary, but I don't think that's true for upstart sad I've also readded the xinitrc.d scripts instead of the upstart service files. I've tried using systemd's user services, but it was too inconvenient. Upstart wants to start everything by default and systemd starts nothing by default.

Thanks for the info on url-dispatcher though! Judging from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/URLDispatcher, it's used to open URLs inside another container. That seems like something that would only be used on Ubuntu Touch, so I'll probably just replace the calls to url-dispatcher with what they were before.

By the way, have you experimented with Mir on Gentoo yet? So far, I've been unsuccessful at getting any Mir clients to run other than the bundled demos.

We're currently working around the upstart problem by creating ebuilds for upstart and upstart-app-launch that only install those package's includes and libs, and any upstart service files get ported to xinitrc.d.
Everything seems ok so far...

Haven't looked into the state of Mir for some months now, and it wasn't really working for me back then either apart from those demos.
Will probably revisit it around the time Saucy development settles down with it's stable release.

Only other perhaps useful item to add is that with Unity now trying to start all it's services via dbus, dbus trigger ordering doesn't work so well and the unity-panel-service can start before the panel has started resulting in an empty panel.
To workaround this we do 'export PANEL_USE_LOCAL_SERVICE=1; exec /usr/lib/unity/unity-panel-service &'  in unity-panel-service's xinitrc.d script so that the panel itself starts unity-panel-service instead of relying on dbus triggers.

-EDIT- We've got Mir working on Gentoo now. How are you attempting to run Mir ?
We're only able to start it via lightdm launching unity-system-compositor so far but it seems to work OK.

Last edited by shiznix (2013-10-04 00:32:32)

#2318 2013-09-26 16:11:36

timtobi1

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I installed Unity on top of GNOME, and now when I start Unity from either GDM or LightDM, all I get is my desktop background. No panel, no HUD, nothing. I do have the HUD installed from the xe-xe repository. wat do?

#2319 2013-09-26 17:19:12

sb56637

timtobi1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I installed Unity on top of GNOME, and now when I start Unity from either GDM or LightDM, all I get is my desktop background. No panel, no HUD, nothing. I do have the HUD installed from the xe-xe repository. wat do?

Hi there, did you try these repos?

[Unity-for-Arch]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486665/Repos/Unity-for-Arch/$arch

[Unity-for-Arch-Extra] 
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/486665/Repos/Unity-for-Arch-Extra/$arch

#2320 2013-09-26 18:56:19

timtobi1

~~

sb56637 wrote:
timtobi1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

[Unity-for-Arch]

[Unity-for-Arch-Extra] 

I just switched from xe-xe to the Dropbox repo; no luck. I did reinstall all Unity packages (from the Dropbox repo), however.

EDIT: Also in the CompizConfig Settings Manager "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" is checked.

DOUBLE EDIT: Moved to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1329951.

Last edited by timtobi1 (2013-09-26 22:36:46)

#2321 2013-09-30 19:00:35

gianluca.pettinello

Hello everybody
I see that since some time the updates are not any more... up to date. Chen are you working on the port to mir?

Ciao
Gianluca

#2322 2013-10-02 14:09:17

divansantana

timtobi1 wrote:

~~

sb56637 wrote:
timtobi1 wrote:

Hi everyone,

[Unity-for-Arch]

[Unity-for-Arch-Extra] 

I just switched from xe-xe to the Dropbox repo; no luck. I did reinstall all Unity packages (from the Dropbox repo), however.

EDIT: Also in the CompizConfig Settings Manager "Ubuntu Unity Plugin" is checked.

DOUBLE EDIT: Moved to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1329951.

Ok just helped someone who had the same problems with a fresh installation.
I'm not 100% sure on the fix, but I did the following which resolved the problem.
Installed the below:
signon-keyring-extension gnome-keyring telepathy zeitgeist ttf-ubuntu-font-family
Think its likely signon-keyring-extension and/or zeitgeist that fixed it.

Also actioned this which fixes the desktop:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … on_desktop

After that apply the correct theme and icons and all looks like a standard bare ubuntu desktop after that.

#2323 2013-10-07 18:44:20

divansantana

@Chen Gnome 3.10 just hit the stable repos... can I assume it's not safe to update?

#2324 2013-10-07 18:57:34

oi_wtf

Yes, you can.

You could use the GNOME3.10 branch of the git repository, though.

Laptop:   Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz, 8 GiB RAM, NViDiA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2 GiB
Desktop: Arch Linux (x86_64) and Win10 (x86_64);  Intel Core i7-4771  @ 3.50GHz, 32 GiB RAM, AMD Radeon RX 480 w/ 8 GiB

#2325 2013-10-07 22:52:39

chenxiaolong

divansantana wrote:

@Chen Gnome 3.10 just hit the stable repos... can I assume it's not safe to update?

Unfortunately, a single GTK 3 patch is holding Unity back from it working with GNOME 3.10. I currently patched the packages to not use the code in those patches, but all the indicators are basically broken sad

Board footer