You are not logged in.

#51 2013-09-05 23:07:10

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: How does one become a moderator, administrator, etc?

Well this thread derailed quickly....

#52 2013-09-06 00:39:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

@cfr

Yes, and have been ever since I tried to book a room at the Hilbert Hotel and and was told there was no vacancy, and was then handed the key to room 1.

But I'm not specific to paradoxes.  I'm an absurdofile for all forms.  I'd change my name if I could only decide on one of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz.  I suppose I am fated to die with neither name.  Or with either, if I chose.

But why would I chose, to die?

EDIT: I had missed the comment on derailing over the page break as I was posting.  I don't wish to contribute to derailing a thread that has rails - but this seemed to have all the answer it could get.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-09-06 00:42:14)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#53 2013-09-06 01:48:36

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

I had missed the comment on derailing over the page break as I was posting.  I don't wish to contribute to derailing a thread that has rails - but this seemed to have all the answer it could get.

But, why?

It was the moderators themselves who bolted the derail device to the tracks smile

Derail_1_Web.jpg

Last edited by ewaller (2013-09-06 01:56:08)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#54 2013-09-06 08:56:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

fsckd wrote:
life_enjoyer wrote:

What kind of fight?

This is what happened to the last moderator to leave us.

As the (former) moderator in question I can attest to that. I'd like to think I gave it a fairly good fight (all 9.3 seconds of it) though!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#55 2013-09-06 09:57:01

satanselbow

This is all very nice and all the bromance is very touching... but did he get the job?

#56 2013-09-06 10:02:26

Awebb

He didn't ask for one in the first place.

#57 2013-09-06 10:07:58

karol
Archivist

satanselbow wrote:

This is all very nice and all the bromance is very touching... but did he get the job?

If you're asking if life_enjoyer is a moderator, check his forum user group - it still says 'Member', so nope, he's not an Admin / mod.

#58 2013-09-06 10:10:05

satanselbow

T'was kinda allured to in the long distant original post ... or maybe just sorting out future career path ... or tacos ...

#59 2013-09-10 07:38:13

rufus
Banned

I would hope maturity and grace are amongst the considerations.

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#60 2013-09-10 10:44:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

They absolutely are, rufus.  Such characteristics really have no place in a moderation team! wink

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#61 2013-09-10 17:14:45

Awebb

Speaking of maturity... Trilby, everytime I see your signature, my eyes are glued to "Interrobang". Can you please cum up with an explanation why?

#62 2013-09-10 17:25:06

karol
Archivist

Awebb wrote:

Speaking of maturity... Trilby, everytime I see your signature, my eyes are glued to "Interrobang". Can you please cum up with an explanation why?

Not sure I get what does it have to do with maturity - it's a punctuation mark https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang

#63 2013-09-10 17:33:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'd hate to see how you react to reading scripts that start with SheBangs.

I suppose I could have named it after a dinkus ... which is another name for an asterism.

Lots of punctuation marks have interesting names.  I'm rather fond also of pilcrows, interpuncts, and hederas.  But I suppose you get the point.

#64 2013-09-12 04:36:44

life_enjoyer

Trilby wrote:

I'd hate to see how you react to reading scripts that start with SheBangs.

I suppose I could have named it after a dinkus ... which is another name for an asterism.

Lots of punctuation marks have interesting names.  I'm rather fond also of pilcrows, interpuncts, and hederas.  But I suppose you get the point.

I always wondered what those were called! pilcrows and interpuncts... huh

I want to ask one last thing as long as we're all here,
Can moderators delete posts? I have only ever seen posts moved or had their contents erased but never actually completely removed...

Last edited by life_enjoyer (2013-09-12 04:50:50)

A R C H
R
C
H

#65 2013-09-12 04:47:27

SilverOne

How to be a mod ? well, i don't know. But if all your threads turn out like this i'd say your chances are low maybe big_smile?

Best Regards,
SilverOne

#66 2013-09-12 04:52:49

life_enjoyer

SilverOne wrote:

How to be a mod ? well, i don't know. But if all your threads turn out like this i'd say your chances are low maybe big_smile?

I really don't have the time to be a moderator anyway. This was more a question out of curiosity and since i didn't see another post on this.

EDIT: To demonstrate whether or not moderators can delete posts, moderators please delete this post (I wont mind).

Last edited by life_enjoyer (2013-09-12 04:57:34)

A R C H
R
C
H

#67 2013-09-12 05:03:51

SilverOne

life_enjoyer wrote:
SilverOne wrote:

I really don't have the time to be a moderator anyway. This was more a question out of curiosity and since i didn't see another post on this.

EDIT: To demonstrate whether or not moderators can delete posts, moderators please delete this post (I wont mind).

I mean you as a "general user" but not you specifically big_smile

pffffffft. you should sticky it instead.

Last edited by SilverOne (2013-09-12 05:04:29)

Best Regards,
SilverOne

#68 2013-09-12 05:33:05

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

We can delete posts, but the process is laden with bureaucracy. First you have to find a sponsor on the mod team to support the deletion, after which you may submit a deletion request to the forum administrators, who then debate its merits in private for 3 days before voting on it. If the vote passes, it gets passed up to the core devs for final approval, in which case it receives 2 signatures if no one vetoes it. That can typically take anywhere from a day to a week.  The mod and the sponsor then receive a one-time code each. The mods must then coordinate code entry on the forum to ensure that they are both entered within a 30 second window, otherwise the codes will be invalidated.

This is why the dustbin keeps piling up. Deleting anything is such a major PITA that it just isn't worth it.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#69 2013-09-12 06:19:54

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

life_enjoyer wrote:

Can moderators delete posts? I have only ever seen posts moved or had their contents erased but never actually completely removed...

Yes, but we avoid it so multiple admins are able to review content and avoid anyone accidentally making the wrong call (we're all human).

EDIT: Didn't see Xyne's post. @Xyne, you must have gotten on the bad side of one of the admins and that's your punishment if that's your process tongue

Last edited by fukawi2 (2013-09-12 06:21:43)

#70 2013-09-12 06:27:44

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

We can delete posts, but the process is laden with bureaucracy. First you have to find a sponsor on the mod team to support the deletion, after which you may submit a deletion request to the forum administrators, who then debate its merits in private for 3 days before voting on it. If the vote passes, it gets passed up to the core devs for final approval, in which case it receives 2 signatures if no one vetoes it. That can typically take anywhere from a day to a week.  The mod and the sponsor then receive a one-time code each. The mods must then coordinate code entry on the forum to ensure that they are both entered within a 30 second window, otherwise the codes will be invalidated.

This is why the dustbin keeps piling up. Deleting anything is such a major PITA that it just isn't worth it.

What, you mean they've simplified the process in the past few months? We used to have to have identical captchas for the mod and sponsor to fill in as well.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#71 2013-09-12 06:41:32

Awebb

Trilby wrote:

But I suppose you get the point.

The English language is based on ambiguity, even its symbols are named like sports activities.

#72 2013-09-12 07:39:48

rufus
Banned

@life_enjoyer I can verify thet they do...and I have the same attitude ....I know on occasion I test the limits
   but so far very rarely ........they'd rather yell at me

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#73 2013-09-12 13:54:04

fsckd
Forum Fellow

ngoonee wrote:

What, you mean they've simplified the process in the past few months? We used to have to have identical captchas for the mod and sponsor to fill in as well.

Yes, it happened shortly after you left. We had to give up some of our powers in exchange. The admins were laughing and calling us "suckers". I don't know why.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#74 2013-09-12 13:58:40

czubek
Banned

Being a player is fun.

Being a referee is a job.

#75 2013-09-12 14:17:08

clfarron4
Website

czubek wrote:

Being a player is fun.

Being a referee is a job.

That right there. Exactly how I've found it over on G+ (not on the Arch Community).

Last edited by clfarron4 (2013-09-12 14:17:39)

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Board footer