You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-25 19:45:47

remixmabix

NFS double share impossible ?

Hello, I introduce myself : I am 24 years old and want to learn many things about linux, projects and developement : because it is really powerfull and this is the way I see computering in the future.

I explain my problem : I have to say that I have read a lot of documentation about nfsv4 and the system works (I don't have any problem of writing permission or anything else)

computer1 : /mymountcomputer1 10.40.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,fsid=0,insecure,no_hide,no_subtree_check,no_acl,all_squash,sync)
                : sudo mount -t nfs4 computer2:/ /mymountcomputer1

computer2 : /mymountcomputer2 10.40.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,fsid=0,insecure,no_hide,no_subtree_check,no_acl,all_squash,sync)
                : sudo mount -t nfs4 computer1:/ /mymountcomputer2

/mymountcomputer1 == /mymountcomputer2 (I should be able to see in both direction)

When I mount each one it works when I mount both nothing works

Many thanks to help me on this situation smile

#2 2013-11-25 20:45:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: NFS double share impossible ?

if they are different computers, shouldn't the IP addresses be different? Or am I mis-reading something here.

Wait !! are you trying to mount two different folders on different computers on the same mount point by saying that /mymountcomputer1 == /mymountcomputer2 ??

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2013-11-25 22:01:11

remixmabix

First question's answer : Their ip addresses are different
Second question's answer : You are part right, I should explain that it is not exactly the same mountpoint if I draw it would be represented as a cross or an X. but to be simple this is what I want.

The thing is that I have tried with sshfs and it worked but It always disconnects or bugs when a 3rd man reboot his computer.

#4 2013-11-25 22:41:13

WonderWoofy

remixmabix wrote:

if I draw it would be represented as a cross or an X. but to be simple this is what I want.

I am thoroughly confused by this.  I think you need to try to give a proper explanation of exactly what you are trying to do, as the information you are giving now either doesn't make any sense or I am not seeing the whole picture.

#5 2013-11-25 22:52:18

remixmabix

Server :

sudo sshfs -o allow_other mugen@10.40.10.124:/prod/driver/project_local  /mnt/test/somedir

Client :

sudo sshfs -o allow_other mugen@10.40.10.125:/mnt/test /prod/driver/project

I want the same on NFS as Inxsible idea

#6 2013-12-05 05:19:21

dgbaley27

Are you trying to replicate data so that it is stored on both "computer1" and "computer2"? If so, you cannot do this with NFS.

#7 2013-12-05 07:58:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm with WonderWoofy here. From the information provided, I have no idea what you're trying to do. Please explain it again, as clearly as you can - it might help if you include some background about why you want to do whatever you're doing.

#8 2013-12-05 08:18:49

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

remixmabix wrote:

computer1 : /mymountcomputer1 10.40.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,fsid=0,insecure,no_hide,no_subtree_check,no_acl,all_squash,sync)
                : sudo mount -t nfs4 computer2:/ /mymountcomputer1

According to what you've posted, you haven't shared / on "computer2" in /etc/exports so I don't understand how you're mounting it.

It appears you're trying to mount the / filesystem of each computer on the other computer. This will create a cyclic loop and I wouldn't expect it to work.

Your last post is using sshfs, not nfs, so now you're confusing us even more....

#9 2013-12-05 13:42:56

remixmabix

Hello, thanks to help for this problem.

I try to explain better and sorry for confusing everybody here.

Well I got a server where there are multiple folders of some user (/prod/eminem, /prod/u2, /prod/jayz).

1) The user mounts the "root" shared folder of the server (he sees /prod/eminem, /prod/u2, /prod/jayz in /share/server so the paths are /share/server/eminem, /share/server/u2, /share/server/jayz).
2) The server mounts a folder of the user which is located in his local hard drive (for example the computer of jayz shares /home/photos/friday_night_with_snoop dogg).

The server mounts each local folder of each user and each client mount the root folder, understood ?

Now :
According to me you should see on the server /home/photos/friday_night_with_snoop dogg in /prod/jayz >>> It works, no problem !

Then :
The result is that on the computer of jayz (client) /share/server/jayz which would be the same as /home/photos/friday_night_with_snoop dogg I can't see anything. (this is my problem)

So I have understood that with NFS it could not be possible so I dit it with sshfs and it worked.

I must do this way because the photos of jay-z are very heavy and I can't buy more storage and I need something faster than the actual solution.

My question : Is there an other solution in order to make it work without using sshfs ? Or.  Have you ever made this schema work with high performance ?

By the way with sshfs : when the client computer reboots or shuts down u2 and eminem can't work because sshfsd process is blocked and i always need to kill the process.

Bonus question : Can I script automatically a .service in order to make a listener of both computers (client and server) in bash ? If yes how you do so ? with sshfs or any other solution.

Many thanks

All the best to all.

#10 2013-12-05 15:58:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

Still don't get the why of it all. If jayz has local content in /home, why can't he just access it there?

#11 2013-12-05 22:07:49

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Maybe pictures would help, because I still don't understand the goal here.

Board footer