I've put polipo in my rc.conf to start when I reboot. However, after a fresh reboot, it is not started properly (the browser cannot access the web). If I restart it manually, it works just fine. How can I have it started properly?
Here is my daemon list in /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=( syslog-ng !network netfs crond hal @wicd @alsa @avahi-daemon @avahi-dnsconfd @cpufreq @openntpd @sshd @xinetd @cups @fuse @privoxy @polipo )
Are you routing with polipo/privoxy?
Also, this might be irrelevant, but try starting polipo before the network. I have it set up this way, yet it might be just coincidental with the fact that my polipo setup working as expected.
Here is how I use polipo:
browser <-> privoxy <-> polipo <-> internet
I did not set up a config file for polipo, as advised in some tutorials, so everything is default.
I use the default privoxy config file, and I only modified one thing: I set up my local polipo as the parent proxy, using
forward / localhost:8123
Here is my /var/log/polipo (I just cleaned it, restarted the computer, tried to visit launchpad.net)
Established listening socket on port 8123. Established listening socket on port 8123. Established listening socket on port 8123. Couldn't send DNS query: Connection refused Falling back on gethostbyname. Getaddrinfo failed: Temporary name server failure Host launchpad.net lookup failed: Getaddrinfo failed: Temporary name server failure (131072).
After restarting the polipo process, the page is displayed and here is the logfile.
Established listening socket on port 8123. Established listening socket on port 8123. Established listening socket on port 8123. Couldn't send DNS query: Connection refused Falling back on gethostbyname. Getaddrinfo failed: Temporary name server failure Host launchpad.net lookup failed: Getaddrinfo failed: Temporary name server failure (131072). Established listening socket on port 8123.
I tried your tip of starting polipo before the network, but it does not work.
What polipo pkg are you using?
You probably should set up a config file just so you know what options are being used, etc.
It should be in /etc/polipo and there probably is a sample config named "polipo.config". I'd copy that to 'config' and use it as a base and go from there.
Your log indicates issues with the DNS. Polipo has an unusual way of handling DNS: http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software … l/DNS.html which might relate to your issues.
I had this problem and solved/worked around it by setting dnsNameServer to the IP of my ISP's dns server.
near the beginning of your polipo daemon bash script in /etc/rc.d/ ... somewhere after "start)".... and be sure to background the daemon in /etc/rc.conf
Should solve your troubles.
to fix the DNS error, there is (with systemd) a much more elegant approach
Just edit /usr/lib/systemd/system/polipo.service
and include the line
just below the line
I'm posting my suggestion in this thread, since this thread is being referenced by the WIKI page on Polipo.
A bugreport was made with the request to have this fixed in the polipo pkg.
Last edited by kvtb (2014-01-11 19:14:13)
Could you please post the bug id/link. Thanks
Last edited by jagguli (2014-03-27 09:43:11)