You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-26 17:32:29

amitbareket

IPTABLES POSTROUTING Load balancing help

Hi there,

I have an interface with 5 IP addresses assigned to it (as virtual adapters) let's call them x1,x2,x3,x4 and x5.

Currently I have SNAT POSTROUTING forwarding rules from local source range to specific public ip address. Below is an example for the current rule

-A POSTROUTING -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source x1.x1.x1.x1

What I would like to achieve is that new established local connections will be postrouted and assigned to one of the IPs above (x1/x2/x3/x4/x5) randomly / round robin. I tired to look for a solution online but I didn't find any information for how to do so. I almost sure its feasible.

Many thanks for your help guys!

Amit

#2 2014-11-30 21:03:56

branch

Re: IPTABLES POSTROUTING Load balancing help

I havn't tried this, but I would let the routing table do the load balancing for outgoing packets and match the source addresses to the outgoing interface so that responses always come from the same interface a request went out. So the iptables rules would look something like:
-A POSTROUTING -o x1 -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source x1.x1.x1.x1
-A POSTROUTING -o x2 -s 10.8.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source x2.x2.x2.x2
etc.

#3 2014-11-30 22:02:17

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I haven't tested, but this should do it:

iptables -t nat -N OUTPUT_LB
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 5 --packet 0 -j SNAT --to x1
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 5 --packet 1 -j SNAT --to x2
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 5 --packet 2 -j SNAT --to x3
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 5 --packet 3 -j SNAT --to x4
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 5 --packet 4 -j SNAT --to x5
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -m state --state NEW -j OUTPUT_LB

Alternatively, but this may lead to bias towards x5:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.2 -j SNAT --to x1
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.2 -j SNAT --to x2
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.2 -j SNAT --to x3
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.2 -j SNAT --to x4
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -j SNAT --to x5

Last edited by fukawi2 (2014-11-30 22:03:56)

#4 2014-12-01 18:47:06

aesiris

fukawi2 wrote:

I haven't tested, but this should do it:

Alternatively, but this may lead to bias towards x5:

I understand it differently: iptable rules are independent and traversed in order, so the unbiased chain should be

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 5 --packet 0 -j SNAT --to x1
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 4 --packet 0 -j SNAT --to x2
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 3 --packet 0 -j SNAT --to x3
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 0 -j SNAT --to x4
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.20000  -j SNAT --to x1
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.25000  -j SNAT --to x2
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.33333  -j SNAT --to x3
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.50000  -j SNAT --to x4

#5 2014-12-01 22:19:26

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

aesiris wrote:

I understand it differently: iptable rules are independent and traversed in order, so the unbiased chain should be

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.20000  -j SNAT --to x1
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.25000  -j SNAT --to x2
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.33333  -j SNAT --to x3
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT_LB -m statistic --mode random --probability 0.50000  -j SNAT --to x4

Yes, my maths aren't the greatest, but that makes sense. I think using nth would still be more even, depends if the OP really wants "random" balancing, or just load-balancing.

Board footer