You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-15 16:48:48

devonrevenge

wifi hardware needs to be switched on at boot, how do I this

RTL8723bs is the name of the wifi hardware and the driver needed to allow use of the built in hardware of my tablet.

I am using an HP stream 7 and have re-installed arch on it and done a large number of things to try and get the hardware to work, I have recently stumbled across this article: https://www.reddit.com/r/LinuxActionSho … ia_tab_8w/

It turns out I have to activate the device in boot by echoing '1' to it, the above article explains how to do this for different drivers, how do I do this for mine.

#2 2016-06-15 17:17:53

ewaller
Administrator

Re: wifi hardware needs to be switched on at boot, how do I this

Try systemd temporary files

If that does not work, there are more complex ways to handle this

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-06-15 19:33:33

devonrevenge

wait I dont know what to type in in place of that, I would have a different system, do I build the drivers first? I guess I do, how do I know what to call the device? hmm

#4 2016-06-15 20:40:20

ewaller
Administrator

I guess I am a bit confused.  You say you have to echo '1' to a file in the sys file system.  Do you know which 'file' that is? Or is that part of the question.  If you know the name of the 'file', what is it?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2016-06-15 20:47:02

loqs

Problem #2:The WiFi (Broadcom 4330) does not work. This was easy: The only reason that this device does not work out of the box is because it is deactivated at boot. That would not be much of a problem if ACPI was working which is not. But we are able to manually enable the WiFi module by

# echo on > /sys/bus/platform/devices/INT33BB\:00/power/control     (*1)

check if it worked by

$ cat /sys/bus/acpi/devices/INT33BB\:00/power_state

Is the problem a lack of /sys/bus/platform/devices/INT33BB:00 directory?
I ask because you have not documented what you tried so far and what the results were.
If it is what is the output of

ls /sys/bus/platform/devices/

To see what options are available

ip link

To see what network adapters are currently available

dmesg

If /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin is missing, copy it from your linux-firmware package to this location and look in the previous windows partition (you got a backup, right?) for

brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt

which needs to be copied to

/usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt

$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin is owned by linux-firmware 20160516.80d463b-1

So that part should be skippable.

Your WiFi device now does work, but since it is disabled by default, you need to create a script executed on startup which enables the device (*1) for systemd's multiuser.target.

This I think is where ewaller though you were up to.
Edit:
posted at the same time as ewaller
Edit2:
Does this mean https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=213463 is now solved?

Last edited by loqs (2016-06-15 20:50:22)

#6 2016-06-16 11:03:47

devonrevenge

The devices dont even show up, lspci or hwld nothing,

I know the hardware is in the tablet, but I have no idea how to access it, this is why I cant explain many details in the first place, I feel the problem is a bit water tight.

its an rtl8723bs wifi driver that the hardware needs, installing the driver and the patches changes nothing, nothing detects the built in hardware, I imagine it needs switching on at boot but how when i cant get any information about it.

Editing systemd corrupted the efi stub somehow, it was that or the device ran out of battery while it was updating, going to re-install arch.

Last edited by devonrevenge (2016-06-16 11:14:16)

#7 2016-06-16 16:24:41

devonrevenge

To get past EFI boot I used the bootia32 file from a 'fedlet.iso' in /EFI/BOOT you can find plenty on how ti

then I had managed to install arch using this guys tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMkST5IjSjY

I downloaded and added patches from a /hadess/rtl8723 repo however I was still not managing to find the hardware using commands like lspci and hwls.

I have found a guide for another kind of baytrail tablet that found a way a to activate the hardware at boot: https://www.reddit.com/r/LinuxActionSho … ia_tab_8w/

but this does not apply to my drivers yet, im still to find anything on activating the hardware on boot.

I came across this article among a few others which suggests that the issue may be resolved only when there is a will to fix it.

#8 2016-06-16 17:17:53

loqs

devonrevenge wrote:

To get past EFI boot I used the bootia32 file from a 'fedlet.iso' in /EFI/BOOT you can find plenty on how ti

then I had managed to install arch using this guys tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMkST5IjSjY

Not using either the Installation Guide or Beginners's Guide is unsupprted and tends to get threads dustbinned

devonrevenge wrote:

I downloaded and added patches from a /hadess/rtl8723 repo however I was still not managing to find the hardware using commands like lspci and hwls.

What is /hadess/rtl8723?  What patches speciffically did you apply?  What did you apply the patches to? How did you apply the patches?
See Post complete logs/output/versions/error messages

devonrevenge wrote:

I have found a guide for another kind of baytrail tablet that found a way a to activate the hardware at boot: https://www.reddit.com/r/LinuxActionSho … ia_tab_8w/

but this does not apply to my drivers yet, im still to find anything on activating the hardware on boot.

I came across this article among a few others which suggests that the issue may be resolved only when there is a will to fix it.

The same url you referenced in your first post.
Related to that:

ewaller wrote:

I guess I am a bit confused.  You say you have to echo '1' to a file in the sys file system.  Do you know which 'file' that is? Or is that part of the question.  If you know the name of the 'file', what is it?

loqs wrote:

Is the problem a lack of /sys/bus/platform/devices/INT33BB:00 directory?
I ask because you have not documented what you tried so far and what the results were.
If it is what is the output of

ls /sys/bus/platform/devices/

To see what options are available

ip link

To see what network adapters are currently available

dmesg

If /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin is missing, copy it from your linux-firmware package to this location and look in the previous windows partition (you got a backup, right?) for

brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt

which needs to be copied to

/usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt

$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin is owned by linux-firmware 20160516.80d463b-1

So that part should be skippable.

Your last two posts seem to ignore these requests for information completely.

#9 2016-08-11 20:08:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ewaller wrote:

2800 degrees K

Actually, it's just "2800 Kelvin" -- no "degrees" needed smile

devonrevenge wrote:

I cant find a part of journal that might  be relevent

Perhaps this guide will help:
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … stemd-logs

#10 2016-08-11 20:58:30

ewaller
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ewaller wrote:

2800 degrees K

Actually, it's just "2800 Kelvin" -- no "degrees" needed smile

Huh, you seem to be correct. Its not how I learned it, however.  Has usage drifted since the late 1970's, or have just been getting it wrong for 45 years?
Edit:  Of course, we measured wavelengths in Angstroms, not nm.  Maybe the usage changed at the same time hmm
Edit2: On the other hand, I have also been known to have to solve problems in Rankine

Last edited by ewaller (2016-08-11 21:03:20)

---

#11 2016-08-11 21:01:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

#12 2016-08-11 21:06:17

ewaller
Administrator

Interesting.  But, in my defense,

However, let me also note that degrees are *still* used with Kelvin in some sources, even textbooks, although it is generally agreed that they should not.

emphasis added.

And now back to the previously hijacked thread big_smile ....

---

#13 2016-08-12 21:19:10

devonrevenge

I don't ignore the requests I have learned that you have to do something with some specially little caches that have something to do with how the hardware gets power somehow, basically atom chips and tablets dont work with anylinux well

Last edited by devonrevenge (2016-08-12 21:21:58)

Board footer