You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-07 14:47:11

xerxes_

systemd-homed in Arch Linux

My basic question is about future of systemd-homed in Arch Linux. When it will be available and working in future releases of systemd, will users be forced to use it, or will they have a choice?

#2 2019-12-08 15:10:11

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: systemd-homed in Arch Linux

Like most things systemd ships with (e.g. timesyncd, networkd, systemd-boot, systemd-firstboot, etc.), it's optional.

See https://media.ccc.de/v/ASG2019-164-rein … ies#t=2591 (notably ~43:00 for a direct answer to your question)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2019-12-09 15:07:26

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

WorMzy wrote:

Like most things systemd ships with (e.g. timesyncd, networkd, systemd-boot, systemd-firstboot, etc.), it's optional.

See https://media.ccc.de/v/ASG2019-164-rein … ies#t=2591 (notably ~43:00 for a direct answer to your question)

Thanks for the link, that dude might be brilliant but damn, he says "umm" way too much!

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2019-12-12 19:51:09

dmerej
Website

I for one am quite eager to try it smile

Responsible Coder, Python Fan, Rust enthusiast

#5 2019-12-15 14:42:24

sekret

graysky wrote:

Thanks for the link, that dude might be brilliant but damn, he says "umm" way too much!

In his defense: He's from Germany and we germans say "umm" (in german "ähm") all the time. In my opinion he's doing very well! Remember, he's doing a talk in a non-native language, which is hard enough.

#6 2019-12-15 15:05:26

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@sekret - Fair enough... if he still does it in his native language, this could be a drinking game!

Last edited by graysky (2019-12-18 12:18:30)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#7 2019-12-18 12:14:53

sekret

Doing so would kill you if you listened to me talking! wink

#8 2019-12-18 17:00:10

eschwartz
Fellow

xerxes_ wrote:

My basic question is about future of systemd-homed in Arch Linux. When it will be available and working in future releases of systemd, will users be forced to use it, or will they have a choice?

I can't imagine why anyone would think Arch Linux would refuse to support any installation that does home directories the way all Unix systems do and have done it for decades. Even systemd upstream doesn't have that much... nerve.

Equally, I don't see any reason to believe Arch Linux would deliberately disable some inert binaries you don't need to use. It's not Arch Linux's job to tell people that homed is pointless, people can figure that out on their own.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#9 2019-12-18 17:10:09

ewaller
Administrator

eeschwartz,

I don't often disagree with you; and I am not a systemd hater.  But consider whether following statement might have been prescient a couple years ago :

"I can't imagine why anyone would think Arch Linux would refuse to support any installation that does process 1 the way all Unix systems do and have done it for decades."

Edit:  Fixed the init process number after reading eschwartz's response O_o

Last edited by ewaller (2019-12-18 18:09:25)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2019-12-18 17:56:52

eschwartz
Fellow

There's a big difference between not supporting alternative init stacks for pid1, and dropping support for directories being "directories" instead of autogenerated partition mount points with goop on top, which even so will still show up as "directories".

Like, I don't understand what could potentially be enforced here. Is logind going to suddenly start including the following pseudocode:

if user_account.is_not_daemon_user() and user_account.home_directory.is_not_homed():
    error("if you're a login user, you are required to store your home directory in systemd-homed, either use homed or reconfigure your account as a system daemon")

Home directories on Unix are ridiculously lenient, due to the fact that they're just... random directories associated with a user account lookup.

Last edited by eschwartz (2019-12-18 17:59:30)

#11 2019-12-18 18:17:09

ewaller
Administrator

I dunno.  There is a lot of PFM technology in systemd.  I still don't fully grasp everything going on with logind, seats, sessions, Xorg session and pulseaudio interaction.  It works for me, so I don't delve into it.
Frankly, I don't dismiss the possibility that your assertion might become true.

Edit:  Funny : "Home directories on Unix are ridiculously lenient"  I read that as lennart  tongue

Last edited by ewaller (2019-12-18 20:28:42)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#12 2020-02-05 00:10:14

antiarch
Banned

Should this not be in Arch/Systemd? Is systemd linux? No?

#13 2020-02-05 01:43:13

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

antiarch wrote:

Take the hint from your closed thread; don't be a troll. Have a 3 day ban to consider your position.

EDIT: actually, have a permanent ban for registering with a disposable email address, and 2/3 posts being trolling.

#14 2020-02-05 03:10:02

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

fukawi2 wrote:
antiarch wrote:

Take the hint from your closed thread; don't be a troll. Have a 3 day ban to consider your position.

EDIT: actually, have a permanent ban for registering with a disposable email address, and 2/3 posts being trolling.

The name was a bit of a giveaway?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#15 2020-02-05 06:01:48

headkase

As a modern initialization system systemd is fine.  And it will continue to improve, many people make the mistake of being critical on initial impressions.  Being relatively new it doesn't have to worry so much about maintaining a "legacy compatibility" and also is written from the base with lessons learned from previous systems.  It is good enough that enough distributions are adopting it.  And what is best about that is that it represents a "convergence" of things.  Enough distributions have adopted it that it is becoming "the" standard.  Cross-distribution standards like this facilitate software interoperability and as such are very desirable so I see systemd, in the wider ecosystem, just being a good thing.  systemd is literally standardizing what used to be fragmented.

#16 2020-02-05 15:02:22

ewaller
Administrator

headkase wrote:

Cross-distribution standards like this facilitate software interoperability and as such are very desirable so I see systemd, in the wider ecosystem, just being a good thing.  systemd is literally standardizing what used to be fragmented.

Except that (IIRC) it is specifically targeted at Linux.  Again, I am not a systemd hater, I like it and use it (otherwise I would be back on Gentoo).  But, it does drive a wedge between the Linux and BSD based distributions. I'd prefer to work with them.

---

#17 2020-02-05 16:54:18

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

It's a nice feature but 21,000 lines of extra code? That seems like a lot.

#18 2020-02-06 00:02:20

headkase

ewaller wrote:
headkase wrote:

Cross-distribution standards like this facilitate software interoperability and as such are very desirable so I see systemd, in the wider ecosystem, just being a good thing.  systemd is literally standardizing what used to be fragmented.

Except that (IIRC) it is specifically targeted at Linux.  Again, I am not a systemd hater, I like it and use it (otherwise I would be back on Gentoo).  But, it does drive a wedge between the Linux and BSD based distributions. I'd prefer to work with them.

That is something I didn't consider, I have no BSD experience at all.  Is there some technical fault keeping systemd out of BSD, or is it rather a political/opinion problem?

#19 2020-02-06 03:44:47

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

headkase wrote:

Is there some technical fault keeping systemd out of BSD, or is it rather a political/opinion problem?

systemd makes heavy use of cgroups, which BSD does not have. IIRC, there are technical and/or political reasons why it never will either.

#20 2020-02-06 15:40:15

eschwartz
Fellow

systemd does not work on alpine or void, both of which are linux distros. Currently prevailing opinion in those communities is that systemd is either evil, or bloat, or simply doesn't fit their goals for simplicity... but in fact, at least voidlinux at one point *wanted* to support systemd, and tried sending in patches to make systemd work on voidlinux. Those patches were rejected, they gave up, and eventually they decided it wasn't even worth the fuss, and "it's all for the best".

The problem? systemd explicitly relies on glibc, you cannot use alternative standard C libraries. Alpine is based on the musl libc, and voidlinux supports both musl libc and glibc so they cannot have core bootup sequence components which only compile on half of their supported platforms.

BTW: The *BSDs don't use glibc either. tongue

The patches in question were rejected for political reasons.

#21 2020-02-06 17:07:47

sabroad

eschwartz wrote:

It was "political" only in the sense that the projects have different goals.

Lennart Poettering wrote:

>  The problem is that musl is aiming at making a lean and efficient posix libc, not a glibc clone.
[...]
We will not take part in this game. Yes, we tend to gravitate more towards POSIX interfaces, if both a GNU and a POSIX version exists and both are equivalent in their functionality. But also: we will make use of GNU extensions and of Linux extensions if they are useful. And since these ultimately are part of the Linux API, that is the right thing to do.

Last edited by sabroad (2020-02-06 17:09:11)

--
saint_abroad

#22 2020-02-06 17:17:31

eschwartz
Fellow

sabroad wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

It was "political" only in the sense that the projects have different goals.

That's the literal definition of political, so I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Last edited by eschwartz (2020-02-07 00:06:18)

#23 2020-02-06 17:41:15

sabroad

eschwartz wrote:

That's the literal definition of political.

Political means relating to the way power is achieved and used.

eschwartz wrote:

Rejecting these patches was not a power play.

--
saint_abroad

#24 2020-02-06 17:51:57

eschwartz
Fellow

sabroad wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

That's the literal definition of political.

Political means relating to the way power is achieved and used.

That's correct, the power to make decisions about goals lies with the project maintainers.

Who exercised that power.

"power".

Power was exercised, for political reasons like "this is not our goal" rather than technical reasons like "we cannot get it to work" or "it would break existing supported systems".

Returning to the original statement which you seem to be bizarrely objecting to:

eschwartz wrote:
headkase wrote:

That is something I didn't consider, I have no BSD experience at all.  Is there some technical fault keeping systemd out of BSD, or is it rather a political/opinion problem?

I reiterate, this was a political reason.

sabroad wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

Rejecting these patches was not a power play.

You have artificially introduced the phrase "power play" into this conversation for reasons I cannot fathom.

If you are trying to play lawyer word games, please stop.

Last edited by eschwartz (2020-02-06 17:52:38)

#25 2020-02-06 23:58:41

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

eschwartz wrote:

That's the literal definition of political. Here, have an internet cookie as a reward:  https://i.imgur.com/9C2fv49.jpg

Please consider your responses to other users before you hit "Submit". This is far from the first time your posts have come across as confrontational, intentionally or not. I don't expect you to agree with everyone, but I do expect discussions to be civil. You contribute a lot of time and effort to Arch, and hold a position of respect in our community, including from myself, but the perception of these kinds of posts is discouraging to others, and not in the spirit of the community we're trying to foster in the forums. Please consider good faith on behalf of those you're interacting with before you start tearing apart the minutiae of their posts.

Board footer