You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-02 16:03:22

Imarok

Broken netctl configuration: Ethernet not working anymore

Hello,
in the attempt to connect to an wifi network it seems I broke my netctl configuration.
Ethernet is not working anymore. (When trying it with windows, it works. So it can't be a hardware issue)
Running ´systemctl --type=service´ returns:

UNIT                                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                                                                  
  dbus.service                                    loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus                                                     
  getty@tty1.service                              loaded active running Getty on tty1                                                                
  kmod-static-nodes.service                       loaded active exited  Create list of static device nodes for the current kernel                    
  lvm2-lvmetad.service                            loaded active running LVM2 metadata daemon                                                         
  lvm2-monitor.service                            loaded active exited  Monitoring of LVM2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling
  lvm2-pvscan@8:9.service                         loaded active exited  LVM2 PV scan on device 8:9                                                   
  netctl-auto@enp6s0.service                      loaded active running Automatic wireless network connection using netctl profiles                  
  netctl-auto@wlp2s0.service                      loaded active running Automatic wireless network connection using netctl profiles                  
  netctl.service                                  loaded active exited  (Re)store the netctl profile state                                           
● netctl@enp6s0.service                           loaded failed failed  A basic dhcp ethernet connection                                             
● netctl@wlp2s0\x2dfoo\x2dbar.service       loaded failed failed  Automatically generated profile by wifi-menu                                 
  nftables.service                                loaded active exited  Netfilter Tables                                                             
  polkit.service                                  loaded active running Authorization Manager                                                        
  rtkit-daemon.service                            loaded active running RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service                                        
● shadow.service                                  loaded failed failed  Verify integrity of password and group files                                 
  systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service loaded active exited  Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0               
  systemd-backlight@backlight:radeon_bl0.service  loaded active exited  Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:radeon_bl0                
  systemd-journal-flush.service                   loaded active exited  Flush Journal to Persistent Storage                                          
  systemd-journald.service                        loaded active running Journal Service                                                              
  systemd-logind.service                          loaded active running Login Service                                                                
  systemd-random-seed.service                     loaded active exited  Load/Save Random Seed                                                        
  systemd-remount-fs.service                      loaded active exited  Remount Root and Kernel File Systems                                         
  systemd-sysctl.service                          loaded active exited  Apply Kernel Variables                                                       
  systemd-timesyncd.service                       loaded active running Network Time Synchronization                                                 
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service              loaded active exited  Create Static Device Nodes in /dev                                           
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                  loaded active exited  Create Volatile Files and Directories                                        
  systemd-udev-trigger.service                    loaded active exited  udev Coldplug all Devices                                                    
  systemd-udevd.service                           loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager                                                   
  systemd-update-utmp.service                     loaded active exited  Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown                                       
  systemd-user-sessions.service                   loaded active exited  Permit User Sessions                                                         
  user-runtime-dir@1000.service                   loaded active exited  User Runtime Directory /run/user/1000                                        
  user@1000.service                               loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000  

I appreciate any help in fixing the issue.

#2 2020-01-06 14:34:01

teckk

Re: Broken netctl configuration: Ethernet not working anymore

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netctl

Show how you started/enabled netctl profile. Show your /etc/netctl/<profile>

Are you using wpa_supplicant, WPA-PSK? Go through the wiki page step by step.

#3 2020-01-06 15:36:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

And can we also see

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

Thanks!

#4 2020-01-06 17:25:03

Imarok

teckk wrote:

Show how you started/enabled netctl profile. Show your /etc/netctl/<profile>

I don't know what ways to enable the profile of that specific wifi (foo-bar) I and other people tried out. I think some of it where:

• "netctl enable wlp2s0-foo-bar"

• "netctl start wlp2s0-foo-bar"

• "netctl-auto enable wlp2s0-foo-bar"

• "netctl switch-to wlp2s0-foo-bar"

• "netctl-auto switch-to wlp2s0-foo-bar"

I don't have the profile wlp2s0-foo-bar anymore, as I deleted it in trying to fix the issue. The profile of my Ethernet connection enp6s0 looks like this:

Description='A basic dhcp ethernet connection'
Interface=enp6s0
Connection=ethernet
IP=dhcp
#DHCPClient=dhcpcd
#DHCPReleaseOnStop=no
## for DHCPv6
#IP6=dhcp
#DHCP6Client=dhclient
## for IPv6 autoconfiguration
#IP6=stateless
teckk wrote:

Are you using wpa_supplicant, WPA-PSK? Go through the wiki page step by step.

No idea. How do I find it out? For connecting with wifis I use wifi-menu. The wifi of the PC is working btw. It's just Ethernet that's not working. (And the failing attempts trying to connect to the wifi "foo-bar" but I don't need this anymore.)

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

And can we also see

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

Thanks!

Not for that. I have to thank you for helping me. wink

UNIT FILE                 STATE  
autovt@.service           enabled
getty@.service            enabled
netctl.service            enabled
netctl@enp6s0.service     enabled
nftables.service          enabled
systemd-timesyncd.service enabled
remote-fs.target          enabled

7 unit files listed.

#5 2020-01-06 17:37:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I don't use netctl so I don't know if netctl.service is supposed to be enabled as well as the profile instance, somebody else will have to look at that.

What does the journal say about the problem?

journalctl -u netctl -u netctl@enp6s0

And just because you don't need the wireless connection doesn't mean you should ignore it, disable it if you don't want it.

#6 2020-01-06 18:09:05

Imarok

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I don't use netctl so I don't know if netctl.service is supposed to be enabled as well as the profile instance, somebody else will have to look at that.

netctl@wlp2s0\x2dfoo\x2dbar.service is definitely not intended to run. I connected to other wifis with this PC and they don't show up as systemd service. But I have no idea how to get rid of that.
It also is strange that there are services for netctl and services for netctl-auto for the same interfaces...

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

What does the journal say about the problem?

journalctl -u netctl -u netctl@enp6s0
systemd[1]: Starting A basic dhcp ethernet connection...
network[410]: Starting network profile 'enp6s0'...
systemd[1]: Started A basic dhcp ethernet connection. 
systemd[1]: Starting (Re)store the netctl profile state...
systemd[1]: Started (Re)store the netctl profile state.
dhcpcd[538]: enp6s0: waiting for carrier
network[538]: timed out
dhcpcd[538]: timed out
dhcpcd[538]: dhcpcd exited
network[410]: DHCP IPv4 lease attempt failed on interface 'enp6s0'
network[410]: Failed to bring the network up for profile 'enp6s0' 
systemd[1]: netctl@enp6s0.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: netctl@enp6s0.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

And just because you don't need the wireless connection doesn't mean you should ignore it, disable it if you don't want it.

Wifi in general works. (As well as connecting to a wifi of course.) What didn't work is connecting to the wifi "foo-bar" but that isn't important anymore.

#7 2020-01-06 18:40:05

Imarok

I got rid of netctl@wlp2s0\x2dfoo\x2dbar.service by

netctl disable wlp2s0-foo-bar

But Ethernet is still not working…

#8 2020-01-06 18:48:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Disable all network managers and connect manually: that will generate more meaningful error messages than "still not working": https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2020-01-06 18:52:07

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Note that systemctl doesn't always display all of the enabled services so you might have to try

ls -lR /etc/systemd/system

Deleting the symlink will disable the service. The command also shows masked services (those linked to /dev/null), which may be relevant here.

#10 2020-01-08 00:31:23

Imarok

jasonwryan wrote:

Disable all network managers and connect manually: that will generate more meaningful error messages than "still not working": https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

If I would know how to connect manually. The wiki seems to always include a network manager.
And regarding https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855: I posted all the logs I was aware of…

#11 2020-01-08 00:43:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Imarok wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

If I would know how to connect manually. The wiki seems to always include a network manager.

No. The Networking page has a step-by-step guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … figuration You start at the top, and work your way methodically down.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer