You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-20 05:10:51

ipgd
Member
From: Denpasar - Bali
Registered: 2018-01-13
Posts: 32

[SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

Hi There,

After successfully install nvidia driver,
I cannot make it work.
I tried to run

nvidia-settings

and it said

"You do not appear to be using NVidia X Driver. Please edit your X configuration file ... "

But when I add xorg.conf with

sudo nvidia-xconfig 

I cannot enter my account on login.
I'm using GNOME + GDM CMIIW.

What's wrong ?

Last edited by ipgd (2020-01-29 15:56:24)

Offline

#2 2020-01-20 05:17:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

You don't want to use nvidia-xconfig to generate a config, it will be garbage.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2020-01-20 08:37:02

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

Going from your other thread you have an Optimus system and will want to evaluate your options in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

If your intention is indeed to make the nvidia card the primary output you should follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … phics_only check the file you have to create and pay attention to the relevant display manager section.

Offline

#4 2020-01-21 10:47:16

ipgd
Member
From: Denpasar - Bali
Registered: 2018-01-13
Posts: 32

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

I read it before.
Did some changes.
And It didn't worked.

So I think asking forum will ease the way ;p.
I will try again Sir,
seems last changes failed because nvidia driver is wrong.

My intention is to use PRIME render offload.

Thank you Sir.
I'll mark SOLVED if it works.

V1del wrote:

Going from your other thread you have an Optimus system and will want to evaluate your options in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

If your intention is indeed to make the nvidia card the primary output you should follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … phics_only check the file you have to create and pay attention to the relevant display manager section.

Last edited by ipgd (2020-01-21 10:59:23)

Offline

#5 2020-01-21 10:48:47

ipgd
Member
From: Denpasar - Bali
Registered: 2018-01-13
Posts: 32

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

For Sure ?

Do you have suggestion ?
Especially to track the error.
(Like dmesg)

jasonwryan wrote:

You don't want to use nvidia-xconfig to generate a config, it will be garbage.

Offline

#6 2020-01-21 11:07:26

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

You can't use PRIME Render offload (as in dynamically during runtime only render single specific applications on nvidia), it's only been introduced in 435 or so. Use the section i linked to verify basic functionality, if that works you can remove those changes and opt for optimus-manager or nvidia-xrun or so.

As for nvidia-xconfig, it does have a -prime option that might do something useful. But it generally generates so much unnecessary additional cruft that it's much simpler to simply create that config file yourself as linked in the Optimus article

Last edited by V1del (2020-01-21 11:09:42)

Offline

#7 2020-01-21 11:14:19

ipgd
Member
From: Denpasar - Bali
Registered: 2018-01-13
Posts: 32

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

If I run

$ prime-run glxinfo

will produce

name of display: :0
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  39
  Current serial number in output stream:  40

Offline

#8 2020-01-21 11:19:23

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

As expected, read my post.

Offline

#9 2020-01-21 11:19:32

ipgd
Member
From: Denpasar - Bali
Registered: 2018-01-13
Posts: 32

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

Ok. I got it.
Will try.

Thanks.

V1del wrote:

You can't use PRIME Render offload (as in dynamically during runtime only render single specific applications on nvidia), it's only been introduced in 435 or so. Use the section i linked to verify basic functionality, if that works you can remove those changes and opt for optimus-manager or nvidia-xrun or so.

As for nvidia-xconfig, it does have a -prime option that might do something useful. But it generally generates so much unnecessary additional cruft that it's much simpler to simply create that config file yourself as linked in the Optimus article

Offline

#10 2020-01-29 15:55:57

ipgd
Member
From: Denpasar - Bali
Registered: 2018-01-13
Posts: 32

Re: [SOLVED] Setting NVidia X Driver

It works.
But system seems going slow.

I'm using optimus-manager

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB