You are not logged in.

#676 2019-12-05 05:33:36

//////

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

because distrochooser said so tongue

i like Arch because its non-bloated distro.

#677 2020-02-06 18:50:38

DerpishCat

Gotta go fast, as they say. Latest and greatest, no fuss yo!

Also because it seems to be the most easy to use distro currently available, with other distros I've just been getting freezes and god knows what out of nowhere..

#678 2020-02-20 02:38:01

miss_looptux

I prefer the bleeding edge and manually installing. This makes it so that i can install whatever i want from scratch.

#679 2020-03-04 10:45:34

fubarhouse

It's my first distro - I've been meaning to come to Linux for some years.

I chose Arch because...

* I wanted something not easy
* I wanted to learn
* I wanted a challenge
* I wanted my efforts in learning to have a return on investment.

Honestly, I didn't expect Arch to be as incredible as it is...

* It's far more stable than I thought it would be
* "The Arch Way" fits into my personality well
* Pacman is actually pretty awesome
* Community is really rich, diverse and thriving.
* Virtually anything works on it with little-to-no effort
* Everything I really needed works perfectly... well except for maybe SLI.

I've broken and fixed so much already, and I could not be happier with the decision.

#680 2020-03-06 21:58:34

Steo

I basically got fed up with Windows and wanted to switch to Linux. I was using Debian for a while, and I decided to move onto Arch for a couple of reasons.

The main reason was for updates, since it's a rolling release and everything is always kept up to date. I'll be getting a Navi GPU (5700XT) soon, and I can easily just use the latest mesa-git for the GPU, along with using a modern kernel. I can still game on Arch, and I often play GTA V on Steam; the performance of the game actually matches Windows for me.

Another reason was to learn, I wanted to see if I could manage to install Arch and actually get it to work, since I'm interested in learning about the Linux OS. I was really happy with Arch once I managed to get it working. At first, I did manage to break some things and had to chroot to fix them, but it was relatively easy and I haven't managed to make any silly mistakes like that in a long time.

The OS is much easier to use and maintain than I would have expected, pacman and AURs make things relatively simple for the most part. My system has always been perfectly stable for me on Arch. Pacman is amazing, and even if something isn't available on pacman, there's almost always an AUR for it, and there's even AUR wrappers such as yay.

The wiki is also pretty amazing, the documentation on there is outstanding, and it even makes the installation itself much easier than one might have expected. I'd like to thank the community for all the work that's clearly gone into the wiki, everything is so in depth, and it covers the majority of possible issues.

#681 2020-03-07 11:35:20

ondoho
Website

miss_looptux wrote:

I prefer the bleeding edge

I like to tell people that IMO Arch Linux is not bleeding edge (painful), but cutting edge (sharp):

• bleeding edge: packages are basically just compiled from unchanged upstream code and thrown into the repos; people using that are (alpha, beta) testers. Preferably knowingly so (maybe [testing] is exactly that, or Debian Sid).

• cutting edge: there is some process of testing & ensuring the software runs smoothly before packaging it for the main repos. Thanks to AL’s simple but genius No Partial Upgrades policy this process is short but (usually) sufficient.

In other words: for me Archlinux has always been sufficiently stable while staying very close to the pulse of upstream software development. Not painful.

#682 2020-03-07 15:02:11

Steo

Even with Debian Bullseye (testing) and Sid (unstable), the latest version of Mesa on those repos is 19.3.3. On Arch, you can get just get version 19.3.4 from multilib, but I use mesa-git from an AUR to get the latest development version. I like how it's easy to do something like this on Arch without running into dependency issues. I guess Ubuntu has PPAs, but Ubuntu isn't really my cup of tea.

That being said, I still like Debian since it's still something you can learn a lot on, and I'd much rather plain Debian over Ubuntu. Arch is kept much more up to date, which is one of my main reasons for using it. I feel like it's required when it comes to modern hardware, like Navi GPUs for example, which still don't work on Debian Buster, and Mesa 19.3.x would be needed from the testing or unstable repos.

#683 2020-03-08 06:51:31

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler

Arch would have mesa 20, except that it's marked as a development release, so we only have it in testing. tongue

That being said, 20.0.1 is out now, so maybe it will be time to push it to stable?

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#684 2020-03-15 11:25:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Steo wrote:

Even with Debian Bullseye (testing) and Sid (unstable), the latest version of Mesa on those repos is 19.3.3.

Experimental has v20.0.1: https://packages.debian.org/experimenta … 1-mesa-dri

#685 2020-03-15 20:44:13

plutoG

Because peopel told me it was so hard to use.
And then I find out that if one reads the documentation that it isn't any harder than anything else.
To be fair it is a little tough to follow some times for some people but I just read everything at least twice and if i don't understand it I give myself a break and come back and read again before I try something.

#686 2020-03-18 12:54:09

sevendogs

Light, fast, best documentation ever, and Pacman is the single best package manager I have used in my 20+ years of open source OS's. I don't get a lot of cruft when installing and I can use Pacman to surgically remove things without killing everything.

People say Arch is hard to install and use, I disagree, but then again I know my way around the cli and have a lot of experience. It takes me less than 30 minutes to install Arch, give or take, following the wiki.

"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

#687 2020-03-23 12:34:57

moogin

I chose Arch because I wanted to learn more about how Linux works and honestly I haven't been disappointed yet. I've found that I also like how lightweight it is and enjoy starting with a blank slate to play around with however I want.

Surprisingly, despite what I've heard, Arch has also been the most stable experience I've had with any distro on linux.

Edit: I also absolutely f*ckin love the wiki. I very rarely have had to ask about much in the forums thanks to it.

Edit 2: I almost forgot to mention that pacman is my favorite of all package managers I've used and AUR is something I've become pretty accustomed to now.

Last edited by moogin (2020-03-23 12:39:32)

Board footer