You are not logged in.

#676 2019-12-05 05:33:36

//////
Member
Registered: 2019-11-30
Posts: 1

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

because distrochooser said so tongue

i like Arch because its non-bloated distro.

Offline

#677 2020-02-06 18:50:38

DerpishCat
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2014-05-29
Posts: 11

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Gotta go fast, as they say. Latest and greatest, no fuss yo!

Also because it seems to be the most easy to use distro currently available, with other distros I've just been getting freezes and god knows what out of nowhere..

Offline

#678 2020-02-20 02:38:01

miss_looptux
Member
From: US, MO
Registered: 2020-02-20
Posts: 4

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

I prefer the bleeding edge and manually installing. This makes it so that i can install whatever i want from scratch.

Offline

#679 2020-03-04 10:45:34

fubarhouse
Member
Registered: 2020-02-26
Posts: 9

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

It's my first distro - I've been meaning to come to Linux for some years.

I chose Arch because...

* I wanted something not easy
* I wanted to learn
* I wanted a challenge
* I wanted my efforts in learning to have a return on investment.

Honestly, I didn't expect Arch to be as incredible as it is...

* It's far more stable than I thought it would be
* "The Arch Way" fits into my personality well
* Pacman is actually pretty awesome
* Community is really rich, diverse and thriving.
* Virtually anything works on it with little-to-no effort
* Everything I really needed works perfectly... well except for maybe SLI.

I've broken and fixed so much already, and I could not be happier with the decision.

Offline

#680 2020-03-06 21:58:34

Steo
Member
Registered: 2020-03-01
Posts: 21

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

I basically got fed up with Windows and wanted to switch to Linux. I was using Debian for a while, and I decided to move onto Arch for a couple of reasons.

The main reason was for updates, since it's a rolling release and everything is always kept up to date. I'll be getting a Navi GPU (5700XT) soon, and I can easily just use the latest mesa-git for the GPU, along with using a modern kernel. I can still game on Arch, and I often play GTA V on Steam; the performance of the game actually matches Windows for me.

Another reason was to learn, I wanted to see if I could manage to install Arch and actually get it to work, since I'm interested in learning about the Linux OS. I was really happy with Arch once I managed to get it working. At first, I did manage to break some things and had to chroot to fix them, but it was relatively easy and I haven't managed to make any silly mistakes like that in a long time.

The OS is much easier to use and maintain than I would have expected, pacman and AURs make things relatively simple for the most part. My system has always been perfectly stable for me on Arch. Pacman is amazing, and even if something isn't available on pacman, there's almost always an AUR for it, and there's even AUR wrappers such as yay.

The wiki is also pretty amazing, the documentation on there is outstanding, and it even makes the installation itself much easier than one might have expected. I'd like to thank the community for all the work that's clearly gone into the wiki, everything is so in depth, and it covers the majority of possible issues.

Offline

#681 2020-03-07 11:35:20

ondoho
Member
Registered: 2013-04-30
Posts: 638
Website

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

miss_looptux wrote:

I prefer the bleeding edge

I like to tell people that IMO Arch Linux is not bleeding edge (painful), but cutting edge (sharp):

  • bleeding edge: packages are basically just compiled from unchanged upstream code and thrown into the repos; people using that are (alpha, beta) testers. Preferably knowingly so (maybe [testing] is exactly that, or Debian Sid).

  • cutting edge: there is some process of testing & ensuring the software runs smoothly before packaging it for the main repos. Thanks to AL’s simple but genius No Partial Upgrades policy this process is short but (usually) sufficient.

In other words: for me Archlinux has always been sufficiently stable while staying very close to the pulse of upstream software development. Not painful.


However studied and stilted your rant, it can never hide the base and primitve emotion that inspired it.

Offline

#682 2020-03-07 15:02:11

Steo
Member
Registered: 2020-03-01
Posts: 21

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Even with Debian Bullseye (testing) and Sid (unstable), the latest version of Mesa on those repos is 19.3.3. On Arch, you can get just get version 19.3.4 from multilib, but I use mesa-git from an AUR to get the latest development version. I like how it's easy to do something like this on Arch without running into dependency issues. I guess Ubuntu has PPAs, but Ubuntu isn't really my cup of tea.

That being said, I still like Debian since it's still something you can learn a lot on, and I'd much rather plain Debian over Ubuntu. Arch is kept much more up to date, which is one of my main reasons for using it. I feel like it's required when it comes to modern hardware, like Navi GPUs for example, which still don't work on Debian Buster, and Mesa 19.3.x would be needed from the testing or unstable repos.

Offline

#683 2020-03-08 06:51:31

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 3,536

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Arch would have mesa 20, except that it's marked as a development release, so we only have it in testing. tongue

That being said, 20.0.1 is out now, so maybe it will be time to push it to stable?


Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Online

#684 2020-03-15 11:25:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 5,480
Website

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Steo wrote:

Even with Debian Bullseye (testing) and Sid (unstable), the latest version of Mesa on those repos is 19.3.3.

Experimental has v20.0.1: https://packages.debian.org/experimenta … 1-mesa-dri

Offline

#685 2020-03-15 20:44:13

plutoG
Banned
Registered: 2020-02-22
Posts: 26

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Mod note: this user vandalised their post and has been banned.

Last edited by WorMzy (2020-04-23 22:17:28)

Offline

#686 2020-03-18 12:54:09

sevendogs
Member
From: Texas
Registered: 2016-01-24
Posts: 198

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Light, fast, best documentation ever, and Pacman is the single best package manager I have used in my 20+ years of open source OS's. I don't get a lot of cruft when installing and I can use Pacman to surgically remove things without killing everything.

People say Arch is hard to install and use, I disagree, but then again I know my way around the cli and have a lot of experience. It takes me less than 30 minutes to install Arch, give or take, following the wiki.


"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

Offline

#687 2020-03-23 12:34:57

moogin
Member
Registered: 2019-12-14
Posts: 9

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

I chose Arch because I wanted to learn more about how Linux works and honestly I haven't been disappointed yet. I've found that I also like how lightweight it is and enjoy starting with a blank slate to play around with however I want.

Surprisingly, despite what I've heard, Arch has also been the most stable experience I've had with any distro on linux.

Edit: I also absolutely f*ckin love the wiki. I very rarely have had to ask about much in the forums thanks to it.

Edit 2: I almost forgot to mention that pacman is my favorite of all package managers I've used and AUR is something I've become pretty accustomed to now.

Last edited by moogin (2020-03-23 12:39:32)

Offline

#688 2020-04-07 04:40:00

piperdan
Member
From: Arizona
Registered: 2020-04-03
Posts: 17

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Originally for the challenge, but mostly for the reputation (i.e. high reviews). It's living up to its reputation: fast, fun, and surprising reliable. Best wiki by far. So far have been able to find all the answers I needed without ever having to post a question on the forum. But I guess my needs are fairly simple.

Offline

#689 2020-04-08 17:11:33

m6x
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2020-04-01
Posts: 3

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

- Simple (in the Unix sense... technically and conceptually simple to understand, very transparent)
- Fast
- Adaptable
- Rolling release model is very good for desktop use (very current and updates don't affect a huge number of packages at the same time)
- Good Documentation
- pacman is a really good package manager
- The AUR and the package building process in general is also very good

It's also a good learning distro if you're at that stage.


int pi = 3;

Offline

#690 2020-04-22 18:37:58

f33dm3bits
Member
Registered: 2020-04-22
Posts: 32

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Someone told me about ArchLinux, I then read some of the reviews on distrowatch.  Wanted to see what all
the fuss was about for myself so I thought I would just try it to see what Arch is like. Everything seems to run
smoother and faster, even the games I play. It's been 7 months and haven't looked back, so I guess Arch chose
me tongue

Last edited by f33dm3bits (2020-04-22 18:38:43)

Offline

#691 2020-04-26 14:37:17

adamlau
Member
Registered: 2009-01-30
Posts: 418

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Why? Because the build system makes it very easy to build out unwanted deps and to create as lightweight an environment as possible. This can also be done on in other distros, but certainly not as easily. PKDBUILDs rule!


Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

Offline

#692 2020-04-26 15:18:35

eschwartz
Trusted User/Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 3,536

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

adamlau wrote:

Why? Because the build system makes it very easy to build out unwanted deps and to create as lightweight an environment as possible. This can also be done on in other distros, but certainly not as easily. PKDBUILDs rule!

I'd argue Gentoo is even easier, because someone else has already done it for you and all you need is to configure your USE flags according to their documented intended results.

USE flags are surely easier than even a simple PKGBUILD modification, as the former is data, while the latter is code.


Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Online

#693 2020-04-27 22:05:01

HaxNet
Member
Registered: 2020-04-13
Posts: 6

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

I am pretty new to linux even though I have been on and off with ubuntu. I always like Linux.
I chose Arch because I like the logo LOL

but all honesty, i love the simplicity and i converted my macbook and my PC to be Arch with i3 and i just love CLI

Last edited by HaxNet (2020-04-27 22:07:17)

Offline

#694 2020-05-04 00:51:45

Jared.Syu
Member
From: Trinidad and Tobago
Registered: 2020-04-08
Posts: 4

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

I would say I am relatively new as I have only used Linux, on bare metal mind you, since late December of last year. The reason why I use Arch Linux is due to a few reasons. The major reasons I could list are due to its K.I.S.S philosophy in doing this, its relative minimalism, AUR, ABS and the fact that it updates to the most up to date versions of packages.


Generic response; Operation Stated: Invalid.

Offline

#695 2020-06-04 09:19:22

VoDo
Member
From: Europe
Registered: 2020-06-04
Posts: 43

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Because people says it is hard to install and maintain, challenge accepted, now I am here with my minimal Archi3 install and enjoying the modularity of Arch.


Archi3

Offline

#696 2020-06-21 17:46:45

GaKu999
Member
Registered: 2020-06-21
Posts: 124

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Alphabetical order, really, it was the first one I saw when first searched for Linux distributions and jumped right into it like a madman! tongue
I enjoyed breaking stuff for "research", and really love having it on bare metal as my daily driver.

One thing I miss is the random blue screen of death and black magic...nah I'm kidding tongue

Offline

#697 2020-07-23 13:26:26

lucasrizzini
Member
From: Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
Registered: 2020-04-22
Posts: 9
Website

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

I'll list below my reasons, in descending order of relevance:

-Simplicity. I Install only what I'll use. I know everything what is installed on my system. Freaking everything.

-AUR.

-ArchWiki.

-Pacman (Its package manager). Ok, I didn't know about this one really well before using it, but now that I do.. Man, oh man. B-bye dependencies and the PPA's nightmare.

-Community.

-Rolling distro.

-Vanilla packages. Arch, most of the time, has vanilla packages (not as heavily modified as the Ubuntu ones) which spares you a lot of time you'd otherwise spend inventing Ubuntu specific workarounds.

-Freaking makepkg and PKGBUILD files.

Last edited by lucasrizzini (2020-07-23 13:26:53)

Offline

#698 2020-07-23 20:47:47

ondoho
Member
Registered: 2013-04-30
Posts: 638
Website

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

Welcome!

lucasrizzini wrote:

in descending order of relevance

AUR before pacman? hmm


However studied and stilted your rant, it can never hide the base and primitve emotion that inspired it.

Offline

#699 2020-07-24 08:40:01

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op/TU
From: Bagelstan
Registered: 2014-05-04
Posts: 2,092
Website

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

ondoho wrote:

AUR before pacman? hmm

Two sides of the same coin... you wouldn't have 50000 packages by random people without a simple packaging format.

Last edited by Alad (2020-07-24 08:40:57)


Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby
Honest Alad's Package Emporium—Now with added bugs! (Grand reopening: December 1st 2018)

Offline

#700 2020-07-26 15:39:09

rinakra
Member
Registered: 2020-07-26
Posts: 2

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

I am a Linux beginner and despite what everyone was saying, I find other distros very very confusing.

Complicated desktop environments are very confusing and often don't behave properly. On the other hand, i3wm with Arch is very simple and easy for me to understand and use.

I also use a Wacom tablet a lot of the time. To make a long story short, I really need the most up-to-date version of certain packages. With Arch, I don't have to compile them myself all the time.

I was using Hyperbola because it was *even more simple* and fully free, but while openrc is easier to get a hang of than systemd, there is less support for it so when something goes wrong, you are not as likely to be able to find the answer online. So I am using Arch as a middle ground between the ideal OS (for me that means completely minimal, and 100% libre) and something with a large community and a lot of support for automated installation of programs I use on a daily basis.

Although there is a certain "elitest vibe" and the forums aren't the friendliest place in the world, I honestly think it is mostly for show. Arch can be much easier to use if you are willing to do some reading. Using an Ubuntu derivative with a setup you didn't create is more difficult in the sense that you probably don't entirely understand it since someone else put it together.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB