You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-28 04:15:15

eric.meehan

MongoDB Question

Hello fellow people,

I am about to install MongoDB on my Arch server and was hoping someone could tell me what the difference is between the two builds available.  The wiki describes https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mongodb-bin/ :

"mongodbAUR - builds from source, requiring 180GB+ free disk space, and may take several hours to build (i.e. 6.5 hours on Intel i7, 1 hour on 32 Xeon cores with high-end NVMe.)"

and

"mongodb-binAUR - prebuilt MongoDB binary extracted from official MongoDB Ubuntu repository packages. Compilation options used are unknown."

Looking at the pages for each, it seems mongodb-bin has fewer dependencies, and does not specify that it needs 180GB free disk space (I have the space, but it seems odd that mongodb requires it).  Other than that, there isn't much I can gather regarding the difference between the two.  It seems that mongodb-bin is the better option, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone felt otherwise.

I am planning to use it in conjunction with a flask server (python) running on the same machine.

Which version do you recommend?  What is the difference between these two in terms of installation and usage? 

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited by eric.meehan (2020-05-28 04:16:11)

#2 2020-05-28 04:43:01

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: MongoDB Question

The -bin version is just a package of the binaries released by upstream, whereas the other is actually compiling the upstream source code when you run makepkg - hence the extra requirements in disk space and build time.

This is a common convention in package names.

#3 2020-05-28 13:53:24

ewaller
Administrator

And, if I recall correctly, the former package used to be in extra (or maybe community) as a binary, but there were unresolved questions as to whether their change in licence permitted redistribution of the binary, hence the move to AUR.  I am kind of surprised Ubuntu is hosting a binary.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2020-05-28 16:58:48

eschwartz
Fellow

Ubuntu isn't hosting it.

The -bin package downloads .deb files from https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu/ which mongodb.org has compiled and hosted.

See https://repology.org/project/mongodb/versions for a list of distributions and versions where mongodb is available, note that every real distro has either dropped it or only packages an old version from before the license change.

In terms of fake distros, blackarch packages it.

As a special exception, Gentoo and NetBSD pkgsrc provide source recipes for it, which I presume is because this doesn't introduce licensing issues. No different from the AUR, really, except that the AUR is user-provided only.
Scoop and Chocolatey on Windows provide mechanisms for installing the binary .msi installers in a less clumsy fashion than Windows software packaging usually involves.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2020-05-28 18:40:00

twelveeighty

ewaller wrote:

there were unresolved questions as to whether their change in licence permitted redistribution of the binary

Do you happen to have a link or reference to these questions/concerns or discussion thereof? I'm not disputing it, just curious because the MongoDB license FAQ paints a picture of "nothing has changed, unless you are hosting MongoDB as a service", which is very different from binary distribution.

#6 2020-05-28 19:00:41

eschwartz
Fellow

Google for "SSPL license" and you'll find lots of discussion on MongoDB's in-house license, its rejection by Linux distros as well as by the OSI approval process, etc.

No one really believes MongoDB is correct in claiming it's an OSS license, and the nonfree restrictions it applies makes it incompatible with GPL licenses, such as the one used by its wiredtiger dependency, and even if that dependency weren't an issue, you could not use it for other software that is GPL as a single derived work which reduces its value.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2020-05-29 00:02:36

eric.meehan

fukawi2 wrote:

The -bin version is just a package of the binaries released by upstream, whereas the other is actually compiling the upstream source code when you run makepkg - hence the extra requirements in disk space and build time.

This is a common convention in package names.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that in order to run it, I need the non -bin version?  Like I said, I have the space so that isn't a problem.

#8 2020-05-29 00:23:39

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

The -bin version uses the binaries that the upstream devs publish and just wraps them up into a package that pacman can manage.

The non-bin version will build a package using the upstream source code on your computer.

You may want to read up on exactly what the AUR is and the difference between makepkg/PKGBUILDs and pacman/packages: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository

Board footer