You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-16 17:30:08

blah123213

Openvpn - No valid secrets

This connection worked for a very long time. I suspect that installing libreoffice-fresh may have messed something up because I do not have gnome or kde. I just use dwm and I mostly use terminal applications, and I suspect that openvpn got changed somewhere to expect some gnome keyring thing or something similiar to that. I think libreoffice has a dependency on gtk and gnome, but I am just guessing

Error: Connection activation failed: No valid secrets
Hint: use 'journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=  + NM_DEVICE=enp0s25' to get more details.
May 16 13:22:01 mycomp NetworkManager[504]: <info>  [1684257721.9401] vpn[ ,"mullvad_us_all"]: starting openvpn
May 16 13:22:24 mycomp NetworkManager[504]: <warn>  [1684257744.1685] vpn[ ,"mullvad_us_all"]: secrets: failed to request VPN secrets #4: No agents were available for this request.

The secrets are there, and I have the password set and the connection is available for all users. I cant see anything that has changed though. The section that mentions "agents" makes me think openvpn is now waiting for some gnome gui thing that isnt there. When I edit the connection properties everything looks the same as it was before? Does anyone have any ideas? I certainly ran out.

currently I am just using wireguard and that is working for the time being but I still want to fix this

Last edited by blah123213 (2023-05-16 17:31:32)

#2 2023-05-16 18:38:22

vorvac

Re: Openvpn - No valid secrets

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=277583

I was having very similar issues (nearly exact same failure message), maybe something there can help.

#3 2023-05-22 19:47:15

ottoshmidt

I am having a slightly different message after upgrading networkmanager-openconnect to 1.2.10-1:

secrets: failed to request VPN secrets #3: User canceled the secrets request.

After downgrading networkmanager-openconnect to 1.2.8-2 at least a password dialog shows up, but later fails with a different error.

#4 2023-05-22 21:22:05

DKEBeck

I'm getting the same error since upgrading networkmanager-openconnect to 1.2.10-1 as well this morning.  I have my credentials saved in keyring.

Via GUI:

The VPN connection ConnectionName failed because there were no valid VPN secrets.

Via CLI:

$ nmcli con up id ConnectionName
A password is required to connect to 'ConnectionName'.
Warning: password for 'vpn.secrets.gateway' not given in 'passwd-file' and nmcli cannot ask without '--ask' option.
Error: Connection activation failed: No valid secrets
Hint: use 'journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION= + NM_DEVICE=eno1' to get more details.

Interestingly, vpn.secrets.gateway is definitely not my actual vpn gateway, so that might be the issue? Thankfully using --ask allows me to bypass the issue so I'm fine for now.

#5 2023-07-13 18:02:20

anhvu

ottoshmidt wrote:

After downgrading networkmanager-openconnect to 1.2.8-2 at least a password dialog shows up, but later fails with a different error.

I'm experimenting the same issue. Downgrading to 1.2.8-2 too.
Another workaround would be to call openconnect in CLI without using NetworkManager.

#6 2023-07-27 09:58:02

anikaoreilly89

If you have verified that the authentication credentials and configuration are correct, and you suspect that OpenVPN is waiting for a GNOME GUI component that is not present, I have some suggestions:

- Disable GNOME keyring integration: Open your OpenVPN configuration file and add the following line to disable GNOME keyring integration:
   keyring-remote ""

This will prevent OpenVPN from attempting to use the GNOME keyring.

- Restart OpenVPN service: After making the configuration change, restart the OpenVPN service to apply the new settings.
   sudo service openvpn restart

- Check for any additional dependencies: Verify that all the necessary dependencies for OpenVPN are installed on your system. Use your package manager to check for any missing or broken dependencies and install them if needed.

- Review system logs: Check the system logs (eg, /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages) for any error messages related to OpenVPN or GNOME. Look for any specific error messages that might provide more information about the issue.

- Try a different OpenVPN client: If the issue persists, you can try using a different OpenVPN client that does not rely on GNOME or any GUI components. For example, you can try using the command-line OpenVPN client instead of a GUI-based client.

- Seek assistance from the OpenVPN community: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider reaching out to the OpenVPN community or forums for further assistance. They may have encountered similar issues or have specific recommendations based on your setup.

Remember to backup any important files or configurations before making any changes to your system.

It’s not a bug; it’s an undocumented feature

#7 2023-08-16 09:22:17

anhvu

If you encounter GUI issue since networkmanager-openconnect 1.2.10, just install webkit2gtk-4.1 and it will work !

Board footer