You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-25 17:04:55

zelaumbr

Laptop warmer in linux

Hy guys, first of all I want to say thanks for Arch big_smile , its the best distribution I`ve ever seen, tnks a lot

I tried gentoo, ubuntu, kubuntu, and some others, but just arch find all my hardware correctly

But i have just one question, I think when I`m using Archlinux, my Laptop get warmer than when I`m running Windows,

is that possible ? Can I check ?

(PS: I`m always using my laptop plugged on the AC Power (almost never in the battery)

Thanks guy

#2 2007-08-25 17:44:09

lucke

Re: Laptop warmer in linux

Perhaps you don't have CPU throttling enabled.

#3 2007-09-04 14:11:57

DrPike

Yes, the same for me.
I have an ASUS A6J wich works cooled with windows after I have installed SPEEDFAN (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)
unfortunately it seems there is no way to make lmsensors working on that machine, so the FAN is not regolated and
the TEMP encreases encreases...

DP

#4 2007-09-05 15:46:30

pedepy

i have an LG S1 and it does tend to run hot also, most temperatures in the high 50C's but one that notably runs at 62 when idle and tends to "jump" to 72C once in a while. My fan doesnt seem to respond to this. I do not remember temperatures on the initial vista installation that came with the notebook, but I do remember that at one point the fan "turned on" to a "cooling mode" and it was rather noisy. Now I can never get that. Fan seems to be always on but at "normal" speed.

i got the cpufreq utils working and it does cool things down a bit but at the expense of running at half its frequency. While I dunno that 62 is THAT high I dont wanna shorten this baby's life more than I need to.

Oh, and ever since I got acpid and the cpufreq* packages installed and running, when I unplug the power cord and it scales down my cpu freq, my acpi_CMB0 battery indicator goes nuts .. goes from 0% to 100% and back and forth all the time so I cant see what actual power I have left ... not very convenient

i read a post on some guy who's main board failed after a few weeks or months at 60+ C temperatures .. i dont want that.

help.

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#5 2007-09-06 01:33:41

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Hello!

I've got higher temperature since I upgraded to 2.6.22.
My fan did not seem to respond and powersave told me  I usally get 50 C.
When I rebooted to Win XP, my fan started immediatly to cool my CPU.

I will try to downgrade to 2.6.21 to know if the new kernel is the cause.

Info, my laptop : Asus F3F

#6 2007-09-06 22:15:44

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Hello everyone!

I downgraded kernel26 to 2.6.21 and kernel-headers too.

My fan is now working normally and I get 10C less than before. hmm
I also needed to downgrade ipw3945...

I don't really know why 2.6.22 did not run my fan correctly but I think I will wait 2.6.23 before upgrade my system. neutral

@+

Board footer