You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-12 04:16:54

MartinZ

How to change hal mount options

Sorry if discussed before, i couldn't find this information.

How do I change the default options of hal for mounting external devices? Particularly, I want it to mount every single pendrive with codepage=850.

Thanks in advance.

All your base are belong to us

#2 2007-12-13 10:27:38

bwalk

Re: How to change hal mount options

*push* as this is a very interesting question. Or it is so simple nobody cares to tell.

#3 2007-12-13 17:11:35

Susu
Website

I'm interested in a proper solution, too...

Album reviews (in german): http://schallwelle.filzo.de

#4 2007-12-13 17:20:10

kakTuZ

I guess you need a udev rule for that, but never did that, so i have no idea how to do that.

#5 2007-12-13 22:57:41

The Vaxorcist

For the most part you don't need to mess with udev. Udev is for the device nodes themselves, whereas hal is for mounting them (among other things).

Hal can be configured by adding files to /etc/hal/. It's very nasty, though - they're in XML.

The documentation:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/ha … -spec.html

Default configuration files:
/usr/share/hal/fdi/
Don't edit them, make files in /etc/hal instead.

My config:
cat /etc/hal/fdi/policy/user.fdi
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
          <merge key="storage.policy.default.mount_root" type="string">/mnt</merge>
  </device>
  <device>
    <match key="storage.drive_type" string="cdrom">
            <match key="info.udi" string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model__NEC_DV_5700A">
              <merge key="volume.policy.desired_mount_point" type="string">cd</merge>
            </match>
      </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

#6 2007-12-14 15:34:14

kazuya

I was about to ask the same question. So by default, in a new archlinux install, simply doing :
pacman -S hal      - - > does not get hal setup to automagically detect external hard drives or CDROMS, etc?  That may be a downer. I still have the archlinux partition because I tend to copy certain configurations from the vector linux {slack-based} partition to the arch partition.

like the /boot/menu.lst   and  /etc/fstab

so is HAL or UDEV or both prefered to be installed to be able to mount and view data in external devices.. I used to think this was implemented when we checked allow USB support in the kernel creation step of the installation..?

Is there a good howto guide for HAL or for mounting devices.

Opensource; Become a part of it.

#7 2007-12-14 17:23:47

byte

If hal is installed and listed in DAEMONS it will work as expected. But how you mount your devices is still up to you... through KDE, Gnome, or some other tool like ivman.

#8 2007-12-17 00:18:28

MartinZ

Thanks a lot for replying, and sorry for taking so long to post again - I wasn't in Town.

So, Vaxorcist, you mean the only way is to create rules for hal, don't you? I feared to hear that, though they're very hard to write... but i don't understand why you say to create them under /etc/hal, shouldn't they be in a /etc/hal/fdi/policy/*.fdi file? And what does your config do?

#9 2007-12-17 04:50:24

MartinZ

I've found that pmount-hal mounts always fine my pendrives, I mean, with the appropriate codepage. Thus, i installed ivman and configured it to automount through pmount and turned off thunar-volume-manager. Now everything seems fine, maybe ivman is a better option than volman... it's a pity, because i find the last one very nice and configurable, maybe they should add an option to select which command use for mounting purposes.

#10 2007-12-17 15:06:27

kazuya

It worked fine. I just needed to add hal and dbus to my /etc/rc.conf file. The order in which you add them matter.

I believe it is something like
daemon ( syslog..... hal, dbus.}

I am loving arch right now.

Opensource; Become a part of it.

#11 2007-12-17 23:30:20

pressh
Developer/TU

kazuya wrote:

I believe it is something like
daemon ( syslog..... hal, dbus.}

just to clear things up, you either put dbus before hal, or leave dbus out as hal calls dbus if it is not started yet

Board footer