You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 00:33:40

colbert

Some Windows help?

Is this blasphemy or allowed here? smile

Being a "barely ever" Win user, how do I:
1. Get Remote desktop working on a remote box which is networked so that I can login to it using Remote Desktop from my arch box? (I currently have it working fine with my XP box on the home network but how would this be done with a box that is at another location?)
2. How to set a share on the remote networked XP box accessible so that I can write to it from my Arch box at home?

If this is not supposed to be posted here I apologize in advance, I am trying a couple Win forums as well but you are all very helpful so I thought I'd try wink Thanks

#2 2008-10-22 12:31:27

timetrap
Website

Re: Some Windows help?

This should probably be moved to another forum but . . .

Remote Desktop:

Start->Right Click on "My Computer"->Properties->Remote->Enable Remote Desktop

Folder Sharing: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 56988.aspx

google is your friend and so is technet.

#3 2008-10-22 14:26:30

mvdvarrier

timetrap wrote:

This should probably be moved to another forum but . . .

Remote Desktop:

Start->Right Click on "My Computer"->Properties->Remote->Enable Remote Desktop

Folder Sharing: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 56988.aspx

google is your friend and so is technet.

Dear Sir,
I think that some help in MS OS's will not hurt openness and principles  of the linux community since most of the real world computing environments are heterogeneous and in fact real linux followers will not be experts in MS OS's. For example I am trying to spread linux in schools in my neighborhood where all of the computers are installed with MS OS's. All Instructors are well familiar (perhaps addicts) with MS and they are not even  willing to try Linux. In that circumstances we have to prove the advantages of Linux over proprietary ones. Unfortunately this needs considerable knowledge in MS OS's at least to point out it's pitfalls.
Once when I tried to login to a Windows XP Prof: PC from a linux machine the existing user in the windows machine automatically logged out. I cannot solve that problem till now and they think that it is the drawback of linux OS!.
What I want to say that the difficult part in spreading linux is to solve migration problems and provide genuine alternatives to the proprietary programs. To do that a linux promoter should have a decent knowledge about these (Rubbish!) proprietary programs. This idea may seems conflicting but it is  the relity to face.
(Excuse me if my poor English cannot highlight my idea!)
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

#4 2008-10-25 02:42:08

Execute_Method

mvdvarrier wrote:

Once when I tried to login to a Windows XP Prof: PC from a linux machine the existing user in the windows machine automatically logged out. I cannot solve that problem till now and they think that it is the drawback of linux OS!.

This is because Terminal Services does not allow multiple simultaneous login in Windows XP.

how would this be done with a box that is at another location?

You would have to either have the RDP port forwarded to the remote box from the router of the network it is on and then use the Outside Ip address to connect, or if possible have VPN access to the network from your Arch box, so you can use the local(to the remote box) IP address to connect to it.

Last edited by Execute_Method (2008-10-25 02:53:43)

#5 2008-10-25 05:56:04

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

colbert wrote:

1. Get Remote desktop working on a remote box which is networked so that I can login to it using Remote Desktop from my arch box? (I currently have it working fine with my XP box on the home network but how would this be done with a box that is at another location?)

I think you're meaning from outside your home network? You need to port forward 3389 from your router to your internal box.

colbert wrote:

2. How to set a share on the remote networked XP box accessible so that I can write to it from my Arch box at home?

Again, if you mean from outside your home network, then this is a baaaaad idea!

I'd suggest looking in to setting up a VPN so you can establish a secure, encrypted tunnel from where ever you are remotely to your home network, then you can access everything without having to open up vulnerable services (including RDP) to the whole world.

#6 2008-10-27 03:51:28

SiC

Setting up a vpn is relatively trivial, set up an openssh box on the network, and forward ssh connections to it from the router.  Once you have done that you can use SSH tcp forwarding to gain remote desktop access to the machine you need. Best of all the VPN gateway is best done using a GNU/Linux box smile

Board footer