You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-10 05:06:56

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Mailman + Postfix + Virtual Domains

I'm going nuts trying to get this thing working... I spent the best part of yesterday getting Postfix and Courier working with Virtual Domains and a PostgreSQL backend. That's all working fine.

Now I've spent about the last 5 - 6 hours trying to get Mailman working -- obviously without any luck.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I tried installing from source, and following the 'official' installation manual, but that doesn't cover Virtual Domains very well (obviously not well enough to get it working at least).

*Then* I realized that their's a package in EXTRA for Mailman, so I wiped the source install I did, and installed the package, but I'm still stuck.

I think the main part of my problem, is the manual says that I should have a 'data/virtual-mailman' in the mailman installation directory, but I don't, and can't find any information on how it is created!

At the end of the day, I just need a single damn mail list on one of my virtual domains for a dozen people -- if anyone has an easier solution than this, please suggest! smile

#2 2009-03-10 14:52:16

dschrute

Re: Mailman + Postfix + Virtual Domains

think the main part of my problem, is the manual says that I should have a 'data/virtual-mailman' in the mailman installation directory, but I don't, and can't find any information on how it is created!

It should be a simple text file with some info specific to your domain(s) that will be using mailman.  If you haven't already, check the info here for the syntax of the file :

Specifically it says the file should look like :

dom1.ain  IGNORE
@dom1.ain @mail.dom1.ain

Where dom1.ain is your domain and mail.dom1.ain is your hostname

Note that I haven't done this...I've used Mailman and Postfix a fair amount, but neither with Virtual domains...

#3 2009-03-10 22:06:47

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

That was the installation manual I followed... It says that mailman should handle the creation and postmapping of this file, but it doesn't appear to on my machine :S

Mailman will write all virtual alias mappings to a file called, by default, /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman. It will also use postmap to create the virtual-mailman.db file that Postfix will actually use.

#4 2009-03-11 05:36:22

windowbreaker

I would try running the following two command:

updatedb
locate virtual-mailman

See if it finds the file named virtual-mailman anywhere on your system.

#5 2009-03-11 05:43:28

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

windowbreaker wrote:

I would try running the following two command:

updatedb
locate virtual-mailman

See if it finds the file named virtual-mailman anywhere on your system.

Nope sad

#6 2009-03-11 05:51:23

windowbreaker

Then try a recursive search within mailman's config files for that string

grep -R virtual-mailman /etc/mailman

* I don't currently have mailman installed, so I don't know if /etc/mailman is it's config dir or not.  You might find a setting commented out, or some documentation regarding this file.

#7 2009-03-11 05:58:23

windowbreaker

Also, what's the output of

postconf virtual_maps virtual_alias_maps

Let me be sure I understand your situation.  You currently have postfix setup with virtual domains and mysql.  You are successfully able to send/receive emails from your virtual accounts, correct?

In that case, you're probably trying to have postfix process all email sent to, say, my-list@mydomain.com, by mailman.  In which case you need to pass that email message to a mailman command, right?  I'm sure I got some things wrong, so go ahead and clear them up so I can give you detailed advice.

#8 2009-03-11 21:27:58

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

windowbreaker wrote:

Also, what's the output of

postconf virtual_maps virtual_alias_maps

Let me be sure I understand your situation.  You currently have postfix setup with virtual domains and mysql.  You are successfully able to send/receive emails from your virtual accounts, correct?

Correct.

postconf: warning: virtual_maps: unknown parameter
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias, pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql-virtual-forwards.cf

And the contents of /etc/postfix/pgsql-virtual-forwards.cf

hosts = localhost
user = postfix
password = MY_PASSWORD
dbname = db_postfix
query = SELECT forward_to FROM aliases WHERE email = '%s'

/etc/postfix/virtual_alias

MAILER-DAEMON:  postmaster
postmaster:     root
bin:            root
daemon:         root
named:          root
nobody:         root
uucp:           root
www:            root
ftp-bugs:       root
postfix:        root
manager:        root
dumper:         root
operator:       root
abuse:          postmaster
decode:         root
root:           MYADDRESS@gmail.com
windowbreaker wrote:

In that case, you're probably trying to have postfix process all email sent to, say, my-list@mydomain.com, by mailman.  In which case you need to pass that email message to a mailman command, right?  I'm sure I got some things wrong, so go ahead and clear them up so I can give you detailed advice.

Correct. My domain in question is ryla9810.org which has one alias that forwards to my gmail account (phil@), and I need one mail list with a dozen members (team@). The forward works, but the maillist is causing me grief sad

Thanks for all your input so far smile

Board footer