You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-06 23:19:29

mm23

internet constantly drops REGARDLESS of type

this is driving me insane. my internet is constantly crapping out every 5-30 minutes. at first I thought it was a wireless issue, but I switched over to a wired ethernet connection and it's still happening. I realize how vague I'm being but dmesg has absolutely nothing -- there is no log output or anything to indicate a problem. I know it is not my router as it works fine for other computers and when booted to windows. this problem started to occur after a pacman -Syu update, I'm not sure what got broken.

any ideas?

#2 2009-04-07 02:40:16

mm23

Re: internet constantly drops REGARDLESS of type

fixed it by reinstalling arch. not the ideal solution, but something was definitely messed up. at least i got to switch over to nifty ext4.

remember kids, always keep your home directory on a separate partition.

#3 2009-04-07 02:42:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I know you have solved it...but having mismatched host names in the /etc/hosts and /etc/rc.conf is one of the reasons when you have network troubles. Something to look for if you ever encounter it again.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-04-07 02:42:52)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-04-07 02:54:52

mm23

yeah, I also thought that, and that is an excellent suggestion.

however, i had scrutinized both my /etc/hosts and rc.conf pretty closely, along with all the other network config files. i only reinstalled after i had run out of options -- and it would appear it may have been an issue from the changes made to internet for virtualbox, an emulator I use to run photoshop and a few other non-wine friendly (at least for me tongue) apps in arch. I think the module compiled to share internet with the host and guest machines was causing random internet dropping and even after removing every trace of virtualbox it was still corrupting my files somehow. an arch reinstall only takes about 20 minutes anyway, it's no real hassle. but in fact, after copying my entire /etc/* contents back over, everything is still working.

it would be a lot easier if it was just a hostname issue sad

Board footer