You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-16 00:11:49

Mardoct

Double Mounting?

Can I mount a mounted drive through a proxy? What I'm trying to do is mount an external hard drive to a computer, then use sshfs to mount the computer. Will the external hard drive show up if I mount it before hand?

This also leads me to a more frivolous question that I don't actaully need answered: Could I daisy chain a few computers together with ssh by connecting to one, then ssh into another from the remote host, etc. ?

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#2 2009-09-16 00:43:20

Zack89

Re: Double Mounting?

Mmm.. I dont think mounting is the proper word your looking for here.. Once a drive is mounted its locked to that said directory until its unmounted.  If im reading how sshfs works properly, if the hard drive is mounted to the pc your sshfsing to that pc, you should have access to it?

Registered User number: 496613. Show your Tux Pride!
http://counter.li.org

#3 2009-09-16 00:53:44

Mardoct

External HD --------Mounted to----------> Computer A <--------------sshfs from ------------> Computer B

Can computer b access the External HD?

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#4 2009-09-16 01:25:35

Zack89

As long as the hard drive is.. man.. um.. im assuming Computer B is a guest? Do you just wanna read the hard drive? or execute and or write to it?
It honestly depends on privileges.. -rwx for read write execute, -r-x for read execute, or -r-- for strictly readwrite, u can change privs using chmod on the drive directory. Since you are sshfsing to your own drive you prolly want to have -r-x for guest rights.

#5 2009-09-16 01:50:11

Mardoct

Ok, so yes I can without blowing stuff up. Good to know. I'll keep permissions in mind.

#6 2009-09-16 02:12:04

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Yes you can. I mount a NAS device over SMB to my home desktop (/media/NAS), then I SSHFS access the mount from work as: home-desktop:/media/NAS

#7 2009-09-16 03:33:16

Zack89

Am I right with my logic tho fukawi2? I been working on trying to help people  on here since I used to ask for help alot here when I first started over a year ago lol

#8 2009-09-16 03:52:43

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Zack89 wrote:

Am I right with my logic tho fukawi2? I been working on trying to help people  on here since I used to ask for help alot here when I first started over a year ago lol

I'm not quite sure where you're going with the permissions stuff, but yes, the user used to login via SSHFS will require permissions to access the directory where the drive is mounted.

Mardoct wrote:

Could I daisy chain a few computers together with ssh by connecting to one, then ssh into another from the remote host, etc. ?

Yes, so long as the SSH host allows outgoing SSH connections. I use this kind of functionality regularly. My production servers are locked down very tight, but I relax the security a (very) little bit on my home server so when I'm out and about, I SSH to my home server, then use that as a hop-off point to access the rest of my servers.

#9 2009-09-16 04:30:07

Zack89

Well with my hole permissions things was basically this: Once the HD was mounted to the pc it could be accessed via SSHFS. My theory was I was assuming that when he uses SSHFS hes logging in as a guest, if that was the case he would need the proper permissions to access it. On files/directories permissions exist as such: -rwxrwxrwx, each rwx represents a user account, first being root, second being admin, 3rd being anyone else. so a file, foo, with permissions -rwxrwxrwx means root, admin, and everyone can read, write, and execute that file. In order for him to make proper use of the SSHFS, the drive would need to have a r-x permission for whatever account he was using inorder to atleast read the HD and execute files from it. the chmod command allows you to change permissions.

#10 2009-09-16 05:38:56

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Zack89 wrote:

Well with my hole permissions things was basically this: Once the HD was mounted to the pc it could be accessed via SSHFS. My theory was I was assuming that when he uses SSHFS hes logging in as a guest, if that was the case he would need the proper permissions to access it. On files/directories permissions exist as such: -rwxrwxrwx, each rwx represents a user account, first being root, second being admin, 3rd being anyone else. so a file, foo, with permissions -rwxrwxrwx means root, admin, and everyone can read, write, and execute that file. In order for him to make proper use of the SSHFS, the drive would need to have a r-x permission for whatever account he was using inorder to atleast read the HD and execute files from it. the chmod command allows you to change permissions.

Yes, I understand permissions... You're just explaining them in a somewhat confusing manner, at least from my PoV tongue

Presumably the user is logging into the machine via SSH under the same username that he/she normally uses, so permissions shouldn't be an issue for him/her if the mount is normally accessible.

BTW...

Zack89 wrote:

first being root, second being admin, 3rd being anyone else

Not quite right... First is the owner (not always root!), and the second is the group ('admin' group doesn't even exist by default unless you create it, and then chown or chgrp the file/directory to that group).

#11 2009-09-16 05:58:41

Zack89

No.. im pretty sure im right.. System is the same as root.. all systems have a root or system user which has access to everything, second group would be admin not group.. only admins have write permissions on the system defaultly.. everyone else would be group 3 so yeah.. im right

#12 2009-09-16 06:47:13

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Board footer