You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-25 08:54:16

otacon
Website

Tell me about networking please

So I have a basic setup

Modem --> wireless router ---> Desktop1 (Arch)

---> old desktop/server (Windows) ---> PPPDed laptop through serial port (Windows 3.11)
                                                                ---> really old desktop that is going to take some server stuff away from Old Desktop (windows)
                                                                ---> two wireless Macs (OSX)

So I VNC/SSH/FTP (still trying to find a good way to transfer files between everything) to everything from my Mac desktop.

I want to know if there is a more advanced network that would work faster.
I have four wireless routers so if I separated things with those would it not slow down other things. (Right now I am worried that I am bottle necking the wireless router.)

I also wonder if I could run a second modem in the other room and divide up services. (I am using cable for internet)

My main concern is security and having a setup with the fastest data transfer both wirelessly and wired.

Last edited by otacon (2009-09-25 18:12:25)

http://remcycle.net
Cheap Web Hosting and Even Cheaper Domain Registration

#2 2009-09-25 09:38:55

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Tell me about networking please

the three desktops and the two Macs should connect to the router. If it doesn't have enough ethernet ports, get a switch. You don't need to use four wifi routers - just use the best one of the four. A second modem will only help if you have two separate net connections i.e. two ISPs.

Also I've removed the exclamation marks from your title, because they are unnecessary and irritating.

#3 2009-09-25 10:12:55

zenlord
Website

Second that + you could probably switch off the DHCP-functionality of those spare routers and use them as a switch.

Last edited by zenlord (2009-09-25 10:14:08)

#4 2009-09-25 14:16:09

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

- Use cables where at all possible
- Minimise cable lengths / wireless distance between connection points
- Minimise the number of connection points, wired or wireless
- Don't duplicate functions in multiple places - FOUR wireless access points?! yikes

Board footer