You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-23 04:55:14

ssl6

sync folders to network shares?

I set myself up a windows server, running AD, print services, filesharing, network installation stuff, and what not. I got bored really, but I figure I may as well make use of it, since I don't know what else to do with a dual P3 system. actually, to be honest, the whole reason I got the dual P3 was so i could get some hands on experience with server 2008

anyhow, after much trial and error, I managed to get some shares mounted in fstab via cifs, one of which, is a backup folder for myself.

basically, what i want, is to have my home folder on this machine synced to the one on the server. I tried devicesync, which works....which was a bad idea because as it turns out, it wants to replace everything everytime, so its not really a viable option.

so I'm looking for something that can sync my data to the server, pretty much the way that it is, so that i can access it across my network in the same manor of organized chaos that I do locally. I figure a weekly cron job will come into play, but right now I just need something that can do the incremental changes, adding new files and modified files.

I'm hoping that if i can get this setup the way I want, rather than scattering stuff across multiple machines, I may be able to keep stuff on the main linux machine I use, and as long as things stay synched with the network folder on the server, I might just be able to quit scattering stuff across so many machines, and just have everything on the main machine, and then the network backup that i can access from any machine, since I'm running AD, and managed to get some login scripts to map my folders

any suggestions?

Last edited by ssl6 (2009-12-23 05:00:08)

this is a signature

#2 2009-12-23 05:04:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: sync folders to network shares?

You may want to check out rsync.

#3 2009-12-23 05:20:20

ssl6

thats a start, I'm sure it should do the job.

but I'm looking at the examples on the site, and it seems they have splitting files by the day of the backup. I'm safe to assume thats not necessary?

just started looking at the wiki page, should have thought to check for that first.

it should do the trick, if i can figure it out, I thought I was a tech guy.....until I went linux....windows I can do in my sleep...but some of the linux stuff, man........at the same time though, rsync looks like a much simpler and straight to the point than anything i've found for my windows clients, i hate the windows backup for splitting files into folders in all sorts of wierd ways, and I really don't consider offline files an option for backup, I don't know why that would ever be suggested, at least for my scenario....

anyhow, Thanks a lot for the speedy reply, I'll post back with results, or if I need another suggestion, but I'm 99% positive rsync is what I'm looking for

just thought i'd note, I'm actually quite impressed by that specific wiki page, props to whoever wrote it, for breaking down the commands and explaining the switches, saves me doing rsync --help to get that info, jsut a nice touch I feel I sometimes don't see often enough

Last edited by ssl6 (2009-12-23 05:23:27)

this is a signature

#4 2009-12-23 05:52:19

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

If it's a one way synchronisation, then go for rsync.

If you need 2-way sync then have a look at Unison.

#5 2009-12-23 06:42:05

ssl6

i might be able to find a use for unison, but right now I'm just working with rsync to at least get started

what I'm wondering, is with rsync, I want to exclude most hidden folders from my home directory, except a select few. so if i make an exclude filter, for anything starting with a period, and then make an include list for the ones i specify......will that work? or does the exclude list take precedence?

this is a signature

#6 2009-12-23 07:36:41

jowilkin

Unison is good for keeping a bunch of machines synced.  Just decide on one as the "master" and tell all machines to sync with the master with unison.  This is what I do and it works like a charm.

#7 2009-12-23 07:39:23

ssl6

hmm.......i'm frustrated as all hell right now, trying to make an include exclue list file for rsync........

does anyone have a file they can paste a section of, i'm looking at the site, and the examples, and i'm doing something wrong, thats for sure

this is a signature

#8 2009-12-23 07:42:16

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

#9 2009-12-23 07:55:52

ssl6

ah, makes sense now.....

this is a signature

#10 2009-12-23 12:38:29

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Yeah, it's a bit confusing the first time you have to try and figure it out wink

Board footer