You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-08 19:12:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

lswest wrote:

If you keep up the good work, Inxsible may need a new liver after all those offers of beer wink  I'm not a drinker, but if you're ever in Munich, I'd be happy to buy you one too.

Thanks. I actually don't drink either... guess I'll need a Bavarian ambassador too. I just hope that I don't get flooded with applications when we start getting close to Oktoberfest. tongue

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-08 19:12:29)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#27 2010-01-08 19:14:14

jdarnold
Website

Can you explain how to install bauerbill? I'd love to give it a try but really just an Arch newbie.

Last edited by jdarnold (2010-01-08 19:38:10)

#28 2010-01-08 19:26:07

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

lswest wrote:

You're welcome smile

If you keep up the good work, Inxsible may need a new liver after all those offers of beer wink  I'm not a drinker, but if you're ever in Munich, I'd be happy to buy you one too.

I am only the tri state beverage ambassador. So I guess I will be ok wink

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#29 2010-01-08 19:28:07

lswest
Website

Haha, Oktoberfest might require a team of ambassadors tongue  Either way, if you're in Munich I'll happily buy you lunch or a coke or something lol.

Inxsible, you'd be surprised... tongue

@jdarnold:

You need to add his repository to your pacman.conf file (under /etc/), then sync the mirror databases, and just install bauerbill.

Run the following commands to do the above:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf

Find the repositories, and insert the following above [community]:

Once that's done, save using ctrl + o, and exit using ctrl + x.

Then run this command:

sudo pacman -Sy bauerbill

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by lswest (2010-01-08 19:32:08)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#30 2010-01-08 19:58:39

jdarnold
Website

Thanks lswest, that worked like a champ. bauerbill seems pretty fast.

#31 2010-01-08 20:31:10

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@jdarnold
As you mentioned that you're "just an Arch newbie", I want to emphasize that you need to be careful with the "--aur" option. You can wreck your system if you try to install a malicious package. Do not skip past the PKGBUILD inspection step for AUR packages and make sure that you read up on building packages in the wiki to know what you're looking at and what Bauerbill is doing.

Having stated that, everything else should be completely safe, including the "--abs" option to build repo packages from source. Just use it the same way that you use Pacman, e.g. "bauerbill -Syu", etc

If you're not familiar with Powerpill, which Bauerbill essentially is with a few added feature, take a look at the Powerpill documentation to learn how it speeds up downloads, etc.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-08 20:31:58)

#32 2010-01-08 20:43:31

jdarnold
Website

After abandoning an update, I tried it again and got this:

$ sudo bauerbill --abs --aur --build-deps -Su                                                                                                                      
--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...                                                                                                                    
--> Searching for upgradable AUR packages...                                                                                                                     
--> Loading AUR taurball data...                                                                                                                                 
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise and (&) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2093.                                            
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise or (|) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2099.                                             
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise and (&) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2093.                                            
Use of uninitialized value $mode in bitwise or (|) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 2099.                                             
warning: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/AUR/guayadeque-svn/PKGBUILD

It seemed to work just fine though, as it updated 3 packages from AUR.

#33 2010-01-08 20:44:52

jdarnold
Website

And shouldn't bauerbill default to $EDITOR if it isn't set in the config?

#34 2010-01-08 20:46:07

jdarnold
Website

@Xyne I'm an Arch newbie but long time Linux hacker, so yes, I do look at the PKGBUILDs. Someday, I'll even write one myself smile But thanks for the reminder.

#35 2010-01-08 20:50:18

jdarnold
Website

I tried to edit a PKGFILE and got the following:

$ sudo bauerbill -S ruby-gettext
--> Loading AUR taurball data...
--> Loading ABS taurball data...
--> Checking for abs archive updates for the following repos: [community]
warning: about to source /tmp/bauerbill/build/community/ruby-gettext/PKGBUILD
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]  e
error: no editor specified... enter the full path to an editor or hit enter to exit
/usr/bin/gnuclientw
Use of uninitialized value $editor in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Xyne/Arch/Bauerbill.pm line 1646, <STDIN> line 2.
sh: /tmp/bauerbill/build/community/ruby-gettext/PKGBUILD: Permission denied
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]  e
error: /usr/bin/gnuclientw is not an executable path... enter the full path to an editor or hit enter to exit
/usr/bin/emacsclient
sh: /usr/bin/gnuclientw: No such file or directory
view [v]  backup [b]  edit [e]  continue [ok]  abort [x]

I did mistype my editor the first time and, in fact, there is no 'gnuclientw' (that's the windows one). But as you can see, I typed it in later and it seemed to ignore it.

#36 2010-01-08 20:59:34

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

It seems like it may have been trying to stat non-existent files. I've added a check to prevent that but I don't know how a non-existent path got through to that function. Let me know if it happens again.

jdarnold wrote:

And shouldn't bauerbill default to $EDITOR if it isn't set in the config?

It does now. wink

jdarnold wrote:

@Xyne I'm an Arch newbie but long time Linux hacker, so yes, I do look at the PKGBUILDs. Someday, I'll even write one myself smile But thanks for the reminder.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that it was clear. Finding beverage ambassadors is easy... blame ambassadors though, not so.

*edit*
I've fixed the other problems with setting the editor (perl-xyne-arch-1.0.18).

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-08 21:08:58)

#37 2010-01-08 21:34:56

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

bauerbill looks pretty nice, but 6.42MB install size with deps seems a bit much for a yaourt replacement.. hmm

</nitpick>

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#38 2010-01-08 21:52:02

lswest
Website

@jdarnold
Glad I could help smile

@Xyne
Wow, you work fast tongue

@litemotiv
I don't really think it's that bad.  You get a lot of bang for your buck (in my opinion).  Not only that...but yaourt doesn't do ABS, does it? (I've never tried, but I don't believe it does), so it's a bit more than just a yaourt replacement I'd say...more like an upgrade smile

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#39 2010-01-08 21:57:07

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

lswest wrote:

I don't really think it's that bad.  You get a lot of bang for your buck (in my opinion).  Not only that...but yaourt doesn't do ABS, does it? (I've never tried, but I don't believe it does), so it's a bit more than just a yaourt replacement I'd say...more like an upgrade

i personally haven't felt a need to use abs since i started with arch, but fair enough, i don't believe yaourt does that smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#40 2010-01-08 22:05:37

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

litemotiv wrote:

bauerbill looks pretty nice, but 6.42MB install size with deps seems a bit much for a yaourt replacement.. hmm

</nitpick>

OMG, it takes up a little more than 1/13653 of my hdd!!! blasphemy!!!
tongue

My internet is fast enough, and the packages i use are mostly small, but I'll have a look at it when i go at installing DE's for my family.

#41 2010-01-08 22:20:14

faelar
Website

-Syu provide no output for telling you there's nothing to update :

[23:14 root /home/faelar] bauerbill -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 xyne-any is up to date
 community is up to date
[23:16 root /home/faelar]

Nothing to add yet, I don't need any huge package for the moment sorry wink

#42 2010-01-08 22:24:56

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

litemotiv wrote:

</nitpick>

Which deps do you need that you don't already have? perl-libwww is less than 1 MB and my perl modules are only about 400 Kb combined.

Also, what's the total size of yaourt with srcpac, abs, etc?

I'm really just curious. If you see Bauerbill as nothing more than an AUR frontend then I don't blame you for thinking 6 MB of deps is too much.

faelar wrote:

-Syu provide no output for telling you there's nothing to update

What's the default pacman message? I've had sylpheed and enchant in my ignore array for so long that I don't remember what pacman says when the system is fully up-to-date.

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-08 22:26:47)

#43 2010-01-08 22:42:20

rson451
Website

@Xyne: " local database is up to date" <- space included.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#44 2010-01-08 22:43:31

jac
Website

Nice program, I tried it out yesterday and I liked it, but haven't actually done anything major with it yet. Only problem I've had was the default editor thing, which you already fixed

Xyne wrote:

What's the default pacman message?

:: Starting full system upgrade...
 local database is up to date

#45 2010-01-08 22:50:04

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

hatten wrote:

OMG, it takes up a little more than 1/13653 of my hdd!!! blasphemy!!!
tongue

My internet is fast enough, and the packages i use are mostly small, but I'll have a look at it when i go at installing DE's for my family.

i'm on a 32GB ssd with a 5GB root partition and 10GB saved for a winxp vm (not my choice), so yes i always check filesizes before i install stuff.

Xyne wrote:

Which deps do you need that you don't already have? perl-libwww is less than 1 MB and my perl modules are only about 400 Kb combined.

it wants to install these:

Targets (10): c-ares-1.7.0-2  aria2-1.8.0-1  perl-xyne-common-1.0.3-1  perl-uri-1.52-1  perl-html-tagset-3.20-1  perl-html-parser-3.62-1  perl-libwww-5.833-2  perl-xyne-arch-1.0.18-1  
              powerpill-17.0-3  bauerbill-0.1-5  

Total Installed Size:   6.42 MB

Also, what's the total size of yaourt with srcpac, abs, etc?

a few hundred KB's, but then i don't use srcpac or abs.

I'm really just curious. If you see Bauerbill as nothing more than an AUR frontend then I don't blame you for thinking 6 MB of deps is too much.

yes i guess i am primarily looking for a better yaourt replacement. smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#46 2010-01-08 23:23:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Xyne,

I thought you said, bauerbill was an enhanced powerpill, so why does it need to install powerpill again for litemotiv ??

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-01-08 23:23:47)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#47 2010-01-08 23:39:22

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@rson451 & jac
Thanks. I'm looking into adding that message right now.

@litemotive
Most of that size is due to aria2 then. That's an integral part of parallell/segmented package and source downloads (remember that Bauerbill, like Powerpill, aims to make the most of your bandwidth too).

@Inxsible
Take a look at "pacman -Ql powerpill" and open up /usr/bin/powerpill in an editor. The powerpill package really just contains a front-end entry point to the Powerpill module in perl-xyne-arch. Bauerbill "depends" on Powerpill for the documentation, as there is no point in repeating everything written there in the Bauerbill man page.

Btw, the powerpill package is 16 K on my system.

*edit*

bauerbill -Syu
--> Searching for upgradable repo packages...
 local database is up to date

It works here yet I haven't changed anything. hmm

Last edited by Xyne (2010-01-08 23:50:46)

#48 2010-01-09 16:27:48

flowheat

I might be doing something wrong but for some reason bauerbill isn't seeing the necessary updates.

┌─[kurt@arch:~]-[6:24:49]            
└─> sudo bauerbill -Syyu
 xyne-any                   5.4K   83.6K/s 00:00:00 [#########################################################] 100%
 testing                   10.3K  245.9K/s 00:00:00 [#########################################################] 100%
 core                      35.8K  308.6K/s 00:00:00 [#########################################################] 100%
 extra                    443.7K  633.3K/s 00:00:01 [#########################################################] 100%
 community-testing          4.1K  242.2K/s 00:00:00 [#########################################################] 100%
 community                367.4K  656.8K/s 00:00:01 [#########################################################] 100%
┌─[kurt@arch:~]-[6:25:03]                                                                                           
└─> sudo pacman -Syu
 xyne-any is up to date
 testing is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community-testing is up to date
 community is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (35): alsa-lib-1.0.22-1  alsa-utils-1.0.22-2  aria2-1.8.0-1  dhcpcd-5.1.4-1  xulrunner-1.9.1.7-1
              firefox-3.5.7-1  freeglut-2.6.0-1  gnupg2-2.0.14-1  iproute2-2.6.31-1  kdeedu-marble-4.3.4-3
              kernel26-firmware-2.6.32.3-1  kernel26-2.6.32.3-1  kernel26-headers-2.6.32.3-1
              kernel26-lts-2.6.27.43-1  laptop-mode-tools-1.53-1  libmysqlclient-5.1.42-1  libsndfile-1.0.21-1
              libgssglue-0.1-2  libtirpc-0.2.1-1  mysql-clients-5.1.42-1  mysql-5.1.42-1  netcfg-2.5.0rc2-1
              nvidia-utils-190.53-1  nvidia-190.53-1  pam-1.1.1-1  perl-uri-1.52-1  pm-utils-1.2.6.1-4
              postgresql-libs-8.4.2-1  powerpill-17.0-3  qtcurve-gtk2-1.0.0-1  qtcurve-kde4-1.0.0-1
              rp-pppoe-3.10-2  rrdtool-1.4.2-1  rsync-3.0.7-1  util-linux-ng-2.16.2-1

Total Download Size:    154.26 MB
Total Installed Size:   431.15 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n
┌─[kurt@arch:~]-[6:25:15]
└─>

EDIT:

Ok so I used "bauerbill -Su --aur" instead and that worked, but still shouldn't "bauerbill -Syu --aur" work for a full system upgrade?

Last edited by flowheat (2010-01-09 16:35:17)

#49 2010-01-09 18:59:19

skottish
Forum Fellow

Either I'm missing an option or I have a feature request. I'd like it when running -Qu to have both the installed version and the possible upgrade version listed. It's useful in the case where, like now, pacman is trying to force an upgrade which isn't an upgrade at all. Don't mind me alias:

~ > bb -Qu 
haskell-x11 1.5.0.0-1

~ > bb -Si haskell-x11 | grep Version
Version        : 1.4.6.1-1

#50 2010-01-09 19:31:29

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

@flowheat
That's definitely an error. I'll fix that now.

@skottish
I think it would make more sense to show that too (the code is there, commented out) but for some reason the Pacman devs decided that "-Qu" should only show the local version (ask them why).
I'll add an option to show the upgrade version, maybe as "$pkgname $local_ver -> $sync_ver".

Board footer