You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-28 23:00:16

btwxt

Mail

I have to set up a mail server for a very small company with only 2 employees and I'm wondering if a
Postfix/Dovecot or Courier-MTA setup is the way to go.  I've looked into Hula, which is very nice, but it
seems development has ceased for that particular project.  I'll assume the entire server will only use
5 total accounts.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do for this?  The small size is what's making
me hesistate to do a full-blown deployment.  Is there anything similar to Hula that's doable?  Or am I
stuck?

Thanks smile

#2 2010-03-29 02:43:32

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Mail

Give them a dedicated machine with lots of disk space and set them up with IMAP (assuming they can be on the same local network as the server).

Alternatively, set yourself up a dedicated machine (VPS or something @ Linode) with Virtual Hosting and then share the machine between this company and other similar companies that need a small solution.

#3 2010-03-29 02:58:39

btwxt

fukawi2:

I actually already have a Linode (which is 1). awesome and 2). where this setup will be going).  I'm just unsure of which software to use for the mail server.

#4 2010-03-29 06:42:53

zenlord
Website

You should have a look at sogo (Scalable OGO). Tiy still have to install dovecot/postfix/ldap and postgresql, but they combine everything into a exchange-type of server (webinterface and customized thunderbird). The really good thing about it is that they only use open standards, so your not tied to them and you can switch to another package anytime you'd like.

If I can find the time, I would like to use it at home first and then deploy it at my own company (3 co-workers). We are currently using dovecot/exim4/davical/nfs/kerberos and everything is dandy - but I would like some more things to be GUI (f.e. setting a vacation-message in an email-account is currently done very inefficiently)

Zl.

Last edited by zenlord (2010-03-29 06:45:02)

#5 2010-03-29 16:17:27

btwxt

SOGo looks very interesting, thanks for the tip!

As of right now I'm in the process of setting up Postfix and
Dovecot.  I'm probably going to go with Roundcube or
Squirrelmail at first, then possibly take a look at SOGo.
I should have mentioned that this is my company as well,
so I have some time to do it right. 

Would you recommend Exim over Postfix?

#6 2010-03-30 00:50:00

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

btwxt wrote:

Would you recommend Exim over Postfix?

No.

I use Postfix with dovecot, sql-grey and spf-policyd over a PostgreSQL backend, plus roundcubemail and postfixadmin on one of my Linode 360's for exactly what you're talking about smile

#7 2010-03-30 01:23:59

btwxt

Everything I've read has pointed me to Postfix, and I'm getting used to the config so I'll stick with it.
I was thinking about using an SQL backend for mine, as well, but I figured since there will only be a
couple of us using this server I'd just use PAM and a maildir.  I feel like it might not be the most secure
way to go about things, though.  Think I should switch to a database?

Thanks for all the responses, guys.  I appreciate it.

#8 2010-03-30 21:19:57

zenlord
Website

Our sysadmin has set us up a maildir, no SQL-backend whatsoever. I'm not sure if we would benefit from such a setup.

The exim vs postfix-discussion is way over my head. Our sysadmin is really a low-level-kinda-guy. He tends to find things bloated, and why (f.e.) install HylaFax as a full-blown faxserver if mgetty has an extension that'll do just fine?

The security on our server is fully kerberized: email, nfs, ldap, http.

Things that are on my wishlist: squid as a webcache and intranet-cache, mgetty as a faxserver and some more BASIC-macro's for our OOo-templates...

Board footer