You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-20 22:12:32

dozerismydogsname

Bridging Samba connections?

I currently have samba server running on my desktop and my backup/storage computer (both of these computers have archlinux). I currently have a system set up where i can copy stuff from my desktop to laptops and other computers around the house. I was wondering if it was possible to bridge the connections between my desktop and a backup/storage computer. How would i go along doing something like this?

#2 2010-04-20 22:34:48

pseudonomous

Re: Bridging Samba connections?

One approach would be to mount shares on your Samba server from the Storage server using NFS or some such method, then exporting the directory you've mounted as a Samba share.

I have no idea if that's a good idea or not, but I'm sure it would at least sort-of work.

Other options include:

sshfs
ftp
afs
iscsi (this would probably work the best, because you mount iscsi devices like local devices)

Why do you want to export the files from your computer and not the strorage server directly?  If it's so you only have to login to one computer to access the shares, you might want to look into setting your desktop as an NT4 style PDC (primary domain controller), but this won't work with the XP,Vista,or 7 home-edtions, only with Win2k (or earlier, through hackery) or professional editions of Windows.

Setting up a PDC and then joining the domain should allow your users to sign on once and then access all shared resources.

See the Samba page docs for extensive documentation related to this subject.

Last edited by pseudonomous (2010-04-20 22:36:37)

#3 2010-04-20 22:39:02

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Bridging Samba connections?

dozerismydogsname wrote:

I was wondering if it was possible to bridge the connections between my desktop and a backup/storage computer. How would i go along doing something like this?

You need to define your question more clearly -- at the moment it doesn't make sense.

A bridge is a device to join two Layer 2 networks together; regardless (generally) of the protocols being used in Layer 3 and above...

Board footer