You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-26 20:10:57

looseloop

two different ethernet cards - switches name on reboot

Hey!

Been a windows user all my life and just made the move over to linux. I have a die hard linux mate who finally persuaded me, and i decided to try arch. He has gento but that just seems too advanced for me. even archlinux is proving to be quite a handful...

eitherway, i just installed arch on my laptop, and the proceeded to install it on a piece of shit computer i plan to use as a server. The only problem so far with the piece of crap is that for some reason the motherboard has two ethernet cards, and they randomly get different names (they alternate being called eth0 and eth1). Since my network cable is only connected to one of them, this poses a problem. I dont want to have a monitor connected to it, which means i basically just want to turn it on, and then connect via openssh.

In my rc.conf file i have set eth0="dhcp" and INTERFACES=(eth0), but since the network cards randomly change name this only works sometimes.

Is there anyway to set so that each network card gets the same name/number everytime?

Thanks!

#2 2010-05-26 20:15:52

compaq615

Re: two different ethernet cards - switches name on reboot

If you only need 1 port, I think this migth work:?

put in /etc/rc.conf

INTERFACES=(eth0 !eth1)

Just to be sure, are both ports for ethernet ?
Because I had the same problem with one being ethernet, the other being wirless.
I had to start my drivers in a specific order...

#3 2010-05-26 20:29:06

looseloop

hey!

yeah both are normal ethernet. It's kind of weird, i can only turn one of them on/off in the bios. One of them actually seems to never work, and when i use lspci to see the hardware they are too different makes (one is nvidia, one is marvel) even though they are on the same motherboard. I dont think you're tip is going to work, since sometimes the "wrong" ethernet card is called eth1, sometimes its called eth0. I think i have to make sure the drivers are installed in the right order. How do i do that? The driver(s) were automatically installed... using udev i suppose.

thanks!

#4 2010-05-26 20:30:46

karol
Archivist

> Is there anyway to set so that each network card gets the same name/number everytime?
Read the fine wiki.

#5 2010-05-26 23:21:22

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

#6 2010-05-26 23:36:09

karol
Archivist

I think this is one of *the* most asked (and easiest to fix) questions asked here - along with 'time skew' and 'the f*cking beep'.
I don't think that a 'please' will help though. The 'A' in the Arch logo always looked to me as a sharp and pointy thing made to cause pain - lots of pain. Iron maiden anyone? Denailing? Good ol' crucifixion?

Board footer