You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-20 23:03:12

edtaylor09

Issues with Ext3 and Ext4 file-systems??

Hello everyone smile

I've recently come across an article on Linux Magazine about, 'the sense -- or nonsense -- of journaling and delayed allocation before a commit in the ext3 and ext4 filesystems.'
Also, in this article, Linus Torvalds, raised some issues about ext3 and ext4. I give heed to what he says, as he is the creator of the GNU/Linux kernel.

This made me become a bit more concerned about the reliability of my system in the long-run, as I have no problems as of yet. (apart from one irremovable, 0byte file)

Here is the url: http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Ne … 3-and-Ext4

I'd like to gather more data from the forums, so I am able to justify whether or not I should change file-systems, to, for example, JFS(I have read the documentation from Archwiki, about tweaking JFS to it's maximum performance and stability.) As it stands, I am very much inclined in formatting /root and /home as JFS files-systems.

Any input is welcome

smile

#2 2010-07-20 23:15:15

karol
Archivist

Re: Issues with Ext3 and Ext4 file-systems??

I like to live dangerously - even when sitting comfortably at home - that's why I'll stick to ext three quarters.

#3 2010-07-20 23:37:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Issues with Ext3 and Ext4 file-systems??

Doing what Linus says is all fine and good. But you also have to keep in mind the limitations of JFS or XFS. A couple of things come to mind, although I am not sure if they are still applicable.

1) XFS and JFS cannot be shrunk after the partition is made, which means that you have to re-create them if you need to change partition sizes.
2) XFS is more suited to larger files and so partitions like /var in Arch would cause performance issues as compared to reiserfs

Ext3/Ext4 also have their own limitations, so it all boils down to what you want to use something for.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-07-20 23:38:03)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer