You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-09 08:39:35

athelas

[SOLVED] Network daemon takes ages to start

Hi.

I've got a question to my network. First of all a few informations: I am using a wireless internet connection with netcfg right now, which is working pretty fine and when I plug in a cable for a wired connection it works as well. But the network deamon takes about 60 sec to start everytime and then it tells me it failed and that although everything is working. Is it because it tries to enable always wired and wireless connection although there is only one available at a time? Is there something I could do to make it start faster? Here is my rc.conf (without most of the unimportant stuff):

LOCALE="de_DE.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Berlin"
KEYMAP="neo"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
# HARDWARE
MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
#MOD_BLACKLIST=() #deprecated
MODULES=()

# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
USELVM="no"

# NETWORKING
HOSTNAME="hostname"
eth0="dhcp"
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0 wlan0)

# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

NETWORK_PERSIST="no"

NETWORKS=(mynetwork)

# DAEMONS

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng fam network netfs net-profiles cups crond alsa hal slim)

Last edited by athelas (2010-08-09 14:45:33)

#2 2010-08-09 08:59:58

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Network daemon takes ages to start

'@network' will background it.

#3 2010-08-09 09:17:31

athelas

Yes, thanks, that makes it faster. I thought I can't do it, because netcfg needs it afterwards. But so I just don't see the problem. I mean isn't there something wrong that needs to be fixed?

#4 2010-08-09 09:22:36

karol
Archivist

athelas wrote:

Yes, thanks, that makes it faster. I thought I can't do it, because netcfg needs it afterwards. But so I just don't see the problem. I mean isn't there something wrong that needs to be fixed?

If you have both wired and wireless connected, does it still fail? Or does it fail only when you have just one of the interfaces available?
I have no idea how wireless works so I don't know whether you need to worry.

#5 2010-08-09 13:49:59

athelas

No unfortunately it still fails, if I have wired and wireless network connected. But because I don't get anymore information or an errormessage I don't know what's wrong. But when I start my computer without all the wlan stuff in the rc.conf and with a wired connection attached it says done and does not fail. At least I put network and net-profiles in the background so my computer starts a lot faster.

#6 2010-08-09 14:05:20

kcirick

Maybe you could try networkmanager instead of network daemon, I think it handles wired/wireless networks better

#7 2010-08-09 14:07:25

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

athelas wrote:

Why do you start network when you already are using netcfg ?

They both do the same thing.  Unless -- you do not use netcfg for all your connections. IMO, its always better to use one for all types of your connection.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-08-09 14:08:34)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2010-08-09 14:09:16

karol
Archivist

> Do you have net-profiles in your DAEMONS array?
Yes, he does / did. He posted his rc.conf.

#9 2010-08-09 14:09:42

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

What are you talking about? Are you high wink tongue

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2010-08-09 14:11:56

karol
Archivist

Inxsible wrote:
karol wrote:

What are you talking about? Are you high wink tongue

I'll use [quote ] next time ;P

#11 2010-08-09 14:36:16

athelas

OK, that's a good point, I don't start the network deamon anymore! I did this, because I followed the beginners guide in the first place and just a few days ago I started to use wlan. And in the wiki article about netcfg is written that I could remove the network deamon if there is nothing written in the Interfaces section of my rc.config. Anyways I got this wrong. So thanks a lot to all of you!

#12 2010-08-09 14:37:43

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

athelas wrote:

OK, that's a good point, I don't start the network deamon anymore! I did this, because I followed the beginners guide in the first place and just a few days ago I started to use wlan. And in the wiki article about netcfg is written that I could remove the network deamon if there is nothing written in the Interfaces section of my rc.config. Anyways I got this wrong. So thanks a lot to all of you!

Great. You can also background most of your daemons so that your boot is faster. btw, the rc.config you posted still has eth0 and wlan0 in your INTERFACES array, unless you removed them since.

Also, edit the first post and prefix the subject with [SOLVED], so that others with the same problem may find the solution quickly.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-08-09 14:38:55)

Forum Rules

#13 2010-08-09 14:44:30

athelas

Inxsible wrote:

Great. You can also background most of your daemons so that your boot is faster. btw, the rc.config you posted still has eth0 and wlan0 in your INTERFACES array, unless you removed them since.

No, I removed it since and I removed eth0="dhcp" and wlan0="dhcp", because that is in the profiles. Yes I am still experimenting with all that stuff but I didn't know which deamons can be backgrounded and which not.

#14 2010-08-09 14:47:49

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

athelas wrote:

No, I removed it since and I removed eth0="dhcp" and wlan0="dhcp", because that is in the profiles. Yes I am still experimenting with all that stuff but I didn't know which deamons can be backgrounded and which not.

This is off the actual thread topic, but I background everything except syslog-ng because I do want to see logs in case something goes wrong during boot. Also you have hal in your daemons which is deprecated. If you still  use apps that require hal, then by all means keep it in the array, but if you don't then that's something you can get rid off.

fam is another that can be replaced with gamin. gamin does not require to be run as a daemon. if you don't use printers then you can get rid of cups. if you don't have network storage or any reason to access drives across the network then you can remove netfs as well.

Just some things you can look into.

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-08-09 14:49:58)

Forum Rules

#15 2010-08-09 14:47:53

karol
Archivist

athelas wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Background them all and see if you can still boot ;P
Or take the opposite approach and try to background only those that take long to start.

#16 2010-08-10 08:35:18

athelas

karol wrote:

Background them all and see if you can still boot ;P

I guess I am too much of a pussy to do it that way wink And what's even worth, I not sure what to do in case it doesn't boot anymore.
However I checked everything Inxsible said and now it looks like this

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @net-profiles @cups @crond @alsa slim)

I guess you can imagine how much faster it is...

Thanks a lot!

Board footer