You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-31 14:33:08

Korrode

Intentional URL spoofing

Hi Arch forums,

I'm wondering if it's possible for me to do 'invisible' URL redirection on a system-wide level.

Examples:

I want it so that when anything on my system tries to access a URL that starts with:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/
it would actually be accessing:
ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ftp.kernel.org/pub/

I'm assuming that to achieve this i'd have to use HTTP+FTP proxy server software that supports such functionality and set proxy environment variables and per-application proxy settings (where required)... but is there some way I could achieve this at a more true system-wide level? (So that proxy settings wouldn't be needed and apps that don't support using HTTP/FTP proxies would still work) Like at a DNS server level? or local hosts file level? (My understanding is this is not the function of DNS/hosts, but i'm asking anyways in case there's something I don't know.)

xfce | compiz | gmrun | urxvt | chromium | geany | aqualung | vlc | geeqie

#2 2010-08-31 15:49:35

Sin.citadel

Re: Intentional URL spoofing

with squid, you can use a redirector program which does that.

http://squirm.foote.com.au/

#3 2010-08-31 22:59:22

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Intentional URL spoofing

Korrode wrote:

... but is there some way I could achieve this at a more true system-wide level? (So that proxy settings wouldn't be needed and apps that don't support using HTTP/FTP proxies would still work) Like at a DNS server level? or local hosts file level? (My understanding is this is not the function of DNS/hosts, but i'm asking anyways in case there's something I don't know.)

No. You will have to use a proxy -- you may be able to use a transparent (intercepting) configuration though so you don't have to configure each application to use it.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2010-08-31 22:59:49)

Board footer