You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-09 17:48:02

RedScare

Strange ping problem

I have a shell-script that creates a file in my home directory if I am online and deletes it when I go offline, and to do this it uses ping. The problem that I have run into is that, for some strange reason, on the wireless network in my school although I can access the internet through elinks and firefox, I cannot ping anything. Is this some sort of security feature?

#2 2010-09-10 00:47:41

Ari'osika

Re: Strange ping problem

AFAIK, It probably is. At my local college and at various hotspots around there, I have the same issue(s) and at others its the opposite! (I don't why but I can ping but I can't use the internet).

Maybe you'll have better luck asking the IT department at your school?

If you're reading this; you're awesome.

#3 2010-09-10 01:16:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You could try using wget instead (on some standard page like ip.tupeux.com) and grepping for the 'found' value. Ping is blocked for security reasons in some corporate/school networks.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-09-10 04:34:08

RedScare

Does anyone know how they do this? Are they blocking a special sort of packet? Just purely out of interest:)

#5 2010-09-10 04:44:52

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

RedScare wrote:

Does anyone know how they do this? Are they blocking a special sort of packet? Just purely out of interest:)

iptables -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j DROP

Or worse:

iptables -p icmp -j DROP

It's a stupid thing to do, usually implemented by people who don't actually know what they're doing.

Board footer