You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-05 10:00:19

zenlord
Website

Best configuration for RAID-setup?

After reading the post about what FS would be best for 5x500GB, it occurred to me that I have to migrate my RAID-setup soonish and that I would like to hear some more opinions before doing so.

At the moment, my server is running 64bit Arch for 1.5 years now, and it is composed of new parts (C2D 8400, 4GB RAM and 3x320GB HD) with an 'old' 6-port SATA RAID-controller (HP-rebranded Adaptec 2605-card) that I recuperated from our previous office-server. Since I had never worked with RAID before in my life, I was very happy that installing an FS on it and installing arch on that FS went without a hassle.

Now I have to grow the capacity, and although I have some spare ports (3 out of 6 are free), I fear that I'll have to rebuild the FS, since I didn't install LVM. Rebuilding the array might include a risk to lose my data, so I'm thinking of just starting over and doing it right this time:
1. Separate disk for the OS, not in a RAID-array
2. 3-disk RAID-5 array, with LVM
3. Partition the LVM in two slices (1 for work and 1 for 'play').

Are there any considerations I have to think of before doing this? I think Ext4 is the FS-of-choice for a server that will be doing mainly NFS (media), CUPS, and some HTTP/PostgreSQL...

#2 2010-10-05 10:38:47

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Best configuration for RAID-setup?

All sounds good to me... I'm not personally a fan of RAID-5 just due to personal preference, but with 3 disks it's your only option really.

Board footer