You are not logged in.

#26 2011-01-27 19:13:59

karol
Archivist

Re: Forums updated to FluxBB 1.4.3

hatten wrote:

if you go to "show all posts" you can see to the left of the posts if there is a gray/blue square

Nope.
If I go to New posts or Active topics - yeah. And I can click on the date in the last column titled 'Last post' (like 'Today 20:08:25 by SS4') and go to the new(est) post.

#27 2011-01-27 19:44:25

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

If I go to New posts or Active topics - yeah. And I can click on the date in the last column titled 'Last post' (like 'Today 20:08:25 by SS4') and go to the new(est) post.

Don't you mean Today 20:13:59 by karol..?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#28 2011-01-27 19:52:05

karol
Archivist

litemotiv wrote:
karol wrote:

Don't you mean Today 20:13:59 by karol..?

Sorry, my bad.

@ Inxsible
If you click on a subforum, you can find ''Mark this forum as read' on the bottom right - right next to all-new per-subforum subscribe option.
So you have 'Mark all topics as read' on top of the main forum page and 'Mark this forum as read' on the bottom of every subforum.

Last edited by karol (2011-01-27 19:52:43)

#29 2011-01-27 20:34:09

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

karol wrote:
hatten wrote:

if you go to "show all posts" you can see to the left of the posts if there is a gray/blue square

Nope.

Do you mean that you cannot see it, or that it doesn't work that way?
Cause I can most definitely see squares in profile>show all posts, and I have no other theory on why some of them go blue.

#30 2011-01-27 22:07:28

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

karol wrote:

@ Inxsible
If you click on a subforum, you can find ''Mark this forum as read' on the bottom right - right next to all-new per-subforum subscribe option.
So you have 'Mark all topics as read' on top of the main forum page and 'Mark this forum as read' on the bottom of every subforum.

But we have neither in the list that is generated once you click "New Posts"

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#31 2011-01-27 22:12:44

karol
Archivist

Inxsible wrote:
karol wrote:

@ Inxsible

But we have neither in the list that is generated once you click "New Posts"

Yeah, None in the Active topics too.
I used it *a lot*.

#32 2011-01-27 23:12:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ah, no more 'mark as read' under 'new posts'. Oh well, will just get used to it. Its just an addiitonal 2-3 keystrokes on vimperator anyway.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#33 2011-01-27 23:13:38

karol
Archivist

ngoonee wrote:

Ah, no more 'mark as read' under 'new posts'. Oh well, will just get used to it. Its just an addiitonal 2-3 keystrokes on vimperator anyway.

I'm curious and lazy: how do you do it?

#34 2011-01-27 23:26:30

lie2815
Website

Hey,

as a FluxBB developer, it's - well - nice to see that much feedback after a minor release. wink
I must say I'm a little surprised, as we got little to no complaints when I asked for feedback regarding the changes to the quick search links. But then, we've got much more power users over here!

We will consider all comments and suggestions from this thread, as we are still wondering (please comment!) where to put the mark as read link and how to make it behave. I'm almost certain that we'll add it back to the "new posts" quick search page. You're more than welcomed and invited to join the discussion at our place!
We might, just might also see a small turnaround on some of the latest changes, but I cannot say that for sure just now.

Until a decision is reached, I suggest you simply create bookmarks in your browser for your favorite links (hey, that's what they're meant for!) - which might even be more handy than a link in the deepest footer.

However this will turn out, though, I'd like to remind you that usability is always a difficult thing. While I am personally very pleased with the way things are now organized and more people might (and do) think so, it's always hard to find the way that (hopefully) suits most people well.
Same goes for making links like "mark all topics as read" work in a flexible and yet intuitive way (also for quick searches, e.g. only searching in the current forum etc.), that doesn't cause unexpected behaviour.

Last edited by lie2815 (2011-01-27 23:27:50)

Doing my best to break your forum.
FluxBB - twitter

#35 2011-01-27 23:33:44

tomk
Forum Fellow

Ticket #260 posted in FluxBB tracker requesting the return of "Show your posts".

I find this version almost unusable, so don't expect too much adminning until I get used to it. smile

#36 2011-01-27 23:40:12

karol
Archivist

tomk wrote:

Ticket #260 posted in FluxBB tracker requesting the return of "Show your posts".

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 72#p884272 :-)
Doesn't 'Show all subscriptions' do what you want?

#37 2011-01-27 23:45:55

lie2815
Website

tomk wrote:

You mean the return to the footer? You do know it can now be found in your profile, right? Until then, use a bookmark, please.

tomk wrote:

I find this version almost unusable, so don't expect too much adminning until I get used to it. smile

Whew, almost unusable? What exactly?

FluxBB - twitter

#38 2011-01-28 00:44:47

tavianator
Website

"Show all posts" seems to sort them the order you posted them, rather than putting the threads with the newest posts at the top.  The way I used to use the forums here was to go Profile -> Show all posts, see if any were blue, and reply if necessary.   Now, how am I supposed to know if someone replies to the first post I ever made?  Won't it be on the last page of my list of posts?

Currently there aren't any new posts on threads I've posted on, so I can't tell if they would bubble up to the top of the list.  If they do, then I guess the interface is still usable.  But if I've made 25 posts in one thread, that'll take up the whole page, and it would be difficult to find other threads I've also gotten replies in.

#39 2011-01-28 00:53:24

karol
Archivist

tavianator wrote:

"Show all posts" seems to sort them the order you posted them, rather than putting the threads with the newest posts at the top.  The way I used to use the forums here was to go Profile -> Show all posts, see if any were blue, and reply if necessary.   Now, how am I supposed to know if someone replies to the first post I ever made?  Won't it be on the last page of my list of posts?

Currently there aren't any new posts on threads I've posted on, so I can't tell if they would bubble up to the top of the list.  If they do, then I guess the interface is still usable.  But if I've made 25 posts in one thread, that'll take up the whole page, and it would be difficult to find other threads I've also gotten replies in.

If you are subscribed to those threads you can use 'Show all subscriptions' to do what you want: the threads with the latest posts are at the top.

#40 2011-01-28 01:00:42

Gusar

karol wrote:

If you are subscribed to those threads you can use 'Show all subscriptions' to do what you want: the threads with the latest posts are at the top.

No subscription was needed before.

#41 2011-01-28 01:12:51

karol
Archivist

Gusar wrote:
karol wrote:

No subscription was needed before.

I know, but the current setup is much more sensible: you've got your _posts_ (not the threads you posted to, as it was before), the topics you started and the ones you're subscribed to.

Searching for the author with the default search settings gives you threads with the latest posts are at the top, w/o subscriptions.
Is that what you want?

#42 2011-01-28 01:45:56

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

karol wrote:

Doesn't 'Show all subscriptions' do what you want?

No.

The previous "show your posts" link actually showed all threads that you've posted in, sorted in descending order of the last post in the thread. It is similar to "show all subscriptions", but it is not the same.

It was useful for following up previous posts from your last visit. Most threads are not persistent, e.g. help requests from new users are usually quickly solved. I do not want to subscribe to such threads because they just clutter up my inbox's subscription directory. As it was, I could limit subscriptions to threads that I want to follow closely.

@lie2815
First, thank you for your work on FluxBB. I know how frustrating it can be when you put work into something only to get negative feedback,. Despite the criticism of this update, I want to say that I think FluxBB is great and I appreciate your efforts.

I would really appreciate it if you could re-add a link with the same functionality as the previous "show your posts" link. Perhaps you could name it "show all replies", or "show all posts as threads".
Removing that functionality is like gouging out one of my eyes. It makes it much more difficult to find what I want to, and the forum is indeed much less usable for me because of it.

I also found the extra links on the index page useful, but that is far less of an issue for me.

I hope that you don't mind my replying here. I don't have much more to say about this so I would prefer to avoid signing up elsewhere just to reiterate the above.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#43 2011-01-28 03:12:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

@lie2815
First, thank you for your work on FluxBB. I know how frustrating it can be when you put work into something only to get negative feedback,. Despite the criticism of this update, I want to say that I think FluxBB is great and I appreciate your efforts.

This.

Criticism is always easier to come by, especially when things change. As you mentioned, usability is very very subjective. Thanks for the software though, the forums are a pleasure to use partly because of your work.

@karol, after I go through all posts I just go back to 'show new posts' (o -> bbs -> Enter), then I'd normally 'mark as read' (f -> mark -> Enter) there. Now all I have to do is (f -> ind -> Enter -> f -> mark > Enter) to go back to the index and mark.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#44 2011-01-28 06:38:51

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

karol wrote:

Searching for the author with the default search settings gives you threads with the latest posts are at the top, w/o subscriptions.
Is that what you want?

Yup, bookmarked it right away. Thanks smile

#45 2011-01-28 06:48:31

karol
Archivist

hatten wrote:
karol wrote:

Is that what you want?

Yup, bookmarked it right away. Thanks smile

I'm not sure, but IIRC searches are expiring so you can't actually bookmark the search results as you'll get "Your search returned zero hits" or some similar pseudo-404.

#46 2011-01-28 08:57:09

SanskritFritz
Website

karol wrote:

I'm not sure, but IIRC searches are expiring so you can't actually bookmark the search results as you'll get "Your search returned zero hits" or some similar pseudo-404.

You are right. Maybe a workaround: bookmarking the profile page, there is a link to all posts.

/me is also missing that particular link veeeery much.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2011-01-28 08:58:04)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#47 2011-01-28 09:21:35

lie2815
Website

Xyne wrote:

@lie2815

I would really appreciate it if you could re-add a link with the same functionality as the previous "show your posts" link. Perhaps you could name it "show all replies", or "show all posts as threads".
Removing that functionality is like gouging out one of my eyes. It makes it much more difficult to find what I want to, and the forum is indeed much less usable for me because of it.

I also found the extra links on the index page useful, but that is far less of an issue for me.

I hope that you don't mind my replying here. I don't have much more to say about this so I would prefer to avoid signing up elsewhere just to reiterate the above.

Ah, yes. I must admit now that I did make a mistake.

When I made these changes, I put quite some thought into them. But what I didn't think of is big boards like that. I thought that the "active topics" or "new posts" links would work just fine for keeping up with the latest activity in the forum. I read every post in the FluxBB forum, but I now realize this is simply not possible in forums like that, and thus the use of these quick searches is very limited. That is really when the old way of showing "your posts" would come in handy.

So I propose for the next version, which will be relased very soon anyway, to add one more link to the header bar, titled "New replies", which works just like "new posts" worked before.

----

This definitely means, though, that we need a new place for the "mark as read" link. Especially on boards with less horizontal space, there's just not enough space. And I want to get rid of the clutter. So I'd like some feedback from you guys in regards to where (and on which pages exactly) this should and could be placed.

karol wrote:

I'm not sure, but IIRC searches are expiring so you can't actually bookmark the search results as you'll get "Your search returned zero hits" or some similar pseudo-404

You are right, queries are cached for performance reasons. For quick searches like these you can bookmark the actual link to the page (e.g. on this board it is https://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php?action=show_recent for active topics), not the URL you see when viewing the page. Else you would just see the same results and the search would not update for you.
I will try to add permalinks to the breadcrumbs on these quick search pages to improve this situation, too.

FluxBB - twitter

#48 2011-01-28 09:26:21

SanskritFritz
Website

lie2815 Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, you are a true hero!
smile

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#49 2011-01-28 09:28:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Thanks for responding so positively to the needs of the community - it is very much appreciated.

lie2815 wrote:

This definitely means, though, that we need a new place for the "mark as read" link. Especially on boards with less horizontal space, there's just not enough space. And I want to get rid of the clutter. So I'd like some feedback from you guys in regards to where (and on which pages exactly) this should and could be placed.

I don't really mind where on the page it appears (somewhere above the fold would be great) - as long as it is on the "new posts" page. That way, after scanning (and reading a selection of) all of the new posts, it is possible to clear them by marking them all as read.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#50 2011-01-28 09:29:14

lie2815
Website

SanskritFritz wrote:

lie2815 Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, you are a true hero!
smile

Well, thanks.

I wrote:

So I'd like some feedback from you guys in regards to where (and on which pages exactly) this should and could be placed.

I suggest you make yourself a hero now. smile

FluxBB - twitter

Board footer