You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-11 02:09:13

Dj_kourampies
Website

[Solved] Multiple Network Interfaces (With Internet Access)

I connect my laptop through a wired Gigabit ethernet cable on my network, but I also access some of my neighborhoods WLANs with my wlan interface. Both interfaces have Internet access and DCHP servers.

I want to access the internet (download with jDownloader to be specific) through the WLAN, but still maintain the wired connection so I can access my network shares through my wired network.

I use wicd for managing my network connections. I dont want to lose wicd for wireless connections since its really helpful, I dont mind creating a static profile for my wired connection though.

Any ideas on how to easily do this?

Last edited by Dj_kourampies (2011-03-19 23:42:00)

#2 2011-03-11 05:07:09

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: [Solved] Multiple Network Interfaces (With Internet Access)

I'm not familiar with wicd, but you'll need to connect to your networks, then make sure your default route is set to the gateway of the WLAN you want to route via.

This of course assumes that none of the IP Address space in your multiple networks overlap with each other....

#3 2011-03-11 17:18:27

Dj_kourampies
Website

Ok, thanks for pointing up the obvious that I didnt notice about IP overlapping, I ll start by changing my wired network to some non standard local IPS, and then give a look to the wicd documentation.

#4 2011-03-19 14:40:50

Dj_kourampies
Website

I didnt have much time to work on this, I fixed the overlapping (changed my wired network adresses), but cant figure out how to set the gateways, since the wireless network has WPA2 encryption, and I cant configure it through rc.conf. Any suggestions?

edit: Your reply to this similar topic seems the most sensible solution, I ll try it out tonight.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 91#p881591

Last edited by Dj_kourampies (2011-03-19 14:45:15)

#5 2011-03-19 23:44:13

Dj_kourampies
Website

Ok, I finally solved it:

Here is what I did:

1) Changed my local wired subnet to something more exotic, in my case, 192.168.182.x
2) On Wicd preferences, left the wired interface textbox blank, so it could not manage my wired connection.
3) Configured a static IP on rc.conf for my wired interface, and disabled the wired gateway
4) Tested to see if internet access was disabled while LAN functioning properly
5) Configured Wicd to auto connect on the wireless network

Board footer