You are not logged in.

#1001 2011-03-14 10:38:19

Queseuq

Re: Bauerbill: Powerpill + ABS, AUR, CPAN and Hackage support + more

ngoonee wrote:

Thanks Xyne. Also, I don't think running bauerbill as root (or through sudo) is really advisable, Queseuq.

As far as I know I have to, if I want to install any packages.

#1002 2011-03-14 11:19:44

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Queseuq wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Thanks Xyne. Also, I don't think running bauerbill as root (or through sudo) is really advisable, Queseuq.

As far as I know I have to, if I want to install any packages.

bauerbill calls sudo (which is different). It tries to do as much as possible without root permissions. I think that's mentioned in the man page (or in Xyne's website).

In any case, if you have sudo installed and configured properly, you should never need to run 'sudo bauerbill' or log in as root to run bauerbill.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1003 2011-03-14 17:35:27

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

ngoonee wrote:

In any case, if you have sudo installed and configured properly, you should never need to run 'sudo bauerbill' or log in as root to run bauerbill.

Huh?

You need sudo or root to download directly to the package cache (unless you've given the current user write permissions to /var/cache/pacman/pkg). Running bauerbill as root is relatively safe though because it drops permissions when doing most things. In particular, it never builds as root.

Please do some research before offering your advice in this thread. Your earlier post about the location of the configuration file was clearly wrong, and your last post is  debatably misleading. I appreciate your willingness to contribute but I don't think this is helping.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#1004 2011-03-15 00:32:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Huh?

You need sudo or root to download directly to the package cache (unless you've given the current user write permissions to /var/cache/pacman/pkg). Running bauerbill as root is relatively safe though because it drops permissions when doing most things. In particular, it never builds as root.

Please do some research before offering your advice in this thread. Your earlier post about the location of the configuration file was clearly wrong, and your last post is  debatably misleading. I appreciate your willingness to contribute but I don't think this is helping.

Apologies, Xyne. I recall previous advise stating that bauerbill would ask for the sudo password when it needs it. Now that I think about it, my /var/cache/pacman/pkg IS owned by the current user, though....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1005 2011-03-15 08:26:14

mhertz

About a year ago litemotiv asked for such functionality, i.e. "auto-sudo'ing", but Xyne didn't wanted to implement such "hand-holding", and also as pacman didn't do it either...

bauerbill drops priviliges but dosen't gains them(sudo/su).. smile

#1006 2011-03-15 08:32:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

mhertz wrote:

About a year ago litemotiv asked for such functionality, i.e. "auto-sudo'ing", but Xyne didn't wanted to implement such "hand-holding", and also as pacman didn't do it either...

bauerbill drops priviliges but dosen't gains them(sudo/su).. smile

That sounds more familiar then. That must have been why I changed permissions on my cache.

#1007 2011-03-16 23:01:34

jdarnold
Website

Pacman has been updated, but bauerbill hasn't, so there's some breakage:

$ bauerbill -S pacman
--> resolving bash... installed
--> resolving libarchive>=2.8.0... installed
--> resolving libfetch>=2.28... installed
--> resolving pacman-mirrorlist... installed
--> Switching to pacman: '/usr/bin/pacman' '--config' '/etc/pacman.conf' '-S' 'pacman'
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: package-query: requires pacman<3.5
:: perl-xyne-arch: requires pacman<3.5

#1008 2011-03-17 18:00:08

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I will update it as soon as I have time, but I suspect that it's going to be a pain with all the changes and I'm really busy right now, so it may take a while.

#1009 2011-03-17 18:50:18

jdarnold
Website

Is there a workaround? Ignore the pacman from -testing, maybe?

#1010 2011-03-17 19:35:28

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

That would work.

I'll try to release an update for testing soon.

#1011 2011-03-17 21:59:43

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I've been looking at the code and I see no clean solutions. The perl-xyne-arch codebase is ugly as is (entirely my fault... I would do most of it very differently now), and the need to use tar to access the database files will make it even kludgier. I have 3 options:

* use Perl's Archive::Tar module... but that is slow as fsck.
* use bsdtar/tar... again, slow.
* extract the database files as they were before... ugh

I am considering dropping support for the entire perl-xyne-arch suite of packages. I just don't have the time right now to hack through that ugly codebase, and given that I have a very slowly developing replacement in the works, rewriting that much code just to bin it later feels completely pointless.

I really wish I had more time.

#1012 2011-03-17 22:09:59

karol
Archivist

Xyne wrote:

I feel your pain. I hardly have time for sleep since Starcraft2 came out - I just play all daaay looong ;-)

Xyne wrote:

I am considering dropping support for the entire perl-xyne-arch suite of packages.

So we would have to switch from bauerbill to e.g. clyde?

#1013 2011-03-18 00:37:56

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Xyne wrote:

* use Perl's Archive::Tar module... but that is slow as fsck.
* use bsdtar/tar... again, slow.
* extract the database files as they were before... ugh

My thoughts on a cheap hacky solution.  Usually when you are walking the sync DB, you want to hit the entire thing.  So write a preprocessor to chop the output of

tar -xaf core.db.tar.gz -Ov 2>&1 | less

into "pages" that can be tossed into the normal parser.  Fields looks pretty different from file names, so it should be reliable.  Just one fork and should be plenty fast.  My slow netbook takes 0.3 seconds to walk everything, which is 10x better than pacman 3.4's performance.

#1014 2011-03-18 02:11:29

skottish
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

I am grateful for your tireless efforts and great software that you have designed and provided for free to us. pbget has been the only terminal tool that I've used to grab PKGBUILDs and supporting files since you've released it. I used powerpill extensively under certain networking situations in the past. And, I've used bauerbill mostly for checking on out of date stuff in AUR, but I've learned to trust you and Arch-Haskell enough to allow some processes to run on their own. I'll check out your new stuff as it arrives...

Thanks Xyne.

#1015 2011-03-18 04:04:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

skottish wrote:
Xyne wrote:

I am grateful for your tireless efforts and great software that you have designed and provided for free to us. pbget has been the only terminal tool that I've used to grab PKGBUILDs and supporting files since you've released it. I used powerpill extensively under certain networking situations in the past. And, I've used bauerbill mostly for checking on out of date stuff in AUR, but I've learned to trust you and Arch-Haskell enough to allow some processes to run on their own. I'll check out your new stuff as it arrives...

Thanks Xyne.

I echo the sentiment, bauerbill, pbget, aurploader, all tools that significantly simplify maintenance of my box. Not to mention mimeo smile

#1016 2011-03-18 18:16:01

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

What if we just give life a good beating so that Xyne is free to build more cool stuff?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#1017 2011-03-19 00:45:56

skottish
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:

What if we just give life a good beating so that Xyne is free to build more cool stuff?

Agreed.

Xyne, as you can see from your real friends here, having a life is getting in the way of your coolness. Tune in, turn on, drop out.

Last edited by skottish (2011-03-19 00:46:20)

#1018 2011-03-19 08:53:12

SanskritFritz
Website

skottish wrote:

Xyne, as you can see from your real friends here, having a life is getting in the way of your coolness. Tune in, turn on, drop out.

That was worth a new sig smile

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#1019 2011-03-19 20:19:07

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

ngoonee wrote:
skottish wrote:
Xyne wrote:

Thanks Xyne.

I echo the sentiment, bauerbill, pbget, aurploader, all tools that significantly simplify maintenance of my box. Not to mention mimeo smile

Copycats. tongue
Xyne completes my Arch experience.

#1020 2011-03-22 10:54:13

korpenkraxar

Noooes! Is one of the brightest stars in the Arch constellation falling out?

Too bad, but thanks for everything you have given us! I have really appreciated your efforts and adored your software :-)

#1021 2011-03-22 11:16:05

mhertz

@Xyne

I'm guessing you probably won't, but just in case, as i'm insanelly curious, then could you maybe open up just a little bit about what the "smart new thing(s)" will be about, in your slowly progressing bauerbill alternative? wink

...And of course I echo the previous sentiments about the thankfullness the whole arch community ows you!

#1022 2011-03-22 17:39:04

flan_suse

Xyne wrote:

The next time it occurs, pastebin the output and post it here. Circumstantial bugs such as these are difficult to reproduce so I would rather just wait until it comes up again.

This is a follow up to an earlier issue. I believe I have discovered how to reproduce this every time, and I don't think it's the fault of bauerbill.

When running a system update or installing a package using bauerbill, even from the AUR, it will skip the installation part (where it hands it off to pacman) if I press a key while it is running. Here is an example of what I mean:

1) bauerbill -S pkgfromaur
2) It begins to download the sources and build the package
3) If I hit the "c" key by mistake while it's downloading or compiling, the next part happens

4) Package is built normally
5) Program exits without installing the finished package

I happened to stumble upon this by accident when I meant to type "cat /proc/cpuinfo" in another terminal. Right when I hit the "c" key, I realized I was in bauerbill's terminal, but nothing was interrupted, so I left it alone. Then I noticed it had finished building the package, but it never installed it. After that point, I did the same thing (on purpose) 3 more times, and every time it would not install the package. Then I tried one more time (without pressing any key) and it installed the package like normal.

So I think I figured out why this might have happened a few times in the past (not installing packages).

Here is a pastebin, just for reference: http://pastebin.com/kH6Riscv

You'll notice at line 41 I pressed the "c" key. At line 63 I hit "Enter" when prompted to install. No package was ever installed. When I ran the same command again, and did not press any keys by "mistake", it installed the built package.

The "mystery" might have been solved?

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-03-22 17:45:05)

#1023 2011-03-25 08:43:11

flamelab

I'm sure I may be asking something ... stupid: where is bauerbill ? tongue Not in xyne-any, not in AUR sad

#1024 2011-03-25 08:45:13

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

flamelab wrote:

I'm sure I may be asking something ... stupid: where is bauerbill ? tongue Not in xyne-any, not in AUR sad

Perhaps you didn't see the obit: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115660

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#1025 2011-03-25 08:57:50

SanskritFritz
Website

I can't even talk about this without sobbing...

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

Board footer