You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-27 15:07:27

pogeymanz

Tinfoil hat question about OpenDNS vs. GoogleDNS vs. My ISP's DNS

Let's say I have this friend who is moderately paranoid. He uses Firefox as his web browser, with NoScript, Adblock (with privacy filters), disabled flash local storage (includes flash cookies), and deletes cookies when the browser closes.

He wont use Google Chrome (though, would find Chromium slightly more acceptable). He uses Scroogle to search the web so that Google doesn't collect his data. Stuff like that.

So, which should a tinfoil hat guy be more paranoid of: OpenDNS, GoogleDNS or one's ISP for DNS servers? I'm guessing that the ISP is probably less "safe" as it is more directly tied to the customer of the service.

Does anybody do this besides me- I mean, my friend?

#2 2011-03-27 15:26:23

theringmaster
Website

Re: Tinfoil hat question about OpenDNS vs. GoogleDNS vs. My ISP's DNS

I would use opendns if I were him. I've been using them for years with no problems or downtime.

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#3 2011-03-27 15:27:04

PIMPinator

Firefox has a private browsing mode which doesn't store search history, browsing history, cookies etc. built in.

Why not just use TOR for your browsing if you're- I mean your friend is that paranoid? In fact, why the need to BE so paranoid? What is being done that needs to be hidden?

Last edited by PIMPinator (2011-03-27 15:38:57)

#4 2011-03-27 16:24:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

PIMPinator wrote:

What is being done that needs to be hidden?

If he told you he'd have to kill you afterwards smile. It may (or may not) be in violation of forum rules as well.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-03-27 16:56:58

rickdg

I'd go for either OpenDNS or my own ISP's DNS depending on the quality of the latter. I have no problem using my ISP's DNS servers, but it's is well known for its decent privacy protection and is an outspoken defender of open internet here in the Netherlands. Then again, if you live in a place with heavy monitoring/censoring, you might want to avoid your ISP's DNS altogether.

My second choice would be OpenDNS, because they have fewer interest in monitoring/censoring your traffic than Google does. They don't have their own advertising network I've never heard of them censoring anything. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Slightly off-topic: The question is not why you want to hide, but why they need to see

Last edited by rickdg (2011-03-27 16:58:26)

#6 2011-03-27 17:01:14

bangkok_manouel

i'd use unbound with DNSSEC

#7 2011-03-27 18:04:25

pogeymanz

rickdg wrote:

Slightly off-topic: The question is not why you want to hide, but why they need to see

This is exactly the reason. I never asked to be stalked, so why should they get to?

Paranoia is only a small part of it. Some day in the near future, I fear that if I google the word "bomb" too many times I may have the FBI show up at my door.

It sounds like OpenDNS for me from now on.

#8 2011-03-27 19:01:01

kaarek

>He wont use Google Chrome

let your friend write about:config in firefucks

then search for : browser.safebrowsing  and   geo.enabled
oops looks like "evil" g00gle owns firefucks too  tongue

#9 2011-03-27 19:15:44

pogeymanz

kaarek wrote:

>He wont use Google Chrome

let your friend write about:config in firefucks

then search for : browser.safebrowsing  and   geo.enabled
oops looks like "evil" g00gle owns firefucks too  tongue

My friend disabled that junk a long time ago. At least it CAN be disabled...

#10 2011-03-27 19:17:58

milomouse
Website

Most builds disable that by default, though I don't know what repo builds with.  I'd build without them if I absolutely had to use firefox, though, sans the sarcasm.  Also remove flashplayer if using 64bit, maybe use mplayer instead.  Firefox has an extension for that if I'm not mistaken (to use an external player for flash).  Here's an older list of security stuff I used for firefox (though I don't use it anymore due to many reasons) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … 0b-7d6a37/  I'd use requestpolicy if nothing else. Anyway, sorry for the static, just had to reply if only due to earlier comment.  Topic has me curious about `unbound' though, thanks bangkok_manouel.

Last edited by milomouse (2011-03-27 19:19:23)

#11 2011-03-27 22:56:52

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

pogeymanz wrote:

Let's say I have this friend who is moderately paranoid.

Yes, a friend........... tongue

pogeymanz wrote:

So, which should a tinfoil hat guy be more paranoid of: OpenDNS, GoogleDNS or one's ISP for DNS servers? I'm guessing that the ISP is probably less "safe" as it is more directly tied to the customer of the service.

I'd call the ISP as probably the most "private", depending on who the ISP is. OpenDNS redirect invalid queries to their servers to perform a search -- cute, useful or mildly annoying in your web browser depending on your view, but it's a ****ing right royal pain the arse when you're trying to debug something at the command line, or any other application that isn't a web browser.

If your friend is really that paranoid, he should run his own DNS that goes direct to the root and saves no logs etc.

EDIT: Spelling fail.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2011-03-27 22:57:22)

#12 2011-03-27 23:23:44

jaco

Agree with fukawi2 : I would use my ISP's DNS and surely not OpenDNS... Read this : http://www.bortzmeyer.org/opendns-non-merci.html (it's in french, sorry, but there are links to slashdot threads...)

Last edited by jaco (2011-03-27 23:28:06)

Board footer