You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-14 16:39:21

kandrews

Lost network connection after update

I waited a little long to update (~4 months) and am paying the price.  The recent update broke X as well as my network connection (and who knows what else!).  When I type ls /sys/class/net/, all I get is lo@.  I'm a little rusty with Arch as I was really really busy with school.  Do you have any suggestions for fixing this?  Here is my rc.conf if it helps:

LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"
DAEMON_LOCALE="NO"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="US/EASTERN"
KEYMAP="us"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"
VERBOSE="3"

MODULES=()
UDEV_TIMEOUT=30
USEDMRAID="NO"
USEBTRFS="NO"
USELVM="NO"

hostname="srv"

interface=
address=
netmask=
gateway=

NETWORK_PERSIST="no"
DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng network netfs crond gpm bitlbee dbus sshd)

Anything else I should post?  Thanks for your help!

#2 2011-06-14 16:40:48

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Lost network connection after update

yeah the rc.conf structure has changed. It seems that you already merged the rc.conf with rc.conf.pacnew, but you forgot to add the NETWORKS array.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-14 17:18:19

kandrews

Hi Inxsible!  I have the NETWORKS array, but it was commented out as it was in the wiki.  Since this is a desktop computer, I didn't worry about setting up netcfg.  I uncommented it and rebooted , but that didn't make any difference.

#4 2011-06-14 17:23:45

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ok in that case simply change this line

interface=

to

interface=eth0

provided your connection name is eth0. Add an address gateway or mask if you want to and you should have your internet going. You can comment the NETWORK array again since you are not using an external app to handle your network connections.

net-tools was deprecated which resulted in this change. Here's the announcement http://www.archlinux.org/news/deprecation-of-net-tools/

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-06-14 17:31:46

kandrews

My biggest problem is that when I put:

interface=eth0

It tells me that eth0 doesn't exist, as was confirmed with the 'ls /sys/class/net/' command recommended in the comments of /etc/rc.conf.

/var/log/everything.log has (pertaining to networking):

dhcpcd[535]: eth0: interface not found or invalid
modprobe: FATAL: Could not read '/lib/modules/2.6.39-ARCH/kernel/net/ipv6/ipv6.ko': No such file or directory

Also, when I shutdown:

:: Stopping Network
RTNETLINK answers: No such process

Typing /etc/rc.d/network restart gives:

:: Stopping Network
RTNETLINK answers: No such process

:: Starting Network
Cannot find device "eth0"

Also, /etc/network.d/interfaces is empty.

Last edited by kandrews (2011-06-14 17:42:37)

#6 2011-06-14 22:16:40

Leonid.I

Sooo, you have a driver problem smile Then, we need to start from the beginning: output of lspci, dmesg.log and error.log would be nice. Do you want wireless or wired network?

/etc/network.d/interfaces is for netcfg's additional interface configs only. It is your responsibility to populate this dir...

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#7 2011-06-16 00:43:07

kandrews

Unfortunately, I cannot paste in these directories because it appears that usb is completely shot as well and I don't have a floppy drive (nor a floppy for that matter).  At least, I believe so because I stuck in a stick and ran:

dmesg | tail

and didn't see anything about a usb being registered by the system.

Neither ifconfig or ip are installed.  So that is also a considerable issue.  Is all hope lost other than getting a live CD of ubuntu, spending a day copying files off of the hard drive and reinstalling?

#8 2011-06-16 15:01:38

Leonid.I

This does not make sense. How can you have initscripts w/o iproute2 (which includes /usr/sbin/ip)? And how can you not have ifconfig, which was a dep for the previous version of initscripts (the one which you updated from)... have you manually removed net-tools?

If usb is busted too, then you probably have either a hardware or udev problem (or a very special system, which is completely broken with 2.6.39)...

Since there is no way for us to know how bad the situation is, you are the only one who can decide whether a reinstall is necessary..

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#9 2011-06-16 15:27:32

ewaller
Administrator

Just a hunch. 
Does the kernel referenced in the output of uname -a have a corresponding directory in /lib/modules ??
I am wondering if the kernel on the boot partition somehow did not get upgraded when we moved up to 2.6.2939

edit: More coffee for me

Last edited by ewaller (2011-06-16 15:28:59)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2011-06-23 01:22:38

HoZ

Actually I just had a similar experience, only it seems to be intermittent.  I am using the new rc.conf structure as follows for DHCP:

interface=eth1
address=
netmask=
gateway=

During shutdown I get the same  RTNETLINK messages as described by kandrews.  During startup I get :

RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address

Furthermore, ifconfig only shows loopback device.  eth0 and eth1 do not exist. 

This behavior persisted through several reboots.  Finally, around the forth or fifth reboot, eth1 is back and working,  but eth0 is still missing.  Since I don’t use eth0, that really does not bother me, but it is still peculiar. 

I just checked, and the kernel referenced in the output of uname -a (2.6.39-ARCH) does indeed have a corresponding directory in /lib/modules. 

lspci has both NICs listed.

#11 2011-06-23 16:26:54

kandrews

I was on vacation for a week, but now I'm back.

kandrews wrote:

Unfortunately, I cannot paste in these directories because it appears that usb is completely shot as well and I don't have a floppy drive (nor a floppy for that matter).  At least, I believe so because I stuck in a stick and ran:

dmesg | tail

and didn't see anything about a usb being registered by the system.

Neither ifconfig or ip are installed.  So that is also a considerable issue.  Is all hope lost other than getting a live CD of ubuntu, spending a day copying files off of the hard drive and reinstalling?

Sorry, I must have been really tired when I typed this.  Both programs (ifconfig, and ip) are in /sbin/.  I'm betting I tried 'sudo su' and they weren't on the path and being out of it, I assumed the wrong thing.  I'm going to try and mount a usb again to see if I messed that up as well...

I still don't have an eth1 or eth0.  But maybe all hope is not lost.

Update:

No device nodes are created in /dev/ for usb drives, and my computer won't even power them unless I do it at boot.  I also noticed that my keyboard doesn't work at all during grub.

ewaller wrote:

Does the kernel referenced in the output of uname -a have a corresponding directory in /lib/modules ??
I am wondering if the kernel on the boot partition somehow did not get upgraded when we moved up to 2.6.2939

Yeah it does.  So no luck there.

Last edited by kandrews (2011-06-24 16:44:41)

#12 2011-06-25 00:46:34

HoZ

Well it seems my problem was udev related.  eth0 and eth1 were not consistently the same devices during boot. 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud … _Each_Boot

I don't know if this is relevant to the original poster's issue, but thought I would relate my experience just in case.

Board footer