You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-14 13:57:47

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

[Solved] Bluetooth service restart required after (re)boot

I got a new laptop yesterday and set up my bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. Strangely enough both devices do not get any connection whatsoever, unless I restart the bluetooth service through rc.local (which, annoyingly enough, will also get me a QWERTY layout instead of AZERTY in the login manager, but that's less of a problem).

I was wondering if there's a fix for this? Google isn't really helping... Since I had this issue with my previous laptop as well, it looks likes something more systematic. Bluetooth configuration was done from scratch (and through blueman, for what it's worth). Since a restart of the bluetooth service gets both devices connected, I'd guess the configuration an sich is correct (once it's up, it stays up).

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-07-15 16:34:38)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#2 2011-07-14 14:30:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Bluetooth service restart required after (re)boot

I do not use bluetooth, but according to this thread,

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=120715

zenlord wrote:

/etc/bluetooth/main.conf: InitiallyPowered = false

Maybe setting that to true will start up your bluetooth at all times.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-07-14 17:29:33

Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks. Turns out it's already set to "true" by default though :-/

It seems the connection 'survives' between reboots but a cold boot means I need to restart the bluetooth service before the devices can connect.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2011-07-14 18:10:25

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

and obviously you already have the bluetooth daemon in the DAEMONS array ....

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-07-14 19:29:15

Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah wink.

I can only really test whether changing those InitallyPowered values works on cold boots, so I'll report back tomorrow.

#6 2011-07-14 19:33:17

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

That's all I got. Sorry couldn't be of more help Stijn.

Forum Rules

#7 2011-07-14 21:53:12

Forum Fellow
Website

No problems, you've been really helpful (I hadn't thought about the config files in /etc/bluetooth at first).

#8 2011-07-15 01:42:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

What's the order like in your DAEMONS array? Maybe something else is needed before bluetooth starts up. You could put it right at the end and see if it helps (mine is almost the last one).

Alternatively, perhaps your hardware simply takes a bit longer to initialize? Behaving differently on reboots and cold boots indicate more of a hardware issue (to me).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2011-07-15 14:33:38

Forum Fellow
Website

This is how my rc.conf looks:

$ grep ^DAEMONS /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng @net-profiles @crond @hal @openntpd @cpufreq @bluetooth @acpid @alsa @cupsd)

Maybe the backgrounding isn't such a brilliant idea (I don't know). I doubt the hardware needs more time, it usually does take a few seconds to connect devices, but I can keep jamming on my keyboard or torturing my mouse for half a minute in the login screen, and no response whatsoever.

Edit: I checked the wiki, apparently bluetooth should be started after dbus, so I'm de-backgrounding the hal service to see what that is going to do (and taking out hwclock while I'm at it, since rc.conf tells me that kind of conflicts with openntpd tongue).

I'll report back smile.

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-07-15 14:53:08)

#10 2011-07-15 16:34:22

Forum Fellow
Website

Well certainly feels fixed now. Thanks guys, and onto the next issue wink.

Board footer