You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-24 01:11:22

tuxandpucks
Website

Need help browsing local network

Hey everyone,

As I have stated before on the boards here, I come from Ubuntu. I mention that because once I would install Ubuntu I could go into nautilus and click on "Browse Network" and I would see something such as, "Windows Network" and I would click on that and see workgroup and so on.

I knew what I was getting into when I switched to Arch, meaning I didn't expect anything to be done for me...I like it like that. That aside, does someone know where in the wiki I can look to setup what I described above? So far my only guess is maybe following the Avahi wiki instructions but I am not sure if that will do what I want. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randy

#2 2011-07-24 01:21:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Need help browsing local network

samba maybe?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-07-24 02:23:00

tuxandpucks
Website

I installed Samba earlier and still had no luck.

#4 2011-07-24 02:27:15

lifeafter2am

tuxandpucks wrote:

Hey everyone,

As I have stated before on the boards here, I come from Ubuntu. I mention that because once I would install Ubuntu I could go into nautilus and click on "Browse Network" and I would see something such as, "Windows Network" and I would click on that and see workgroup and so on.

I knew what I was getting into when I switched to Arch, meaning I didn't expect anything to be done for me...I like it like that. That aside, does someone know where in the wiki I can look to setup what I described above? So far my only guess is maybe following the Avahi wiki instructions but I am not sure if that will do what I want. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randy

Samba / CIFS and Avahi should put you in the correct place.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#5 2011-07-24 02:35:21

ewaller
Administrator

What environment are you using ? KDE and Gnome should do it (actually it is Dolphin or Nautilus).  I think Thunar requires the volman plugin.
Avahi is not really what you are looking for; It does play nicely with BonJour though.

Although the discovery is not automatic, I have had a lot of success using sftp instead of Samba; Any target that supports a Bash shell through ssh works as a sftp file server.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2011-07-24 13:59:42

tuxandpucks
Website

Thank you for the help. Once I installed gvfs-smb (which I found when I searched for cifs) everything is a go now.

Board footer