You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-26 03:57:59

QuimaxW
Website

RAID or not to RAID

That is the question...

Long story: Personal server at home. It's on nearly 24x7, so I'm considering enterprise class hard drives wether I RAID or not. It's a MythTV backend, file storage, print server, web server, ect. I boot off of a single drive (that I really should back up here...) and I have 4 500GB drives in a Linux software RAID 5 as the shared storage.

The drives are aging and are failing. 2 failed earlier this year at the same time. Ug. They were in warranty and I received replacements, but had to do some special tricks to get all the files recognized again. I'm still finding corrupted files (pictures, videos, ect) on the array now that i have to replace from my out-of-date backup drive. So, I'm looking to replace my storage array.

I think my options are (and feel free to add others I haven't thought of!)
1) Another RAID 5 on 3 or 4 new drives.
2) 2 x 2TB drives in RAID 1
3) single drive
4) LVM setup? (Never done this at all...still not sure of the point of it...)

Is the complexity of RAID worth it in a world in of (relatively) inexpensive large hard disks?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#2 2011-08-26 04:38:18

ewaller
Administrator

Re: RAID or not to RAID

Two comments related to the question:  What do you want from your RAID?

1. Always remember, having a redundant RAID does not mitigate the need for backups.  They [Raids] are nice because they avoid downtime in the event of a failure, but backups are still mandatory.  Do your requirements call for no down time in the event of a drive failure? Are your drive bandwidths such that replacement drives can rebuild within a reasonable period of time?

2.  Do you need the I/O bandwidth provided by the increased aggregate transfer speeds?  Is your raid controller capable of supporting the theoretical increase in bandwidth?  Is your server capable of supporting the higher bandwidths?

edit: clarified what I meant by "They"

Last edited by ewaller (2011-08-26 05:48:55)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-08-26 05:28:00

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

You will need backups with or without the RAID, so the question is more like: does the expense of the extra drive(s) for RAID warrant the additional availability if the event of failure?

ie, With a non-RAID setup, can you deal with having the server down for 3 days while you source a replacement drive and restore backups?
Or do you want to spend the extra and setup RAID so the system can be running for those 3 days?

EDIT: Personally, I want the availability, so I run RAID-1 on my desktop as well as my server.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2011-08-26 05:28:44)

#4 2011-08-26 07:27:30

ghen

QuimaxW wrote:

The drives are aging and are failing. 2 failed earlier this year at the same time.

For RAID, always buy disks of different brand or type, or at least from different batches of the same brand/type.
This makes simultaneous failure far less likely.

#5 2011-08-26 07:56:25

brain0
Developer

RAID is not complex, it is very simple. Use a RAID1 with two hard drives.

Also, use LVM. It is mandatory for any system you'd like to maintain long-term.

Board footer