You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-17 12:45:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

[SOLVED] (bbs.)archlinux.org transiently, but *frequently* down?

It's been about a month now over which I've had frequent problems connecting to this site, and it seems to be getting worse.

In no case have I had issues connecting with other websites, and in several cases I've tested with the various "downforeveryone" websites which have confirmed this site was down.  In other cases it failed to confirm, but apparently just because this site was back up by that time.

This is most annoying when a posted reply gets lost in the aether, but it's frequently just when I'm trying to check for any new activity.

When I first noticed it (~month ago) the transient downtimes would generally appear to be only for several seconds at a time, so on a failed connection I'd often be able to "refresh" a few seconds later and all would be fine.  But it's progressed now to where if the site fails to connect it's not worth trying again until later in the day.

Given that I've seen this on multiple systems and confirmed through a couple different "downforeveryone" sites, I can't be the only one seeing this, right?  Does anyone know if the bbs server is having issues?  Are they being tracked?

Last edited by Trilby (2021-08-19 02:38:00)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#2 2021-08-17 12:52:15

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] (bbs.)archlinux.org transiently, but *frequently* down?

I've also been having regular short outages, but in my case it always eventually connects after around 30s but with a database error screen. Something along the lines of 'unable to delete search results'.

It's never lasted more than a couple of minutes for me and I'm probably refreshing hundreds of times a day.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2021-08-17 12:55:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah, interesting.

I remember seeing those years ago - and I believe the solution at that time was some sort of purge of old dustbin / deleted data from the database.

I've not (yet) seen that error message lately, but perhaps I've just never waited 30 seconds - I feel like I probably have a few times, but if a page doesn't respond in 10-15 seconds I am more likely to try a refresh and / or just go away if it still lags.

I just had it happen again.  This time I waited and timed.  While I just counted myself without an actual timer, I got to just over one minute before I recieved a "connection reset" browser error, not a database error from the archlinux.org server.  But then shortly after that it worked again.

Last edited by Trilby (2021-08-17 13:04:15)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2021-08-17 12:58:24

NoSavvy

Same problem here for the last month or so. Its ONLY the Arch sites that fail to refresh/update the page. Tried different browsers etc. Usually OK in a couple of minutes but sometime longer. Never any errors shown.

#5 2021-08-17 13:19:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

FYI, I was just able to have `ping` running at the same time as having a signficant delay / timeout in the website loading.  Ping times averaged around 200ms which is indistinguishable from when the site is fully functional.  This would appear to suggest that the lag is not due to a network level issue but rather is an issue with the web server request handling (this likely would have been the prime suspect anyways, but it may be good to rule out network-level issues).

Last edited by Trilby (2021-08-17 13:20:08)

#6 2021-08-17 13:25:37

seth

ACK, frequently 503 - nothing else affected (iirc not even the wiki)

#7 2021-08-17 13:35:13

Morn

The forums have been generally very slow for me recently, e.g. clicking on "posted", "unanswered" or "active" threads takes several seconds each time before a response. Same for previewing replies. I was tempted to open a thread about it yesterday.

Obviously the server must be under hight load for some reason. Denial-of-service attack?

But it looks like archlinux.org is on some kind of Hetzner service, so maybe it's not even a dedicated server but a VPS...

#8 2021-08-17 13:47:10

d_fajardo

I can confirm the issue myself. I will be reading a certain thread but when I click on the Active link, it takes ages and most of the time I am flagged with an error.

#9 2021-08-17 13:54:20

ugjka
Website

I'm having 3-5 second lag when clicking on things

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#10 2021-08-17 14:21:57

Morn

If this site is hosted on a VPS, maybe the problem is caused by another site on the server which is currently under attack and that slows everything down...

#11 2021-08-17 16:22:54

qinohe

Seeing this too, first thought it was a problem on my network but only 'bbs.archlinux' is affected.

It started about a month ago, same as mentioned by others in this thread.

I have seen the same database error Slithery did a few times.

The outages last between a few seconds to half a minute.

Did not see the outages Trilby had lasting longer then half a minute.

Have not seen a 503 like seth did.

It's working or it isn't but no 'slow browsing' like Morn has seen.

#12 2021-08-17 17:25:40

nunopenim

To me it's same as @ugjka, just a bit of 4-5 second lag when clicking on stuff like "mark all as read" and stuff

Check my GitHub here: github.com/nunopenim

I apologize in advance if some of my comments or replies don't make any sense, English is not my main language, although I try! Thank you for understanding, you can also point out stuff I misspell or just doesn't sound right.

#13 2021-08-17 17:33:39

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

Ah, interesting.

I remember seeing those years ago - and I believe the solution at that time was some sort of purge of old dustbin / deleted data from the database.

I hate going in there.  Perhaps I'll spend some time cleaning that out this week.  I know at least one of our DevOps is participating in some diversions in the real world.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#14 2021-08-17 18:18:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I left a note in -devops:

jelle : jasonwryan: foutrelis has made some changes to the bbs which should resolve the issues of the bbs going down constantly

Fix was deployed in the last day, so if it persists (and I have been seeing it, but I can't recall the last one), someone let jelle know.

# Update: still borked

-yQQ.png

Last edited by jasonwryan (2021-08-17 18:35:51)

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#15 2021-08-17 18:59:01

Awebb

seth wrote:

ACK, frequently 503 - nothing else affected (iirc not even the wiki)

Can confirm 503s, frequent inresponsiveness and occasional timeouts.

#16 2021-08-17 22:11:54

porcelain1

I've also experienced this a couple times. @jasonwryan that's the thing that pops up when it fails to load for me too.

Behemoth, wake up!

#17 2021-08-17 22:20:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

foutrelis has made a fix that should help now. As the cache table fragments, performance will degrade again, so the team is looking at a longer term solution.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#18 2021-08-19 00:57:41

foutrelis
Developer
Website

Regular search should be reasonably usable now too.

#19 2021-08-19 02:38:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It does seem better now, thanks.

Board footer