You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 13:44:09

lseubert

Wiki - Did you know there are 10 active Arch-based Distros?

Good day all,

I have been adding to and editing the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch-based_Distros wikipage.

There are 10 active distros, and 4 discontinued distros. Do you know of any others that should be added to the list? Do you find any corrections that need to be made?

If so, please add an entry/edit to the wiki. But please check the layout guidelines found in the comment section at the top of the page beforehand.

Thank you,
Luke Seubert

"To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic."
    -- Albert Schweitzer

#2 2009-05-25 14:13:24

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Wiki - Did you know there are 10 active Arch-based Distros?

? borderless

Mr Green

#3 2009-05-25 17:25:06

lseubert

Mr Green wrote:

? borderless

Thanks for the tip. I checked out Borderless, but they lost their server support recently, and they haven't gotten the site and the distro back online and active again. There is only a mostly blank, black page, with a malfunctioning PayPal donations button.

http://www.borderlesslinux.org/

I'll check from time to time to see if they revive the project, but right now, there is nothing to link to that I can find.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert

"To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic."
    -- Albert Schweitzer

#4 2009-05-25 19:05:00

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Markku

#5 2009-05-25 19:07:11

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Every Arch installation is an Arch-based distro tongue

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2009-05-25 20:46:45

lseubert

Yup - archiso-live is already on the wikipage. I listed it by the name it goes under on its homepage, which is Arch Live! Not Arch Live, mind you, but Arch LIVE! smile Anyway, thanks for checking it out and passing along the tip. I hope to keep that page as complete and up to date as possible. Community tips help.

Xyne scribbled:

Every Arch installation is an Arch-based distro

Heh. Yeah, you got that right. Where, oh where, will I find room on that wikipage to list them all? wink

Cheers,
Luke Seubert

-- Albert Schweitzer

#7 2009-05-25 20:58:52

PJ

Not sure if it is still alive or if it is dead but there is also March Linux.
http://marchlinux.wikidot.com/

#8 2009-05-25 21:46:26

PJ

Did a search on google code and found archlive which seems to be a "Simple-Chinese live system base on Arch GNU/Linux" (I had to use google translate to understand the text on the webpage.)
http://code.google.com/p/archlive/

I almost forgot lowarch, as far as I remember it is not very active anymore.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freshmeat_lowarch/
The webpage doesn't contain anything interesting: www.lowarch.org

<edit>
Looking at the list and realize that the i586 port isn't listed, not sure if it is really a unique distribution but since the arch-ppc was listed...

archlinux-i586
http://code.google.com/p/archlinux-i586/
</edit>

Last edited by PJ (2009-05-25 21:55:43)

#9 2009-05-25 22:21:41

PJ

#10 2009-05-25 22:42:56

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

3 posts in a row, the last 2 of which have been edited... wtf? oO

(sorry, I realize that I'm not making any worthwhile contribution to this thread)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#11 2009-05-25 22:52:35

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

lseubert wrote:

There is only a mostly blank, black page, with a malfunctioning PayPal donations button.

Works for me hmm
bk3rkrab6npn0ls8yihl_thumb.png

#12 2009-05-25 23:02:21

SamC
Website

I've got to admit, the borderless project doesn't look very well thought out. For example, their forums link goes to the Chakra project.

#13 2009-05-25 23:15:47

PJ

Xyne wrote:

3 posts in a row, the last 2 of which have been edited... wtf? oO

Well, I didn't remember everything when I posted my first post.
The only one that I hadn't seen before was archlive. The rest was stuff that I had to look up since I had some more or less vague memory of those distributions. That is pretty much the reason why I didn't write everything in one post.

Last edited by PJ (2009-05-25 23:17:35)

#14 2009-05-26 05:49:39

lseubert

Thanks PJ!

I added all your recommendations to the Arch-based Distros wikipage, although I had to put some of the really minor discontinued distros into a Miscellaneous Distributions section.

Many thanks for helping make the page more completely thorough.

Cheers,
Luke Seubert

P.S. The tally is now 12, count 'em, 12 active distros, and 11 discontinued distros based upon Arch Linux. Quite impressive, all in all.

-- Albert Schweitzer

#15 2009-05-26 06:19:15

tomk
Forum Fellow

Nice page, here's a comment: I wouldn't describe archboot or larch as distros - the first is an alternative to the official Arch installer, the second an Arch-based live-CD-creator. From anything I've read, I don't think the respective developers think of them as distros either.

Just a thought, it's your page.

#16 2009-05-26 06:39:49

lseubert

tomk wrote:

Nice page, here's a comment: I wouldn't describe archboot or larch as distros - the first is an alternative to the official Arch installer, the second an Arch-based live-CD-creator. From anything I've read, I don't think the respective developers think of them as distros either.

Yeah, you raise a good point. I had pondered that one. larch sort of isn't a derivative distro, more like a meta-distro - you can use it to roll your own custom Arch distro. It is the spawner of a zillion Arch-based distros :-) Do you think that maybe larch should be put into a different category of its own - maybe "Meta-Distributions"?

As for archboot, I emailed tpowa and we chatted about the similarities and differences between archboot and the official install images. He feels that archboot is sufficiently different that it should not be considered a prototype or bleeding edge version of the official arch install images. I highlighted the major differences he pointed out in my description, to distinguish archboot from official arch.

I suppose I could put archboot into a different category, though what that might be, I can not imagine at this terribly late hour. Any suggestions anyone?

-- Albert Schweitzer

#17 2009-05-26 07:00:44

Allan
Pacman
Website

Maybe "Alternative Installers".   Or not...  tongue

#18 2009-05-26 10:07:26

stefanwilkens

note on borderless:

I'm the founder of Borderless Linux. I am pleased to announce that we in fact are merging into what is currently the Chakra Project. We will be creating a LiveCD based upon Chakara's configurations and optimizations, but with a GNOME GUI. We will be using Larch to build the CD and hope to provide all the same functionality as Chakara, except using GNOME. We have a website at Borderlesslinux.org, and was formally borderless-linux.org. The volunteer dropped us and unfortunately we aren't able to contact him, so i was forced to bring back the old site, which isn't so pretty, but does get the point across. The images hosted there are not up todate and will no longer be needed. Upon losing the site, we also lost all of our documentation  such as our Wiki and Forums. We hope that the merge will help us bring a great LiveCD  based off the wonderful Arch Distribution into a Gnome live CD version. I hope to receive feedback on what you think! If you have any skills you would like to add in and help, we will be looking! Also if I can receive feedback on the idea of a different flavor approach, similar to Canonical's approach with different flavors of Ubuntu, the only difference being the DE.

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#19 2009-05-26 16:56:33

lseubert

Hi stefanwilkins,

I have the note you posted about borderless included with the description of borderless on the Arch-based Distros wikipage. I do have it listed under discontinued distros though, since it seems inactive as a separate distro, and is now part of Chakra.

If this is incorrect, please consult with the Chakra people and edit the borderless and Chakra entries as you see fit.

Thanks,
Luke Seubert

-- Albert Schweitzer

Board footer