You are not logged in.

#51 2011-01-28 09:33:06

lie2815
Website

Re: Forums updated to FluxBB 1.4.3

Tickets created.

Last edited by lie2815 (2011-01-28 14:19:34)

Doing my best to break your forum.
FluxBB - twitter

#52 2011-01-28 09:40:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

jasonwryan wrote:

I don't really mind where on the page it appears (somewhere above the fold would be great) - as long as it is on the "new posts" page. That way, after scanning (and reading a selection of) all of the new posts, it is possible to clear them by marking them all as read.

This, exactly my opinion (probably the same as the rest of the mods).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#53 2011-01-28 10:49:20

wonder
Developer
Website

lie2815 wrote:

This definitely means, though, that we need a new place for the "mark as read" link. Especially on boards with less horizontal space, there's just not enough space. And I want to get rid of the clutter. So I'd like some feedback from you guys in regards to where (and on which pages exactly) this should and could be placed.

In my way of reading the forums i think that "mark as read" link should be after hitting "New Posts","Active topics","Unaswered topic". In this way, if nothing catches your attention you can easily mark them as read.

In the way is it right now, i have to hit back and mark as read or click index and mark but with this one, i might lose some posts.

Last edited by wonder (2011-01-28 10:51:11)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#54 2011-01-28 11:06:52

SanskritFritz
Website

What is the statuts of "my posts" now? Is there a permalink for that I can bookmark?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#55 2011-01-28 11:11:17

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Xyne wrote:

@lie2815
First, thank you for your work on FluxBB. I know how frustrating it can be when you put work into something only to get negative feedback,. Despite the criticism of this update, I want to say that I think FluxBB is great and I appreciate your efforts.

I endorse this sentiment, but also agree strongly with Xyne regarding "Show Your Posts"

A lot of my posts here are trying to help other people, and given this doing so isn't a paid job, I like to login and "deal" with all follow-up replies at once, without having to subscribe. Subscribing has 3 negative impacts as I see:
1) I don't need or want an e-mail immediately; even with a filter to send it to another folder. I get enough email as it is, and I'd rather deal with the forums when I can devote 20 or 30 minutes to it rather than all throughout the day (and night).
2) Subscribing takes extra input (clicking the "Subscribe" link, and *remembering* to click it).
3) Extra load on the infrastructure -- instead of the server having to generate my "Your Posts" page a couple of times day, it has to send an e-mail immediately as soon as someone replies to a thread, and send that to everyone who is subscribed. Certainly not an issue for me *personally* or on it's own, but once you scale up... We have ~40,000 registered users, and at a guess ~250 active topics per day. Even if only 2 people subscribed to each thread, that's 500 emails p/day for the HTTP daemon and MTA, compared to perhaps 100 generations of "Your Posts" (considering not everyone appears to use it). The load would be in bursts too when you consider threads like "I know I'm a Nerd Because", "uzbl" and "Dumbest Computing Mistake" that could have dozens of people subscribed to it which would mean dozens of emails would have to be generated and sent at once when a reply is made.

Of course then there's the issue of people who have left the community who report the notifications as Spam instead of coming and unsubscribing manually, which then has a negative impact on the spam reputation of the MTA.

Just my $0.02... And as others have said, I'm lost without that page. I apologize to anyone who doesn't get a reply from me in a thread that gets lost sad

#56 2011-01-28 11:21:10

SanskritFritz
Website

fukawi2 wrote:

Just my $0.02... And as others have said, I'm lost without that page.

QFT. Still there seems to be the workaround: go to your profile and bookmark the "Show all topics" link.

UPDATE: oops, that's not it, sorry. That just shows the topics you started.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2011-01-28 11:25:56)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#57 2011-01-28 13:44:21

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Just noticed my search didn't work, so yeah, you're right, I guess I'll have to bookmark the search page then.

Gotta love you lie2815, I see that you've only posted in forum-dedicated threads, did you sign up here only for the sake of seeing power users opinions or are you using arch too?

Oh, and you linked to twice to ticket 262 in your last post, it should be 261 and 262.

Last edited by hatten (2011-01-28 13:48:34)

#58 2011-01-28 14:19:01

lie2815
Website

I don't have enough experience for using ArchLinux yet wink
Yes, I just came here to respond to this thread (and another one a while ago), after somebody mentioned it on our support forums. It's really not that much of a biggie, as after all this community is one of the biggest one we have - and we don't have too many yet hmm.

I want to ask for feedback once more: Should the "your replies" quick search work just like the old "Show your posts" link or should it only show topics with new posts (which you contributed to)?

FluxBB - twitter

#59 2011-01-28 14:34:00

SanskritFritz
Website

lie2815 wrote:

I want to ask for feedback once more: Should the "your replies" quick search work just like the old "Show your posts" link or should it only show topics with new posts (which you contributed to)?

As for me, I vote for the old ('Show your posts') behaviour. I often skim through the list, when I have a new solution or new question to topics where there is no new post for days or even weeks. When I use the 'Author search' for SanskritFritz, this is the behaviour, right?

#60 2011-01-28 14:45:14

karol
Archivist

lie2815 wrote:

I think adding a quick search that looks like searching for your username in the author field is what people want: it shows threads to which you posted with the ones with fresh posts at the top. There should be an indication if you already went to see the new posts or not (like the blue square to the left) and a link to the latest post.

#61 2011-01-28 15:14:43

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

lie2815 wrote:

This definitely means, though, that we need a new place for the "mark as read" link. Especially on boards with less horizontal space, there's just not enough space. And I want to get rid of the clutter. So I'd like some feedback from you guys in regards to where (and on which pages exactly) this should and could be placed.

Basically there are some principles I learned to adhere to:

• Any link which removes data must not be in such a prominent position that it could be inadvertently clicked at.

• Actions like these are more logically arranged in this order:

• show overview

• show detail

• clear detail

• clear all

Hence in this specific case I would prefer the "mark as read" link either right most if there is enough horizontal room on the page, or else right aligned in a second row below the show stuff links.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#62 2011-01-28 16:32:03

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

*edit*
I somehow forgot: Thank you for deciding to re-implement the old "show your posts" behavior.

lie2815 wrote:

So I propose for the next version, which will be released very soon anyway, to add one more link to the header bar, titled "New replies", which works just like "new posts" worked before.

/snip

I think it should work just as the old "Show your posts" link. Most of the time the user will be interested in seeing new replies, but sometimes the user will just want a quick overview of the threads.

Perhaps you could make it optional via a setting in the "user activity" section of the profile. All it should need is an additional GET argument to the search page (e.g. filter=new).

lie2815 wrote:

Maybe you could add a new section to the profile named "Actions". You could cleanly organize various actions there along with related options.

To make it quickly accessible, you could add "Actions" to the #brdmenu, before or after "Profile".

Perhaps you could even add checkboxes to select which actions appear in #brdwelcome, but maybe that strays too far from the intended simplicity of FluxBB.

Last edited by Xyne (2011-01-28 16:33:46)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#63 2011-01-28 22:15:08

toofishes
Developer
Website

Space for the mark as read link? Just put it back where it f**king was. I lit them up a tad, this was totally stupid: http://fluxbb.org/development/core/tick … sakuz20150

#64 2011-01-28 23:46:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

To whoever (Pierre?) restored the "Mark as Read" link on New Posts - thank you smile

Also, there seems to be an unaccountably high level of redundancy between "New posts" and "Active topics"...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#65 2011-01-28 23:55:16

toofishes
Developer
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

To whoever (Pierre?) restored the "Mark as Read" link on New Posts - thank you smile

Apparantly you missed my rant ^^^ where I also submitted a patch upstream that I applied to our version. Either way, they applied it so it should be in the next release as well.

#66 2011-01-29 00:00:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I saw the patch, but didn't twig that you had applied it here. Thanks Dan.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#67 2011-01-29 00:27:33

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Sweet. Thanks Dan.

EDIT : However I think I might have hit a small bug. When you click on "New Posts", it shows the "Mark all topics as read". But once you navigate through those pages (if you have more than 1 pages), you can no longer see the "Mark..." link until you click New Posts again.

Not a huge deal, but I thought I'd let you know.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#68 2011-01-29 02:01:21

cb474

I agree with Xyne that I would like to see the "show your posts" link back (and I would prefer it at the top of the page). I used that all the time. It is much more useful than getting constant random email alerts of replies.

Of the many forums I regularly use this is the only forum that does not have "show your posts" type of functionality on the main index page. It's kind of astonishing to me that it was there and now it's gone. I consider this a regression, since it is so incredibly commonplace on other forums.

#69 2011-01-29 04:03:50

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

lie2815 wrote:

The original behavior was good, but I'd be happy with either of those 2 options wink
Thank-you for taking our feedback on-board smile

#70 2011-01-29 08:02:18

karol
Archivist

jasonwryan wrote:

there seems to be an unaccountably high level of redundancy between "New posts" and "Active topics"...

I've checked my subscriptions: half of ~ 200 was posted to in the last last 30 days, with 30 having posts in the last 48 hrs.
Topics older than a month rarely get any new posts, sometimes OP comes back to post that he found what the problem was.

http://forums.archlinux.fr/ have 'Messages depuis 12 | 24 | 36 heures.' - posts from the last 12, 24 and 36 hrs. It actually shows you topics that were posted to, but I like the idea.

Last edited by karol (2011-01-29 08:04:35)

#71 2011-01-29 09:33:04

cb474

fukawi2 wrote:
lie2815 wrote:

The original behavior was good, but I'd be happy with either of those 2 options wink
Thank-you for taking our feedback on-board smile

I also prefer the old "show your posts" behavior. I not only want to quickly see if any of the threads I've posted to have replies, but also often want to find an old thread I posted in for reference, because I'm revisting the issue. So the old "show your posts" behavior handily served both purpose in one simple function. Thanks.

#72 2011-01-29 11:12:41

Mektub

Each person has his/her own way of using the forum, thats obvious.

I don't miss the "show your posts" since I subscribe what interests me, but I do miss the "Show new posts since last visit"   
"Mark all topics as read" side by side that I used all the time (still present on the Archbang forums, eh! eh!).

But certainly no way of pleasing everyone, be it that someone comes with a kind of dynamic menu for the forum software.

My 2 cents.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#73 2011-01-29 12:29:16

cb474

Mektub wrote:

Each person has his/her own way of using the forum, thats obvious.

I don't miss the "show your posts" since I subscribe what interests me, but I do miss the "Show new posts since last visit"   
"Mark all topics as read" side by side that I used all the time (still present on the Archbang forums, eh! eh!).

But certainly no way of pleasing everyone...

Well, given that all of the functionalities that people are saying they miss here are commonplace on most forums that I've ever used, it certainly seems like it ought to be possible to please a lot more people, if not "everyone."

#74 2011-01-29 22:56:10

lie2815
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

Also, there seems to be an unaccountably high level of redundancy between "New posts" and "Active topics"...

Hmmm, pretty good point. But which one should be removed? The first one could be removed for power users on low-frequency boards, while on boards like this it could be just the other way around. Are people using the active topics link on here?

FluxBB - twitter

#75 2011-01-29 23:00:34

wonder
Developer
Website

lie2815 wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Hmmm, pretty good point. But which one should be removed? The first one could be removed for power users on low-frequency boards, while on boards like this it could be just the other way around. Are people using the active topics link on here?

Heh, you guys really want to make it unusable. "New posts" should stay and never think that needs to go.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer