You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-03 16:17:28

alexpnx

bluetooth problem (solved)

Ok, so i had compiled kdebluetooth from the AUR a few weeks back and it worked flawlessly. One day i was doing a pacman -Syu and an upgrade for kdebluetooth showed up and i installed it. Now, bluetooth in kde doesn't work... All the kdebluetooth programs refuce to start, the control centre module shows up a blank screen and the icon in the tray is missing (actually it's there, taking up some empty space while no icon is showing).
When starting kbtobexclient from a console i get:

WARNING: No usable bluetooth device found.
Using hci0 as default bluetooth device.
kbtobexclient: HciSocket::open()
kbtobexclient: Item -1
kbtobexclient: Service 'OBEX Object Push' used (Mon Jul 3 19:06:24 2006)
kbtobexclient: Service 'OBEX Object Push' used (Mon Jul 3 19:06:24 2006)
kbtobexclient: Send HCI inquiry command..
kbtobexclient: HciSocket::readStatus()

Also, now hciconfig shows up no devices.
Does anyone have the same problem as i do? How do i fix this?

TIA

#2 2006-07-03 17:27:24

snader

Re: bluetooth problem (solved)

The new kdebluetooth package doesn't seem to work for me either. Do you also get messages like:

hci_cmd_task: hci0 command tx timeout

in your dmesg?

#3 2006-07-03 22:34:35

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm also having problems with this. I don't use KDE, but I'm seeing that message of yours, snader. So far, I have tracked it down to the bluez-utils 3.1 upgrade a few days ago. Have a look at /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf.pacnew - some things have changed.

However, the major change happened in 3.0, which wasn't packaged for Arch - a new D-bus API was introduced. I don't know if it's the root cause of all this, but I've just posted a detailed message about the problem on the bluez-devel ML, so hopefully we'll get a response.

In the meantime, here's what I've done as a workaround. This works for my 3Com dongle, anyway - I've no other gear to test it on.

Basically, bluetooth wasn't starting at boot anymore, but I found that I could start it after boot if I stopped the bluetooth daemons, removed the dongle, unloaded the relevant module, and started again. So for the moment I've disabled bluetooth in /etc/rc.conf DAEMONS, and I boot with the dongle unplugged, plug it in when booting is completed, and start the daemons manually. At that stage, hciconfig shows the device as down, but I can bring it up successfully, and it works as normal after that.

#4 2006-07-04 07:40:59

snader

Hi tomk, thanks for your reply - your workaround works for me too. It may very well be that my problems are due to the bluez-utils upgrade, I don't use bluetooth that much and I think I didn't use it since then. Hope the ML can shed some light on this. smile

#5 2006-07-04 10:00:34

snader

FWIW, the bemused server stopped working for me too. It works properly again after removing the directory for my phone from /var/lib/bluetooth (and setting up pairing and stuff again after that).

#6 2006-07-04 13:52:52

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yeah, I'm finding the 3.1 package very unstable. I've stepped back to 2.25 for the moment.

#7 2006-07-04 16:22:12

alexpnx

snader wrote:

The new kdebluetooth package doesn't seem to work for me either. Do you also get messages like:

hci_cmd_task: hci0 command tx timeout

in your dmesg?

yes, i'm also getting the same error. hciconfig ouput:

hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 ACL MTU: 0:0 SCO MTU: 0:0
        DOWN
        RX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 events:0 errors:0
        TX bytes:0 acl:0 sco:0 commands:0 errors:0

I can't use the unplug/plug method tomk suggested because the bluetooth module is built in the laptop. Thanks anyway.

#8 2006-07-04 17:08:08

tomk
Forum Fellow

Try

hciconfig hci0 up

anyway - it might work.

#9 2006-07-04 17:35:53

brain0
Developer

I did update kdebluetooth because it didn't work with the new bluez-libs (new libbluetooth version number and such). Make sure the bluez-libs are up to date. Strange enough, kdebluetooth works without problems here (I don't run kde though). I'll have another read over your reports.

Next time, PLEASE leave a comment on the AUR page in case something doesn't work. I get notified that way.

EDIT: Ha! I think I know what your problem is, at it is not even my fault:
1) tomk mentioned it, the bluez configuration file has changed
2) hcid won't work if dbus isn't started. thus no bluetooth devices will show up. add dbus to your DAEMONS array before bluetooth.

#10 2006-07-04 17:47:09

alexpnx

tomk wrote:

Try

hciconfig hci0 up

anyway - it might work.

Thanks tomk, it works! And when i do "hciconfig -i hci0 scan", the bluetooth icon is the systray comes up.
Also, i added dbus to the daemons list and it worked on boot.

* Marking thread as solved *

#11 2006-07-04 17:53:09

brain0
Developer

alexpnx wrote:
tomk wrote:

Try

hciconfig hci0 up

anyway - it might work.

Thanks tomk, it works! And when i do "hciconfig -i hci0 scan", the bluetooth icon is the systray comes up.

Read my post again, the problem is most likely that hcid is not starting. When hcid runs, you don't need to hciconfig your device.

#12 2006-07-04 17:59:16

alexpnx

brain0 wrote:
alexpnx wrote:
tomk wrote:

Try

hciconfig hci0 up

anyway - it might work.

Read my post again, the problem is most likely that hcid is not starting. When hcid runs, you don't need to hciconfig your device.

Thanx brain0. Actually you posted while i was writing my previous post so...
Post edited.

#13 2006-07-20 13:02:36

patroclo7

I receive lots of errors concerning the dbus stuff and the inability to define the  kinds of inquiries allowed for the dongle. When I stop the service, remove the module and the dongle, reload the module an the dongle and restart the service, I am able to see the connected devices, but the error about inquiry methods is still there and I am not able to send and receive any data, nor to exchange PINs.

I saw that the PIN pairing method is changed (there is not anymore a pin-helper, the PIN is an option inside /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf), but I am not able to make it work.

I downgraded everithing to the 2.* series of bluez-libs and bluez-utils and everything works just fine. May be that marking this thread as solved is a bit optimistic. smile

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#14 2006-07-20 22:44:17

alexpnx

It's marked as solved because i'm not experiencing any further problems after starting dbus. I can communicate with my bt devices and receive and send files

#15 2006-08-29 21:11:44

matersci

I have a similar problem here, trying to make my USB bluetooth dongle to work.

Starting kbtobexclient gives

kbtobexclient: HciSocket::open()
kbtobexclient: Bind failed: No such device
kbtobexclient: Item -1
kbtobexclient: Send HCI inquiry command..
kbtobexclient: HciSocket::readStatus(ogf=1,ocf=1,timeout=1000): timeout!
kbtobexclient: Inquiry::inquiry(): Timeout.

"hciconfig" shows up no devices, dbus is in my /etc/rc.conf  "hciconfig hci0 up" gives

Can't get device info: No such device 

and after plugging the dongle, dmesg gives

usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 2
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice 

Any ideas?

PS: what daemons do I need to start if I remove bluetooth from rc.conf, to make bluetooth start manualy?

-----------EDIT------------
Solved, I just had to add usbcore to rc.conf modules

Board footer