You are not logged in.

#76 2008-06-10 14:55:30

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Welcome abroad, newcomers, I hope you'll enjoy Arch at least as much as I do smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#77 2008-06-10 20:04:49

Garns

Ok, after using Arch for about two months and lurking the forums and ML for most of that time:

Hello everyone! smile

#78 2008-06-10 20:19:18

Vintendo
Website

Hello everyone, I'm using Arch for about three months now. I'm reading along in the forums for quite a while now but never said hello. So as they say in the Netherlands: "Hallo allemaal"

Last edited by Vintendo (2008-06-10 20:19:49)

#79 2008-06-12 20:34:17

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I think this thread is more appropriate in the Newbie Corner subforum, so, moving it smile

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#80 2008-06-12 20:46:00

TornadoTDi

I posted this in another thread, but this is the correct place for it wink :

Just wanted to say that I'm very impressed with this distro. I started off with Linux a few years back - Mandrake off and on, Smoothwall, Clarkconnect, Ubuntu for a few years - and now finally Arch. I'm not terribly experienced with the guts of Linux, but wanted to force myself to learn more of it, so here I am! I followed the beginner's wiki guide to install onto my laptop, which was pretty straightforward. It feels really good to be able to hand pick the bits you need and leave out the stuff you don't!

So, thanks to all involved smile

#81 2008-06-12 20:50:09

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I have deleted that thread, as you requested wink

Have you Syued today?

#82 2008-06-12 20:59:19

TornadoTDi

Thanks finferflu!

#83 2008-06-13 02:44:35

reasa1

hi this is my 3rd installed linux distro, previous was slackware and opensuse. ive been using linux for 5 months and i believe console is the power, but its so hard to master, isnt it?) live and learn (or learn as u live smile
edit: oh yes, i printed that 52 page beginners install manual, really helpful, because i dont have another pc to open the site and consult myself during installation, and 52 pages is hard to memorize smile))

Last edited by reasa1 (2008-06-13 02:55:43)

#84 2008-06-13 03:31:33

vlengler

Hello!  Very excited about this distro.  I came to GNU/Linux about 8 years ago.  Used it off and on since then.  Mainly used for personal hobby projects for microcontroller communications and front end control GUI's for micontrollers.  I have always jumped from Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora etc... Distro OCD Hell.  For the first time I have found a Distro that I can call true Home.  Installed a few weeks ago and could not be happier.  My Wife does not understand my new found happiness.  I just wanted to thank all of you very much for the hard work you done.  I was listening to an old podcast from Linux Reality "Chess G" and this is where I heard about Arch.  Again, Super Thanks to the people who put this together and maintain it.  I will be looking over the next few weeks and see how I can also contribute.

#85 2008-06-14 16:22:23

The-Fox

Hey all.
I am new to Arch (installed it a few days ago).
I moved to Arch from Ubuntu distro, which was my first "serious" attempt for Linux.
So far I like it though its way harder to handle for a noob like me tongue
I hope I will learn from this process and eventually it will improve my Linux knowledge.
Aside from that, it seems like a great distro.

#86 2008-06-17 01:52:17

damn_it's_charles
Website

so, err, yeah, I've been on the distrohopping mood again lately, and it looks like i'm gonna land here for while, I might have to leave or stop drinking coffee if the experience stays the same - it appears that there's still a sense of humour amongst the newsletter team and on the forums. I might try and annihilate this by having clever plans like walking to the corner shop with no pants on in order to file a report for Rumor only to remember that I'm english so it's very unlikely the shopkeeper will notice unless I remove my trousers as well...

So now I've done the custom flag-waving that say's I'm a muppet, I'm going to get down to the real buisness of making things work on my desktop, breaking my Eee, and looking to see who the smug git with all the fanboys is so I can publicly ask him one of those questions.

Open Saucery isn't enough, we need Open Cakery too..

#87 2008-06-17 03:58:13

horowits

Ahoy-
  I have been lurking on the forums and wiki for about 2 months so I figured it was time to say hello.  Arch is my only linux experience to date and has been quite enjoyable.  Arch was pretty scary 2 months ago, but the archlinux community is very helpful.  Not to mention all the other resources at my disposal. I've found the answers to most of my questions and got my computer running arch with very little trouble.  So thanks to everyone who worked very hard on all of this, and I look forward to learning more about linux with you folks.

"Try not.  Do.  Or do not.  There is no try."  -Yoda

#88 2008-06-18 20:14:16

XAD

Hi,

I'm Jakob, XAD because alle the other pseudonyms I use are taken.

I installed Arch last week, after trying many many many different distro's where most failed to install, and the two that did not fail utterly, was sluggish or not quite on the bleeding edge (Mandriva and PCLOS). So now on what some would term an expert distro, I have a fully working system with bells and whistles, and I had not touched linux since sometime before y2k when getting a DK keymap just wouldn't happen in Red Hat "some low number" and I just left it. I knew basically only what you learn from a mandriva installation - nothing. I know something now and tomorrow I will know more -

CU

/J

#89 2008-06-20 19:58:05

blueskycatastrophe
Website

Hi everybody,

I am Robert, username blueskycatastrophe. I just installed Arch on a USB harddrive and, after some problems configuring GRUB, got it to boot from it. I have a eeePC 4G, so additional diskspace was required. I just got my networking working, after some fiddling with the rc.conf file... Forgot I use dhcp, so...well, anyway.. it works, I just pinged google.com and got a positive response. Pretty painless install and editing the configuration files takes me back to my slackware days.

Sooo.... I'll be using arch as a host to finish building my LFS system and after that, I want to play around with the hurd and I needed a stable system for that too. I chose Arch mostly because of pacman. Now, I'll just get X to work and take it from there.
Just thought I dropped in and said Hi...so, Hi!

#90 2008-06-20 21:59:23

josomebody

I'm jo from the U.S.A. I'm a computer science flunky and a visual artist and singer and general mad scientist-type tinkerer with all things electronic. I've been using Arch for about two weeks I think. Put it on a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5825 out of the box and am playing with it on my old Dell Inspiron 1000, and seriously contemplating putting it on my custom build PIII server running Debian Sid right now.

I like to dive right in and start helping and contributing right away, especially if there's some code or a package I need that I think others could use, and I figure this stuff out pretty quickly. I'm a big DIYer.

Please pardon any sloppy posting on my part. I'm dyslexic and have trouble catching all my typos/left-out words.

: () { : | :& } ;:

#91 2008-06-20 22:58:24

guja

#include <brain.h>
int main()
{
     printf ("\n\t Hello, arch users! \n\n");
     return 0;
}

I'm Ugljesha from Serbia. Student of Faculty of Technical Sciences in Novi Sad, Republic of Serbia, Programming, and computer sciences. In the beginning struggled with Ubuntu, afterwards driving a bit of arch, but transfered to Gentoo. Since I do not have to much time for learning Gentoo, got back to good old distro - archlinux. Hope to read you all in the future.

Life is a big chair, so just sit & enjoy.
#include <brain.h>

#92 2008-06-21 19:06:53

Acecero

Hey everyone,

I have used Arch for about a few months, I really enjoy using this as my primary distro, never I had to bother looking back at other distros, everything I wanted and needed was here. For a few years I have jumped from Suse > Debian > Ubuntu > Gentoo and now Arch. After a while of using Arch, I actually feel the comfort of GNU/Linux, everything being so simple and flexible. Arch (right now) has been the second longest used distro compared to Debian. I have Arch currently installed on my Thinkpad X61s and I could not be anymore happier. The fact that you can install packages from the bottom-up with a base install, was an enjoyable experience with a great package manager all together. It gives me great sentimental value for what I done.

What I really appreciate the most is the well documented wiki and the support of the community, I have read around the forums for the past couple of months, which allowed me to learn more about Linux then any other distro, at much more accelerated rate, so I thank you all. I hope to continue learning more.

#93 2008-06-22 23:28:47

jswirl

Hello everyone,

I'm new to both Arch and Linux, and have been
using Xubuntu for a couple of months before
switching to Arch. I'm liking it a lot smile . One
thing that I think is great about this distro is
that it has the best wiki and forum I've ever
read! Cheers.

---
My thanks and respect for all you Arch developers

#94 2008-06-23 01:04:54

varaahan

Hi All !
I am from Chennai , India aged 47.
My linux journey started in 2001-02 and there is no looking back.
I started with RH7 (for a week) and moved on to Mandrake (was a long time OS on my disk). Introduced to Slackware by a friend which made me learn linux esp. CLI, tried PCLOS, Ubuntu / Kubuntu, Debian,  Vector, Zenwalk, Slax, Puppy, Arch 64, myahos, Lunar etc.
Returned back to Arch now which has never let me down.

And pacman ! The finest asset Arch has in it ! It has made windows installers  run for their money.

And the community ! I feel as if I am in the company of my family when I am in the Arch fora.
Good Luck !

Linux learner and admirer - ALWAYS
Regd Linux User : 431318

#95 2008-06-23 08:57:57

Vladislav IV

Hi !
I'm Michael, from France. I'm quite new to Arch and Linux, although I installed Arch on my desktop (which I never use tongue) and I set up some Debian servers during my studies.

I started to dig into Arch last week, when I uninstalled Windows from my laptop. It's soooo different from all these... hem... from this proprietary and ready-to-use-and-don't-ask-questions-it-works-so-touch-nothing OS big_smile

I found Gentoo some months ago, asking myself "what Linux will I install when I drop M$ ?", and thought it was the kind of distro I wanted. Then I found Arch, and I knew it was the distro I wanted wink No bloatware, you set up the system you want, so you know how it works, how to maintain it, and you learn so many things doing this way... Oh, and you don't have to compile every piece of software... And you have a nice wiki, nice forums, and a nice logo big_smile

So Hello World ! It's my first serious attempt at using Linux in my every day life, and it's also my first contact with the famous Open Source Community wink

#96 2008-06-24 12:27:31

superrad

Hi, I'm Ben. Been using linux for a few years now and tried quite a few different distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Mint, OpenSuse, Sabayon, Meppis) tried Arch before when I first started using linux but found it too hard to setup so went with another distro but after getting bored of ubuntu i decided to give it another go and I'm loving it so far, brilliant documentation on the forums and wiki. Hope to learn a lot more about linux and Arch and become part of the community.

#97 2008-06-24 12:46:43

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Wow! So many newcomers smile
Welcome to Arch!

Have you Syued today?

#98 2008-06-24 18:52:11

ShodanjoDM

Hi guys

Newbie here, been using Linux for the last two years but never really dare to install Arch until last week big_smile

Thanks to the excellent wiki, without which I won't be able to install this wonderful distro. At first I thought it will be too complicated, especially since I managed to ruin my own partition (don't ask, my own stupidity roll), but on the second try, it all went smoothly.

Looking forward to learn & share! cool

#99 2008-06-25 21:17:16

shydy

Hello everyone, I'm Danilo from Rome Italy
I started out using linux (linux mint) one year ago and now coming round to Arch. It's more hard but I hope that I can learn more about Arch so it will became simple. Good Wiki and Forum. Bye wink

#100 2008-06-25 21:45:43

Barrucadu
Website

I just realised I never posted here!
Well, hello, I am Michael, and have been using Linux exclusively for over half a year now. I have a post on my blog detailing my distro hopping and how I got into Linux here http://blog.yarrt.com/2008/05/my-arch-way/
Moving on to other things you won't find out about me without really looking; I am arachnophobic, a minimalist, and a masochist*.

*When I get everything set up the way I like it I consider it boring and change it all completely to make life difficult and interesting. Hence my installation of PulseAudio (which disappointingly worked perfectly with Flash) and Emacs.

Board footer